Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth season

mole

I see that the DNR has finally opened a youth turkey season
waytogo.gif
My question is, why limit it to 12-15 years of age? All of the studies on the declining numbers of hunters shows that the sooner we introduce kids to hunting the more likely they are to continue to hunt later in life.

I know many will say its a safety issue. Then why do we allow children to legally obtain deer/turkey tags for the other seasons? I don't understand the logic. We don't allow a 9/10 year to hunt the youth season, but if he wants he can hunt during the regular gun season with his parent. Seems to me that the youth season would be a better place for the young ones to be.

Does anyone know why the law was written this way?

mole

That's a good question Mole.....probably has something to do with the Hunter's Safety Education Course, and the idea that most kids below the age of twelve may not be able to handle a gun capable of killing a turkey. I for one would have to disagree with the idea though, I know plenty of youngsters out there who are capable enough, they're just not in the majority. My daughter is seven right now, and about the size of a twig. She won't be pulling back a bow with enough poundage to effectively kill a turkey for quite a few more years, however, she will be out with me this year and she'll learn just as much as she would even if she did have her own tag.
CRITR

Mole...Critr is right, it has to do with the fact that you can't get your Hunter Safety until age 12. My daughter will be taking Hunter Safety this year as she is 11. I know where your coming from on this one, I don't fully understand it either.

Both my kids age 9 and 11 can handle their .410 single shots with no problem. I guess it's time to get a pair of 20 guage's this Spring.
grin.gif

That's what I get for trying to apply logic to something that a government agency is running.
evil.gif
Its not possible.
893smileystooges-thumb[1].gif

My oldest son will be 8 in March. He desperately wants to shoot his own deer. I'm playing with the idea of an early black powder hunt. Just use a low powder charge and limit him to 30-40 yard shots. He's pretty good with a .22, maybe a muzzleloader will be too much.

mole

I'm posting this on my dads site.I was eight when I shot my first turkey in Ohio with a 20 gauge. I was nine when I shot my first buck with a Remington 870 12 gauge, scoped and Magna-ported. I am ten now and I am 70 pounds. I went on another youth hunt this year but didn't score. I really believe it depends on the maturity and experience of the hunter handling the gun. I've been hunting with my dad since I was four years old, including bear and elk. Thank you for reading my opinion.
Michael

Mole,
Both of my sons were 9 when they took their first deer. They used a 50 cal Knight with 70 grains of Pyrodex and 180 grain bullet. They didn't mind the kick at all - much less than a 20 guage. My oldest (now 11) killed his 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th deer this year. All with his new 50 cal Knight youth Wolverine. Moved up to 80 grains to get better pass thru.
Get then out early!
We will have to wait 1 more year for the turkey youth season, but both will be hunting the regular seasons. At least with turkey, you can take them in a season you don't have a license for. Just need a license for any season to assist.

Mole,
My son had just turned 7 before early muzzeloader season and he was able to take a young buck with his 45 cal. youth muzzleloader made by rossi. This is a great gun that I would recommend for youngsters. He only weighs 50lbs and can handle 50 grains of pyrodex and a shockwave bullet just fine. I believe the gun was about $130.

Top Bottom