Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth season question

Daver

PMA Member
Can one adult supervise two youth hunters at the same time? If no, can two youth sit with one adult and share one weapon. One would theoretically shoot first and then assuming another opportunity presents the second youth could shoot second.

I ask because my 15 year old son my bring a friend with him during the youth season, but I will likely be the only adult there.

From the DNR regulations:

Youth Deer Season. Iowa residents that are
less than 16 years old on the day they obtain a
license, are eligible for the Youth Season subject to
the following restrictions:

• While hunting, youth hunters must be under the direct supervision of an adult mentor who has a valid Hunting License and has paid the Habitat Fee, if the adult is normally required to have them to hunt. Only one youth hunter may accompany each adult mentor.
Only one of them would be able to hunt with you, but I think the other would be able to come along as long as he wasn't hunting.

I take my 2 youngest with just 1 weapon all the time. Never taken 2 deer in the same sit, but both enjoy watching the other one be the shooter as much as they do shooting themselves.

I called the CO in the area that I was hunting last year about the same thing. Since the trip was so long I wanted to do the same and have the youth switch roles if the other was successful was successful. The CO stated that the intent of the wording was only one adult per one youth hunter. He never said that we would be cited but he left me with the feeling that he was suggesting that if another youth were with us, he or she should not take the hunter role until the next hunt.

My plan was to have one start hunting and if he or she shot a deer in the first hour, sit the next few hours to try to get the other a deer. The CO suggested that I not do that. It seems that there is too much interpretation in Game laws. It should be written clearly so the intent is clear and not subject to interpretation. Just my 2 cents.:eek:

How dare you do a very respectable, not to mention, right thing by taking multiple kids in the woods.

DUH..

I am sure there are cases I know that this rule should be enforced but c'mon. Its to bad that an officers discretion and common sense rarely correlate.

Top Bottom