Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth set-up

Pupster

My son is going to hunt deer this year for the first time, he's 9 and not a very big kid (57lbs). I'm leaning toward the muzzy with about 80-90 gr of powder and a 240 gr bullet out of the Triumph. We'll pattern it this weekend and see how the recoil is. I've taken many kids in the past and all of them used open sight 20 ga shotguns. He has shot many ducks with the 20 single shot youth gun, but slugs out of it kicks like a mule.

I'm curious as to what set ups other youth mentors use for the young-uns?

Pupster

Buddy of mine uses my ML every year to take his kids hunting. I load it with 75 grain of triple 7, 200 grain shockwave. Doesn't kick a bit, but he also won't let his kids shoot at anything over 50 yards, which is perfect for the lighter load.

My 10 year old daughter is shooting a Thompson G2 Contender with a 45 caliber muzzleloader barrel, loaded with one 50 grain triple seven pellet and a 155 grain Barnes Expander bullet. It has minimal recoil and is very accurate.

I am taking my 8 yr old out this year, 50 grains with a 250 grain bullet in the knight ml, and we are looking to shot 60 yards max. He is shooting this settup very wel, like others said, little to no recoil.

Thanks fro the info guys!

I have not done enough research to know if 50 gr would have enough knockdown power but apparently it does. He is a skilled enough shooter to take an 80 yd shot so I will still try 75 gr with a 240 bullet see how the recoil/pattern works and go from there.
pupster

My boy shoots a youth 20 ga. with 2 3/4 sabot slugs. Has been since age 7 but it does kick some. He only notices while practicing, never while hunting. :grin:

My son was nine last year and I got him a youth 20g by mossberg. He shot it several times but it was by no means enjoyable for him. Sounds like the muzzy is the way to go.

I'd say the muzz is the way to go. 50-100 grains and the smaller the bullet the better. PR Bullet makes a super 195 bullet called the QT. I used them in my old muzz. Otherwise, if you have a semi-auto 20ga. at your disposal that would have considerably less recoil than a single shot in most cases.

I have my son who will turn 8 in October set up with a Knight KRB shooting 50 grains of 777 and a 245 grain Barnes spitfire and it is nasty deadly. About 75 yards is all i will let him shoot. Last year he shot a doe at 42 yards and the bullet passed completely through both shoulders folding her in a pile. 50 grains is more that enough, less recoil felt the more comfortable they are shooting the gun, the more comfortable the more accurate, and accuracy kills.

Danny,
I have an Rem. Lt-20 1100 and it's just too long for him, he really has to reach otherwise I'd let him try it. The muzzy is shorter and just plain old fits him better. I have the Nikon BDC retical scope so I'm really curious how far it will be off once we shoot the lighter load as opposed to my 150 gr and a 250 bullet. I'm hoping at 50yds it's within 4" of what it is now.

For now we've just been shooting the .22 getting used to looking and finding things through the scope and Squeeeeeeeezing the trigger. He is doing awesome, i can't wait.

Pupster

My 10 year old shot his first deer last year with my .45 knight...100 grains of pellets and a 155 grain barnes expander. He will be using the same set up this year..can't wait

Mark Drury had his daughter Taylor shooting her muzzleloader with 1 50 grain 777 pellet and a 250 grain shockwave. She took a good buck at 100yards and numerous other deer inside that range. It doesn't take too much on whitetails, good luck!

Are you serious?? Wow I would have never figured there would be enough energy to kill deer much over 50 yds with that load. I also would assume there is very little room for error as far as a "not so perfect shot" from this load. Do you know how much drop this load has a 100yds? I guess I can go the range and find out the drop but as far as the Foot Pounds and amount of energy that's a little harder to calculate........for me anyway.:grin:

Pupster

Pupster
My boy Jeremiah went out last year with 50 grains of Triple 7 and a 245 grain Power Belt with my Knight 50 Cal Disc Rifle sitting on some shooting sticks out of a Double Bull. Deadly accurate and Jeremiah shot clean through this doe (Both Lungs & Heart). As you can see not much expansion but plenty to get the job done. You could go up to 60 grains if you want to gain some insurance factor but my boy was shooting the 50 grains same hole to 3/4" groups @50yards. Did the same as you, shooting .22 then up to the muzzleloader. Enjoy the pics!

P1050872.jpg

P1050905.jpg

P1050918.jpg

My 8 and 11 year old girls are shooting a Knight, 50 grains of 777, with a 240 grain Hornady XTP. Out to 80 yards we didnt have to change anything on the scope. It was sighted in at 150yds, shooting 100grains of powder before that. I'm pumped for next weekend. Its the funnest deer hunting we do. Good luck to your youngster.

Well we got out to do some shooting and much to my surprise the 50gr load with a 250 gr shockwave was dead on at 50yds. I guess the more I got to thinking about it the more confidence I gained in the load. He shot a half inch group at 50 yards and was 3/4 of and inch low of the bullseye, recoil was not an issue........Once again iowa whitetail to the rescue.

Now if I can get him to control the buck fever we'll be set to go.

Pupster

Top Bottom