Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youngster's first bird

SWIABOONER

PMA Member
I took my parents neighbor hunting during the youth season. We went Friday night to try and roost a bird, it was so windy we didn't hear a thing. Yesterday morning we sat up and only heard a few distant gobbles so right after sun up we moved on a bird and got close to where I thought I last heard him gobble. We set up and did some light clucking and purring. Next thing I see is a gobbler coming right at us at about 60 yards. The bird went down into a dry stream bed and I told Tucker, to get his gun ready. Next I could hear the bird spit and drum but I couldn't see him. Then he let out a gobble. Tucker about jumped out of his camo. Right after that the tom started putting and took off back up the hill. So we were shutout in the morning but he got a good taste of turkey hunting. At about 11:30 we took off for another spot. We had just crossed the gate and went about forty yards when I saw a turkey walking away from us. We dropped to our stomachs and I started to call. The bird strutted right in front of us at about 15 yards Tucker dropped him in his tracks. It was a great bird too. 26lbs 1in spurs and a 11in beard. I'll post pics when I get them from his mother.

waytogo.gif
congrats

Congratulations! He'll remember that day for the rest of his life. It's always a great thing to be there for someone's first bird!
waytogo.gif

Sounds like a huge bird and a very exciting hunt, congratulations to you both!
smile.gif

Oh man I can't wait until Friday. I am ready to put the hurt on those gobblers. Tell him Congrats on the harvest.

That's awesome ... sounds like a hunt to remember for a long time ... he'll be hooked for sure!!!
-Longspurs-

Top Bottom