Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth season misery!!

BOWSTRING

Well took Friday off to take the boy hunting. I'd like to have a great story with a nice deer pic but that's not the case.
We got to the blind I made after 5pm. Scraped some leaves out and got settled in for the evening. Then they came and came in force. SKEETERS!!! Holy crap they must have just had a batch hatch. I've been out there on and off all summer and have never encoutered so many. After about an hour of both of us flailing around like fish out of water I was ready to go with what little blood we had left. Inbetween swatting and cussing I looked out a shooting window and there was a doe staring me down at 20 yards. The boy had his head on the seat looking the other way so I knew there was noway she would get shot. I froze and told him to not move. She turned and stomped her feet and started blowing for about a minute just to let everything else now where we were.
We had about the best hour left but we packed up and retreated hopeing the next morning would be cool enough to keep the skeeters at bay.

Saturday-
Thought it would be cool enough we wouldn't have the bug problems. Key word being THOUGHT. They were not nearly as bad as the night before thankfully.
We got to the other blind about 6am. I leaned back against the tree and the boy laid down for a little nap. I woke him up about 7 and had him sit up incase something came by. We were getting bored so I tickled the antlers together lightly then sat back and waited. Didn't think it would do anything just passing time.
Well a few minutes later I looked over and there was a doe staring me down again. I had the boy get ready when she started circling in front of us. We managed to get the gun up and the saftey off. She stopped again and I gave him the go ahead but a tree was in the way. She then walk up in front of us. Now she's maybe 15 yards quartering towards. I told him to put it on her shoulder and shoot. I keep an eye on her waiting for the shot and nothing. I look down at my son and he's shaking like a cat poopin razor blades. The deer runs of and we take the gun down. I asked why he didn't shoot just to see what he says. He said I was shaking to much I put it on her shoulder then it would end up on her butt. Atleast he knew enough not to take a bad shot.
After that we packed up and headed out. On the way by the other stand we saw another deer right beside the other blind we knelt down. I was thinking she was young enough she might give him a shot. But when kneling we could only see her head then she ran off.
Well after sitting on the groud for two days and having seen deer both days but not until they were on top of us. I think it's just to thick and they really come out of nowhere with all the cover.
I broke down and got us a buddy stand and fought thru the skeeters Saturday afternoon to put it together and up on a tree.
So hopefully we'll be able to get a little warning before it's time to shoot. Hopefully he doesn't get the DOE fever again.
Minus the skeeters and blood loss it was a good hunt both days.
Looking forward to this weekend to see what happens.

I had fun last weekend with my daughter too (this is her first year as the shooter). Sat morning Skeeters thick as any I've seen. Head nets help a lot but can't keep 'em off everywhere else. We could hear deer moving in the timber (to our backs in grnd blind), had two doe start crossing the field toward us, got to our back trail and turned around. 8 turkey at 10yrds, but no shots on deer. Same sat night minus the turkey, and once more before church on Sunday. Sunday afternoon we moved blind (couldn't hunt sun eve), in moving I knew we wouldn't be hunting again until the next weekend (tomorrow) so we walked some buffer strips around a corn field. We were about 20yrds from two doe on beds when they stood- blow- run. My daughter has never walked/stalked before so she only had one thing to say, "Those deer are FAST dad". Just looked at her with a smile and said "yes they are Baby". Not 20 yrds later, another doe this one at about 15-17yrds, "I mean it Dad, They are FAST", "I know" even bigger smile on my face. Another 50 yrds- another two doe these we got pretty close to, one 12yrds the other 10. The second doe (12yrds) crossed back if front of us. I watched as she raised her gun, but it was too late the doe was already gone. I asked "Why didn't you shot" although I knew the answer. She turns towards me, eyes big, she said "Dad, by the time I knew what it was and where she was going, she was already gone!" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif then under her breath "man their fast".
Homecoming is tonight, but we'll be back at it again in the morning. This is more fun then shooting them myself /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Good luck Musky sounds like you two had a great time. My son heard his first deer blow last year when I took him out with me to bow hunt. He said I could have shot her if it wasn't for the chicken making that noise. (that noise being her blowing) The things kids come up with. Enjoy the rest of the season. My boys down for the count on the last weekend of the season. Messed his hand up at recess today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The things kids come up with. </div></div>

That's half the fun right there!

Lot's of memory's and a few laughs a long the way. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom