Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Zone 4 draw

Hardwood11

It is going to be a good fall!
Looks like I'll be hunting hunting zone 4 in the future. Does anyone know what typical--preference points needed for bow, shotgun..muzzy??

Thanks!!

The chart is confusing...

It reads 448 bow tags awarded from 898 applicants. Close to 50%. Is the chart not including applicants with pref points??

Otherwise you would draw second year?

Last edited:
I had a lease set up for 2 of my out of state buddies. Neither of them drew for zone 4.

One was late muzzleloader. He didn't draw. He now has one point.

One was archery. He entered with 2 points. He didn't draw. He now has 3 points.

They pool all the gun applications together and show them as "gun" you have a 99% chance of drawing a muzzleloader tag the first year.

They pool all the gun applications together and show them as "gun" you have a 99% chance of drawing a muzzleloader tag the first year.

I gotta disagree, unless I just know two very unlucky people. I know two people that have not drawn for zone 4 in the last two years.

The outfitter I know in zone 5 says he's is at 50% draw for late muzzleloader now.

I gotta disagree, unless I just know two very unlucky people. I know two people that have not drawn for zone 4 in the last two years. The outfitter I know in zone 5 says he's is at 50% draw for late muzzleloader now.

For muzzleloader? Impossible, there's two guys coming up from Texas to hunt and the both drew their tags.

According to the chart, last year you would be guaranteed a bow tag with 3 points and a gun tag with one point in zone 4. it is probably fairly consistant year after year.

For muzzleloader? Impossible, there's two guys coming up from Texas to hunt and the both drew their tags.

Yes muzzleloader. Neither had a preference point and neither drew. With one preference point, yes they will for sure draw. Only some people are drawing without a preference point.

For bow 3 points is a guaranteed draw with some with 2 points drawing.

0 for Muzzleloder, 2 sometimes 3 for shotgun, 3-5 for Bow.

It doesn't work that way for the gun tags. In 2014, 24% drew tags with no points. That is.... either gun season or muzzleloader. As noted in your other post, all guns season applicants go into the same hat. Late muzzleloader is a gun season.

According to the chart, last year you would be guaranteed a bow tag with 3 points and a gun tag with one point in zone 4. it is probably fairly consistant year after year.

Yes muzzleloader. Neither had a preference point and neither drew. With one preference point, yes they will for sure draw. Only some people are drawing without a preference point.

For bow 3 points is a guaranteed draw with some with 2 points drawing.

These look correct based on 2014 draw results. A few lucky ones with 2 points will draw a bow tag, 3 is guaranteed. A few lucky ones with no points will draw a gun tag, 1 is guaranteed. That is assuming drawing as an individual, or if a group, that is the lowest point holder in the group.

So I assume by the chart that the preference point situation is throwing off the numbers or else you would not need (3) pref points to draw an archery tag in Zone 4?

So I assume by the chart that the preference point situation is throwing off the numbers or else you would not need (3) pref points to draw an archery tag in Zone 4?

I'm not sure what you are saying is throwing numbers. In 2014, 135 out of 898 bow tag applicants drew tags. Not great odds for 2 points, but it tells me you were guaranteed a tag with 3 or more points, and about 15% chance with 2 points, and not a chance with less than 2.

I gotcha, I looked at the total instead of the side numbers of preference points.

Makes sense

Top Bottom