Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

youth season tactics

bekautz

what is the best way to kill a deer during youth season in everyonres opinion? stalking food scource funnells pinch points etc....

I'm taking my daughter out this weekend. I ALWAYS hunt late seasons so I need a little help. Is it too early to use calls? if not, what about rattling? I have some really nice bucks on trailcam from that area so I know they are there.

I don't think it would hurt to tickle the tines a little. I have my best luck rattling during the beginning to mid October.

I'd get on the food source and sit tight. Alot of deer hitting alfalfa right now, so if there is a good, secluded alfalfa field around, I'd try that.

As far as calling, wouldn't hurt to tickle the antlers together like 180 said, but don't get to into it. Lots of young bucks sparing with their new polished horns right now.

My daughter and I are using the same tactic as last year, Double bull among the round bales at the edge of the alfalfa field. The deer are all over it, bucks still coming out with shooting light. Gonna be a great weekend!

I think food source is the ticket. In particular, alfalfa and clover plots right now. My 9 year old son will be the trigger man for the first time this year, and we'll hunt out of "box blinds" because the window is a nice steady rest for the muzzleloader. We've got one up on poles near a foodplot that I think will be our best option, but a couple of others that will be good backup plans if the wind is wrong. The double bull and shooting sticks will allow us to adapt to changing conditions if need be, but I don't expect we'll need it. Good luck everyone!!

NWBuck

Went on a scouting trip last night and alfalfa was being hit hard. Moved one of the blinds to overlook a small alfalfa plot and some corn endrows that have been cut for sileage. Looks good.

Top Bottom