Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Your thoughts on the hit update!

QDM

For all those that read and replied to my post a few days ago I wanted to thank you and report how it turned out. After no sleep on monday night, I'm sure most of you know about that feeling, I was less than optimistic after it rained all night long. I'll save the long story for the hunt and sum up the findings. I found the buck about 1 pm yesterday, unfortunately the yotes had gotten to the hind quarters. But the front quarters and the cape are undamaged.

Anyway, for the good story. I skipped school on monday to hunt, which turned out to be a great decision. I left Cedar Rapids about 11 am and I was sooo excited because I was heading to my favorite stand. This is the type of stand that you see deer from all day long. BOTTLENECK, behind me there's a one-hundred acre timber and in front of me probably a five-hundred acre timber. To my left a fifty acre patch of switch-grass and my right a couple of corn and bean fields totalling a hundred acres. But the best part of this stand is that I can see for miles and it makes you feel like your on top of the world. As I'm driving I see deer out in numerous fields along the way and keep getting more and more excited. The temps are low, the sky is over-cast, it's spitting rain and one more thing~it's november~, what more could a guy ask for. About noon I get up in the stand and immediately see deer. About 1000 yards away I see a giant chasing does in a corn field. I see a few more does come and go and at 2 pm it happens...

I here a commotion from my left, in the switchgrass, I stand up just as a mature doe barrels past my stand at 25 yards. I'm thinking this is it because her tongue is about to fall out of her mouth and she can't catch her breath. I turn for the bow and just as I clip on the release I see him coming through the grass. It all happened in a matter of seconds. I drew as he was closing in on my shooting lane. Meh! Meh! there he is, stopped quartering away at 25 yards. Instict takes over and I let it fly. The shot appeared a little off as you probably know from my last post. However, due to the angle and my excitement the shot was better than previously thought. The Wasp Jak-Hammer destroyed the liver. Sorry it got so long but I still can't stop thinking about that hunt. Hope the story wasn't too long and boring. For all that might be interested he grossed right at 145 and I couldn't be happier!

Pictures to follow

waytogo.gif

Excellent job, way to keep looking! Heck of a nice buck. Locally, guys have found 3 out of 5 on next-day searches. I think the high winds are messing up alot of shots this year.
mad.gif

Jason,

One of your former teachers says congratulations!
Very nice buck!

Top Bottom