Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

women's bow recommendations

muddy

Since the R100 my wife has finally expressed interest in shooting a bow. After she talked with a recent lady about shooting/bowhunting she has expressed a little more interest. What are good starter bows for a petite lady to learn with?

My wife shoots the Browning MicroMidas. I know there are quite a few women who shoot the hoyt youth bows also(trykon sport, etc...)
beerchug.gif

Glad to hear she's interested. MOST of the time it's nice to be able to have them (wife) shoot with ya.
evil.gif
evil.gif
evil.gif

My wife has the Hoyt Selena and she likes it plus it shoots well. It would be a good choice for you muddy.
grin.gif

I jut got Amanda a new bow. She is now shooting a short draw AR and it is sweet! Browning makes some great bows and PSE has some nice ones as well. The Short draw diablo is an amazing bow! There are a ton of great lines for her to choose from!
Amanda went from the Micro Midas to the Short draw for increased poundage. But they are extremely light and very forgiving! Parker also has a few nice lines for women, and we have a nice used Alpine in stock too!!!

A lot of it is feel, and expense. Depending on what amount of money you want to spend there are a ton of different options!

[ QUOTE ]
Mine like's her Hoyt.

[/ QUOTE ]
So does mine. She shoots a Vectrix and has a short draw length(25" or 26" I can't remember) and is hard to fit in the upper end high performance line of bows. We have to twist the string a couple of twists to shorten it up. The Bowtech Equalizer is an excellent womans/short draw bow. The industry doesn't offer a lot of high performance bows for women or youths with short draws and lighter poundage bows to fit their needs and wants.

bowtech mirranda, was their womens/youth bow, look for one of those one ebay/AT. lots of the newer bows have a wide range of draw weights that would probably fit most women (depending on what they can comfortably pull) equalizer goes down to 29# and 24-27 1/2" draw. i would take her to a shop, see how many pounds she can comfortably pull, and hold. check her draw length, and see what bows are available. that equalizer has limbs that run 29-49-50-60.

looks like every bow hoyt makes goes can be had with 40 pound limbs, except for the selena, it goes down to 30, and the trykon sport, it goes down to 20.
those are the only 2 catalogs i have here. a cabelas catalog will have the specs on the browning micro bows,

I have my plans on bowshops to visit, I just gotta try and not push my opinions too hard, seen a lot of gals get fed up with their know it all husbands. Thanks for the responses.

when you go to the shops, let her find something that feels good. if she doesn't plan to hunt, show her the target colors.

chicks dig color schemes, let her pick out fletching colors, wrap colors. keep her involved in the whole process, so she feels its as much her project as possible, and not something she is getting pushed into

[ QUOTE ]
when you go to the shops, let her find something that feels good. if she doesn't plan to hunt, show her the target colors.

chicks dig color schemes, let her pick out fletching colors, wrap colors. keep her involved in the whole process, so she feels its as much her project as possible, and not something she is getting pushed into

[/ QUOTE ]

Already ahead of you on all of that stuff, I just want to know what models other gals are using, that's the point of the post.

Barb shoots a Mathews Mustang and really loves it. I on the other hand didn't like getting abused by her as she started beating me at the shoots.

My fiance shoots a browning micro adrenaline, that thing is smoking at 50 lbs and shooting Gold tip Entradas
smile.gif

One useful thing I found with kids and novices was to always use a whisker biscuit rest. When arrows don't fall off the rest and they can't screw things up then shooting is more enjoyable. Dare I mention the "M" brand bow?? They have some nice short draw models.
cool.gif

Mine shoots my old, old PSE that your Dad fit down for her. Other wise she actually prefers to shoot a long bow that we got at a yard sale, lol.

Well guess this post doesn't help you any, but hey she does have the option of a stick bow.

My wife is shooting a Jennings right now, after the season though we might be upgrading to the Martin Leopard. Nice shooting little bow.

[ QUOTE ]
What are good starter bows for a petite lady to learn with?

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon Muddy, you're among friends here, you can be straight with us and we won't make any wise cracks. Are you having trouble handling a full grown man bow?

I here there's some really cute colors coming out this fall. Whatever you do, make sure to have your skin tones analyzed before selecting a color. If you're not in a big rush, rumor has it that the winter collection is ADORABLE!

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom