Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Woodhaven Calls Help

JakeWym

Arrow Chucker
I bought a Woodhaven Cherry Classic slate call last week. I watched the DVD that came with it, and I cannot get it to produce yelps very well at all. Now I will never claim to be a champion caller, but I feel like this call should almost be able to yelp by itself. Any insight or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Which striker did you get with the call, I know when I first played with them there was one that sounded substantially better with the Cherry Classic. It shouldn't make that much of a difference however. How about purrs do they sound ok, otherwise the slate and or glass underneath might be loose, usually when this happens you can still get sounds to come out they just sound horrible.

Kratz

Purrs and clucks sound fine. The yelps are very inconsistent. It came with two strikers, both supposed to be hand matched. I am going to assume that it is operator error. How long does a call take to "break in"?

calls dont need to be broken in. Try pushing a little harder and make smaller circles with the striker, and make sure the striker and call are conditioned well. its amazing how hard an unconditioned call is to run!

good luck!

If the purrs and clucks are fine then it is more than likely not a loose glass or slate. Keep working at it, like Thomas said no break in time just make sure the call and striker are conditioned. If you know anyone that is really good with a slate call see what they can do with it.

Kratz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Send it home with Dewy. I will try it out for you... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>
Better yet...I will bring it down and let you call me ONE in with it. Operator error I am sure.

Jake,
That's strange, like you said it should almost yelp by itself being an upper end slate. Have you tried scuffing up the surface of the slate yet? I want to say the Woodhaven calls come with a piece of emery but not sure. I like to use a piece of 3M Scotchbrite green scouring pad instead but anyway...maybe it just had something on the face of it?? Just a thought. Kinda weird though that purring works, usually that's the first thing to suffer when a slate needs scuffed. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Must just be me, but I have a $10 ol' betsy that I can make sound better. I have tried scuffing the surface, and keeping the striker tip cleaned. Once in awhile it sounds o.k., but I cannot produce anything consistent. Like Limb and Kratz said, maybe I just need a good lesson.

I have had problems with stikers on several occassions too, when they first come out of the package they are often very flat and in my opinion very hard to work with. I like to take the sandpaper to the entire outer edge of the striker also, creating a more rounded shape or almost a slight ledge on the outer millimeter or so of the striker. Try sanding that baby down too and see what happens.

Kratz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkratz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have had problems with stikers on several occassions too, when they first come out of the package they are often very flat and in my opinion very hard to work with. I like to take the sandpaper to the entire outer edge of the striker also, creating a more rounded shape or almost a slight ledge on the outer millimeter or so of the striker. Try sanding that baby down too and see what happens.

Kratz </div></div>
Thanks...I' give that a try. When you guys say to make sure that a call is "conditioned", what do you mean? Just roughed up good? Thanks for the advise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bushman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What grit sandpaper are you guys using on your strikers? </div></div>
I guess I don't know...never thought of it. What should I be using?

120 grit is a good happy medium. that will work for both the call surface and the striker. that is if the call is glass, if the call has a slate top, you should never use sand paper, just a scotchbrite will work.

My call is slate. I have scotchbrite for the slate, just wondering what grit is best for the strikers? Is 100 OK?

Here is your fix,

lightsoutcalls.com

P1000580.jpg

P1040532.jpg

P1000599.jpg

Top Bottom