Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Women's rifle

The girlfriend shot here first deer this past weekend in Wisconsin with a bow, and now wants to get a rifle for deer. I am thinking that she is going to need a youth model, she is only 5'. Something that does not kick like an SOB and could reach out to 300 yds would be the perfect rifle/cartridge. Thanks for the suggestions.

Alot of deer have fallen to a .243. I've heard good things about the new Tikkas.
Weatherby and Remington both make youth models as well.

Last edited:
The .243 is a great choice! In Wisconsin, I suspect that long range is not a huge factor so a larger diameter in the same case class may serve you/her well also. The 7mm-08 or the 308 are great choices also. Though not as common, a 257 Roberts or a 260 Rem are also great options. Most major manufacturers off a youth or compact model that should fit the lady hunter. Congrats to her on the bow kill & to you on a finding a great GF!!!!

338 or 416 would work. Just kidding, the 250, 257, or 260 are great choices

Sent from my iPod touch using IW

I would be single again if I put her behind a 338 or 416.

Is the 243 able to get the job done, if the shot is not put in the perfect spot every time? I am leery of the bullet being smaller than others.

First choice 25.06

Second choice .243

Both great, but the 25.06 is one flat shooting sob with little to no kick.

First choice 25.06

Second choice .243

Both great, but the 25.06 is one flat shooting sob with little to no kick.

Two great choices. My wife used a Remington 700 in .243 for antelope in wyoming this past October and loves it.

Agree 25.06. Watched a guy shoot a doe at 500 yards with one. Unbelievable to me growing up around shotgun and muzzleloaders. .243 is great too!!

The .243 is a great choice! In Wisconsin, I suspect that long range is not a huge factor so a larger diameter in the same case class may serve you/her well also. The 7mm-08 or the 308 are great choices also. Though not as common, a 257 Roberts or a 260 Rem are also great options. Most major manufacturers off a youth or compact model that should fit the lady hunter. Congrats to her on the bow kill & to you on a finding a great GF!!!!

I agree with the doc. I've seen plenty of elk and deer fall to a .243 out here, including some longer shots (300+ yds). With the right bullet selection, you'll have nothing to worry about. 7mm-08 is another great choice. My 10-year old daughter LOVES hers. We put a muzzle brake on it to further reduce the already mild recoil. That will take a bull elk out to 400 yds with the right bullet. Other cartridges mentioned (.308, any of the .257 cals and the .260 Rem) are also solid choices. You can have a quality brake installed to ensure comfort all day long.

Another option that would really help with recoil and have an adjustable stock are some of the AR platforms. Calibers like 7.62x39, 6.8 SPC, .243 WSSM, 300 blackout, 6.5 Grendel and in the AR10 the .308 would be an excellent choice. I know they even make deer rounds for the .223 and there are other rounds for these platforms but these are the ones that come to mind. Plus they are just a fun toy to have!

Last edited:
Savage makes a great women's rifle and 243 is anexcellent caliber. As others have said 25 06 is a great caliber as well. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Savage in .25-06 or 7mm-08. My wife is little and shoots my 25-06 without any recoil issues. She grew up shooting so that has alot to do with it but ive had a few first time shooters behind it and they never had any problems.
Most all of the 6mm catridges are very mild in the recoil department and are flat shooting

Thanks for the information everyone. I am going to look around and see what ammo is readily available in her area, I have not started reloading yet so we will be stuck with buying factory rounds for till I do.

Top Bottom