Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth starter bow?

Iowaide

Okay, my son turns five next month and I am wanting to get him ready to start shooting. I have seen many of the youth bows and of course would love to buy him a genesis but considering his age, inexperience, and just being five that won't happen yet. Does anyone have a youth bow out there that you would want to part with for a reasonable amount? I don't know what draw weight he would be able to manage yet but he has a draw length of about 19". I also was thinking a whisker bisquit would be the perfect rest for a beginner who may be a little shaky. Any thoughts or help?
Thanks. Sean

I agree on the biscuit, both of my kids shoot them and do well. As far as bow choice, I have picked up used bows off internet, mostly archerytalk classifieds. We liked the Tom Thumb from Stacey archery the best especially for the size your guy is at.

What's the best way to get in touch with him? Is that bow listed somewhere? I didn't see it in the classifieds anywhere here.

mini genesis. draw weight is 6-12 pounds. he can go from that to the regular genesis, then be ready for a bow he can get into hunting with

I already sold my boys Tom Thumb.....they can be found at staceyarchery.com.......I'd also recommend looking at the Mini_Genesis as Teeroy mentioned.

Thanks everyone the hunt continues! I've got to get him going so I have one more really good reason to help his mom out by taking him to some 3D shoots this year! I can't wait to get him started, I still remember my dad taking me along with him to shoot with our local archery club and I remember how important I felt when he took me. Good times. Thanks again.

Not sure what everyone else's opinion will be, but last spring my son turned 6 and I ought him a Bear Brave bow at Gander Mtn. I think it was $60-$70. I took off the crap rest that came with it and put on a cheap tong style, I would think you could mount a WB. I also mounted a cheap fiber optic pin sight, and bought some small carbon arrows for it. He can't shoot more than about 10-15 yards, but are objective right nw is to get his form correct and hitting the target somewhere. I took him to a 3-D shoot last yeaar and we had a blast. There were plenty of older guys that all made sure to take a minute and ask him about his set up to make him feel like one of the guys too.
Good Luck

That was kind of what I was thinking too. I've got enough extra carbon arrows around to cut down that he will be set. These kids don't know how good they have it compared to 20 years ago. I don't know how many bent aluminum arrows I shot! No to mention the quality of affordable bows out there. Good stuff for bowhunting's future.

My son is chomping at the bit to get out and start shooting again with the weather getting nicer and the snow finally out of the yard. He is going to be 7 in a few weeks and my 8 yr old daughter shoots it to. Only bad thing is she is a lefty and has to shoot the RH bow. I could not find a smallbow like this for a lefty. If they stay after it I will buy them both nicer bows in a few years and get her a LH.
Good Luck getting your son into it and have fun and enjoy it, I know I am.

Top Bottom