Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth bow

Shef24

I'm looking for a youth bow for my 4 year old that will be 5 in September, what do you guys recommend? Don't want to spend a lot of money on one.

Hoyt Ruckus JR or Diamond Atomic - both super adjustable in length and draw weight - both under $200. (Make sure you have someone who knows what they are doing set it up correctly for you - should be no extra charge for this from where you buy it)

DO NOT buy one of the $69 plastic bubble package chinese bows with plastic riser and limbs, cord for a string and very little if any adjustablility. I get so many disappointed kids in the shop who's parents try to save $$ and get them one at a box store and can't get them to work right, bring it to me and find out they bought junk that won't work right. Bow shoots like #^@%! and they end up in a dusty closet and the parents think "my kid just doesn't like archery." Fact is if they get a good bow the kid will love it and use it a lot more.

My understanding that the diamond atomic is a very light bow too. May be something to consider in addition to draw weight. I'm looking for a bow for my little girl and know she needs something light if she is going to shoot more than a few arrows.

Both my boys are shooting the diamond atomics. one is 3 and the other is 5. They are sweet little bows. Very adjustable. Which is nice when they are growing like weeds at this age. And surprising very accurate.

My daughter is 6 and has been shooting her Diamond Atomic since she was 4. Like said it has great adjustability. She loves shooting it. She is very small but has no problems with the Atomic turned down. I highly recommend it

Hoyt Ruckus JR or Diamond Atomic - both super adjustable in length and draw weight - both under $200. (Make sure you have someone who knows what they are doing set it up correctly for you - should be no extra charge for this from where you buy it)

DO NOT buy one of the $69 plastic bubble package chinese bows with plastic riser and limbs, cord for a string and very little if any adjustablility. I get so many disappointed kids in the shop who's parents try to save $$ and get them one at a box store and can't get them to work right, bring it to me and find out they bought junk that won't work right. Bow shoots like #^@%! and they end up in a dusty closet and the parents think "my kid just doesn't like archery." Fact is if they get a good bow the kid will love it and use it a lot more.

Best advice, IMO right there. My 10 year old daughter has been shooting a Ruckus for 2 years now and loves it. My 6-year old son has been shooting the Diamond Nuclear Ice since he was 4, but only because he was strong enough to pull back the 10-lb low setting. The Atomic goes lower (6 lbs?). Great choices on either bow!

As for youth bows you cannot go wrong with Mission. We went and shot several bows before deciding and it was not a hard decision after he shot the Mission. They are extremely adjustable and rock solid. My nephew has dropped his from the tree stand and put it through what a typical kid would and has never had any problems. They shoot great and are light and compact to accomadate the youth.

Question maybe someone can help me with for my son, almost 9 years old. I think the Diamond Atomic would be a good fit for him, but worried he may grow out of it quickly. Wondering if I should step up to the Infinite Edge or Mission Craze, as they have much more room to grow with him into his teen years. Thoughts?

Question maybe someone can help me with for my son, almost 9 years old. I think the Diamond Atomic would be a good fit for him, but worried he may grow out of it quickly. Wondering if I should step up to the Infinite Edge or Mission Craze, as they have much more room to grow with him into his teen years. Thoughts?

Both of those are great choices and the route to go for growing kids. I think Buck Hollow sports in Pella carries the Infinite Edge.

AT 9 I would look into the Infinite Edge instead of the Atomic - he would only be able to shoot the atomic for a short time until he outgrew it and the new Infinite Edge Pro he will never outgrow. I have all the new 2015 Infinite Edge Pro's in stock as well as a few of last years Infinite Edge marked way down.
We also stock the Hoyt Ignite in a similar multi-adjustable bow.

Almost ended up with the Craze, but went with the Hoyt Ignite. First time I've ever had a Hoyt in my house, but sure made for an excited kid. He is now set for many years. Thanks for the advice guys.

Top Bottom