Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth Season Regulations

Wondering if someone can help me to understand the regs for youth season.

The main area of controversy with the kid is getting to hunt by himself.

I bought him a tag, he's 15.

Does he need to have an adult with him who has a hunting license?

Can he hunt by himself and fill the youth tag if he has a hunting license?

Thanks!

I believe both replies are correct in their own way. You need to have an adult along when using the youth tag, even if he has a hunting license. You do not need an adult along for other tags, if he has a hunting license.

I believe both replies are correct in their own way. You need to have an adult along when using the youth tag, even if he has a hunting license. You do not need an adult along for other tags, if he has a hunting license.

Here is what the regs say.

Must have an adult. I thought if they were 12 and have had hunter safety they could hunt on their own?

Youth Deer Season
Iowa residents that are

less than 16 years old on the day they obtain a
license, are eligible for the Youth Season subject to
the following restrictions:

While hunting, youth hunters must be under the

direct supervision of an adult mentor who has a
valid Hunting License and has paid the Habitat
Fee, if the adult is normally required to have
them to hunt. Only one youth hunter may accompany

each adult mentor.

Last edited:
Why don't you just go search on the hunting regs that the DNR has on their website? You have the connection to post on here, why don't you use it to look up your answer?

Why don't you just go search on the hunting regs that the DNR has on their website? You have the connection to post on here, why don't you use it to look up your answer?

Thanks everyone, this youth season stuff is totally new to me. This morning I spoke to 2 different people at the DNR, one of them wasn't certain himself if youth could hunt by themselves if they purchased a full paid license.

Hey phatchef, please go away, we don't need your help.

Thanks everyone, this youth season stuff is totally new to me. This morning I spoke to 2 different people at the DNR, one of them wasn't certain himself if youth could hunt by themselves if they purchased a full paid license.

Hey phatchef, please go away, we don't need your help.

I would like to know what they also say if you find out.

It does not say it in the regs but I was positive if they had hunters safety

to purchase a license they could go by themselves between the ages of

12-16.

Top Bottom