Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Young Bird Tones?

bowhuntr311

IowaWhitetail Addict
I am still such a novice when it comes to longbirds that I have very little knowledge of language. I am wondering along the lines of the "ki-ki" and the purr.

I have been working daily with my few diaphram calls. I have a sonic dome, and a raspy hen. I can do most hen calls to what I think is decent imitation. I want to try using the ki-ki call while hunting but if I use my "raspy hen" call it is loud and deep. My sonic dome I can keep at a decent volume and is WAY more high pitched. From what I have read and understand the ki-ki seems to be used by young birds and not really by the mature ones? Is this correct? How loud should this call be?

Second, is the Purr? I have listened to several MP3s of purr and read and watched things on the purr. This call should be kept very quiet. Correct? Does the tone matter on the purr?

Thanks.

for a keekee, you won't want a raspy call. the more rasp, the older the bird. try a single reed with few or no cuts in the reed. as it is a call of the younger birds, it is more of a fall call, but like anything, it can work on the right bird. its the call of a young bird learning to yelp. wich is the keekee run. it starts out with a couple keekee whistles, and then goes to a yelp or two. i used to use a diaphram for it, but i can't remember which reed configuration i used. now i can do it with my voice.

if you think your purr is too loud, you can muffle it with your gloved hands cupped around your mouth. its an easy call to do with a glass or slate. although, it may sound loud in your house when you are practicing, you might think different when you are out in the woods

picturk14.GIF

barbed.gif

Kee Kee Run
The kee kee is the lost call of young turkeys and variations made by adult birds. It's often associated with fall hunting, but can be used successfully in the spring. This is what it sounds like. A variation of the call, the kee kee run is merely a kee kee with a yelp.
Kee Kee

Purr
Purring is a soft, rolling call turkeys make when content. It can usually be heard by feeding birds. This is not a loud call, but is good for reassuring turkeys as they get in close to your position.
Purr

For more information about turkey vocalizations see Turkey Calling 101 in this forum. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

barbed.gif

398ibalogo_1_.gif
picturk15.GIF
[
PM
Ron Wyllie
Southwest Iowa IBA Area Representative
[email protected]

Top Bottom