Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Worst food plots ever!!

Wi transplant

PMA Member
I thought couldnt get worse than last yr in my part of se iowa but this yr is pathetic!!! Only 2 small rains on my farm since first week of Aug! Just got done spreading 200lbs of rye over the failed brassicas and praying for some moisture next couple of weeks!! Just venting and praying!!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I hear you man, if misery loves company...I think we are not much better off. Hopefully that helps! :)

For real though...I will admit that the repetitive failures and challenges on plotting this year have worn me down. I planted not an insignificant number of acres THREE separate times and just about everything else twice. Harrumpf!! And while I am not totally wiped out, I have less food now than I normally do.

I drilled some rye about 2'ish weeks ago to salvage some of the plots...hopefully. I have not been back to see how that fared...I hope I got something out of it, we did catch a couple of rains following that and it doesn't take much to get some rye going...so hopefully...

Then our area is experiencing significant EHD die off...so my excitement for an upcoming hunting season has really never been lower than this year. It's so bad that I really think I will be fishing, I said FISHING :), this fall instead of archery hunting! :) I do plan on hunting some once we have had some colder weather. Right now I would like to see what deer are still alive and healthy prior to putting a couple of them in the freezer.

I hear you man, if misery loves company...I think we are not much better off. Hopefully that helps! :)

For real though...I will admit that the repetitive failures and challenges on plotting this year have worn me down. I planted not an insignificant number of acres THREE separate times and just about everything else twice. Harrumpf!! And while I am not totally wiped out, I have less food now than I normally do.

I drilled some rye about 2'ish weeks ago to salvage some of the plots...hopefully. I have not been back to see how that fared...I hope I got something out of it, we did catch a couple of rains following that and it doesn't take much to get some rye going...so hopefully...

Then our area is experiencing significant EHD die off...so my excitement for an upcoming hunting season has really never been lower than this year. It's so bad that I really think I will be fishing, I said FISHING :), this fall instead of archery hunting! :) I do plan on hunting some once we have had some colder weather. Right now I would like to see what deer are still alive and healthy prior to putting a couple of them in the freezer.
We might have to meet up and fish rathbun this fall?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

It was a struggle to get late soybeans to grow due to summer drought, then I got a good rain on my August brassica only to have most of them die to drought, and now my cereal grain could die due to no rain. It's brutal. I came from Illinois, but I've never experienced a year like this with basically no rain except in a couple of big downpours all at once.

I started from scratch 2 years ago with no tillable acres, no equipment and no experience. The dry weather the last two years has proven to be an enormous challenge.
I did get two additional 1/3 acre plots opened up, turned to tillable and no till drilled with alfalfa this year. The deer are really responding well but I don’t believe the plots will provide any forage after the first hard frost.
Next year I’m hedging my bets and converting some of my ladino clover over to more alfalfa hoping it will fair better in hot, dry years.
I just ordered some cereal rye which I plan to broadcast over any bare spots where the clover failed when rain does come back into the forecast. And what clover is still green, I plan to try to water with a water wagon the next few days…Ugg.

Top Bottom