Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth 20 Gauge Load?

Central Iowa

Life Member
We need some help. My brother in law bought my nephew a songle shot youth 20 gauge to use during youth season. Having short arms he had a hard time finding a gun that would fit him and he found a H&R youth gun that fit. The problem is when he stuck a three inch Turkey load in the gun it showed him no mercy and he doesn't want to shoot it again with those shells (I don't blame him!). He did some practicing with some regular loads and all was well. Not being big gun turkey hunters we don't know what to do. Would a regular load of 6 shot be enough? What are your recomendations?

A little late for my advice now. Let kids shoot their gun with real light dove and quail loads just to practice shooting their gun.

You find the best turkey load that patterns good out of their gun when you are by yourself.

Slip that load in the gun the morning of the hunt. They will be so excited they won't even feel the recoil on one shot at a turkey.

You never want a youngster to fear the recoil of their gun.

As Shredder said, a heavy load of 6 shot will do the trick if you limit the range of the shot.

Yeah, Ghostie has the key, you need to use a little deception with some 2 3/4" trap loads at the range. the adrenaline pumps so hard when those toms are coming he will never know the difference. Do the same with deer slugs in the future!!!

Your brother might want to put some weight in the stock too. Trap shooters sometimes do that to help with recoil. Those little 20's can be barrell heavy and this will also help balance the gun.

Shooting sticks also help keeping a gun steady or for kids with short arms.Also helps keeping a kids arms from getting tired when waiting for those last few steps on a turkey or deer coming in.

[ QUOTE ]
Shooting sticks also help keeping a gun steady or for kids with short arms.Also helps keeping a kids arms from getting tired when waiting for those last few steps on a turkey or deer coming in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great advice!!!
waytogo.gif

Shooting sticks are a must for youth hunters!

Travis,
my cousin used regular 2 3/4 pheasant load 6 shot last year and smoked a turkey at 30 yards.

i know pheasant/target loads work, but like Ghost said, you must limit the distance, 30 yards sounds like a stretch although i know its been done,
one BB is all it takes to kill a big gobbler, but i like a little more insurance.....
just getting him out there is awsome, hope he kills one!!!!
Best of luck

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Ghostie has the key, you need to use a little deception with some 2 3/4" trap loads at the range. the adrenaline pumps so hard when those toms are coming he will never know the difference. Do the same with deer slugs in the future!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinkin the EXACT same thing! Shoot sum lighter loads at the range... but when you are shooting at somethin and not just cardboard... he wont tell the difference! When u shoot Slugs on the range, your shoulder will feel it after a while... but when ur shooting at a deer... it feels like ur shooting a .22! I love it and trust me.. he wont tell the difference!

I am with the shoot lighter loads then switch crew. That is what I have done with my seven year old. We are shooting the same gun that you have. Winchesters 3 in #5s turkey seem to pattern very good for us. I also cut down the stock and added a recoil pad.

I would suggest one of the aftermarket recoil pads. Also be sure to make your nephew use hearing protection at the range. Alot of recoil anticipation can be attributed to the noise of the muzzle blast. Good luck in fixing the problem-it could be tough since he already got rocked by the 3 in mags.

I didn't think my cousin would know the difference either when I slipped him my 12 guage with a 3.5 inch mag. I promised him it wasn't much different than his 20 guage. Well as luck would have it we got a shot and he was on his knees on a terrace and that gun put the turkey and him both on their backs
grin.gif
He didn't seem to mind though
grin.gif

My buddy last year bought some goose load and it didnt seem to have the kick that the turkey loads have and it sure did a number on a tom I called to him.

Top Bottom