Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wooly Mammoth

Shovelbuck

Rackaddicts post about the snake in the rock got me to dig out some of my stuff today. It doesn't have anything to do with deer but I thought I'd share some pics. This is my favorite peice of wooly mammoth tusk I have. I have bigger ones but they don't have the colors this peice has. This one is approx. 6 in. X 6 in.X 2 in. I don't even like to think about all of this stuff I cut up years ago for knife handles.
frown.gif
Not doing that anymore.
tusk1.JPG

The tusk peices I find in the rock pile of a gravel pit that my Dad works at. Lots of petrified wood and mammoth teeth along with prehistoric camel and horse bones. Here's a bison leg bone that I had aged at 7,000 years. I found it while out scouting for deer. Jay
bison%20bone.JPG

Shovelbuck,Thats cool.Iwas looking for some local chert or lowwer grade flint to chip out some arrowheads and found 2 pieces of antler once.It was in the oversize pile at the sand and gravel pit.Had the archies look at them and they said one was caribou and the other one was exstint antalope.I was amazed beings this is Iowa.I always wanted to find a mastadon tusk.

Sweet! I've got to find me some gravel pits.
I've got some mammoth teeth at work that a lady brought out for me to identify. She said they'd been laying around in her garden for years and wanted to know what the funny looking rocks were. When I told her they were mammoth teeth she said oh, well do you want them? Uhh... sure. I could take those off your hands, no problem...

Greywolf, What's really strange about the pits is they will pump up a ton of bones in one spot. When they move the pump only 10 ft. they won't get anything. Move it again and here it comes again. Sure is fun looking through the discard piles!

Shovelbuck, That stuff is neat. I need things real obvious. I would have never known a wooly Mammath tooth from any other rock and would have walked right past the Bison bone figuring it to be "just another ol' cow bone." I need to pay more attention to things!
smile.gif

When I was a kid I played by a creek that ran through our land in Wisconsin. Once time, we discovered some fossils in the sandstone rocks, and for the next several weeks I think I turned over nearly ever rock in that whole creek trying to find more. I don't have anything from mammoths or stuff like that, but I did get a box full of fossils. My two favorite pieces include one with a really neat fossil of coral, seashells and fish bones and the other a neat piece of shale with some fossilized grass leaves in the middle when I cracked it in half along the grain of the rock.

I've always said that if I ever found a bottle and a genie popped out and offered me some wishes, one of them would be to go back in time to see what my hunting land looked like at various points in history -just before and just after it was homesteaded, when Native Americans inhabited it..and even before that. I also think it would be cool if you could see what the biggest buck that ever walked across the land was.

This is a great topic and I think it shows how hunting really gets us connected to the land we hunt. Its just not about getting a deer, but its about experiencing and learning about nature, weather, geography, biology, and other natural sciences, archeology and history.

Oh, and my second wish would be for a 190 class typical for the coming season!

This stuff is a whole diffrent sickness for me besides deer hunting. I can get lost in the woods looking for this kind of stuff as quick as looking for deer sign. I find myself lost in thought trying to picture what it may have been like when it existed. Cool stuff! The pictures I've seen of stone tools found embedded in bones just sends me off the deep end.
shocked.gif
(My wife figures I'm there all the time with my interests)

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom