Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Broadcasting Turnips into Corn Now???

corygnc

I am having the farmer leave 5 acres of corn standing and was wondering about broadcasting turnips now before the corn gets too tall (thought it would be the easiest way to do it before it gets too tall).

Would this work?

I am not wanting the plot to attract during bowseason (have green plots for them) just late season muzzleloader.

Thanks for any ideas!
Cory

I would think they would mature too early, unless they are an early summer planting date brassica. Shading them out might also be a concern. What type of brassica you thinking?

We broadcasted some in standing corn in early August last year...not exactly easy but they grew!

It's too early and if atrazine was used on the corn it's not likely to germinate anyway.

Generally later in August would be a good time frame and shorter corn or wide rows would also be better. :)

if atrazine was used on the corn it's not likely to germinate anyway.

Is atrazine the only chemical a person should be worried about?

If a person was really wanting a good stand on turnips(under corn) would working between the rows with a garden rake, hoe, or a mantis tiller help prepare the seed bed or would it be un-needed.

Is atrazine the only chemical a person should be worried about?

If a person was really wanting a good stand on turnips(under corn) would working between the rows with a garden rake, hoe, or a mantis tiller help prepare the seed bed or would it be un-needed.

By late summer I think most other herbicides won't be a problem.

Brassicas germinate pretty easily with some moisture and soil contact, now if it's extremely dry then tilling between the rows will be helpful for sure.

I have spread brassica seed just aboutanywhere and everywhere, even in dead sod grass and it seems to germinate pretty easy.;)

Knockover corn then plant

I would allow the corn to put out ears & then mow or otherwise knock over the stalks where you want to plant the turnips. The corn, now on the ground, will still attract deer and now there is plenty of sunlight for the turnips to germinate and grow. I would not wait past early September to seed the turnips and I would not seed them before mid August.

What time of year did you try this?

I would think that beans would canopy too much to let light in for the turnups.

Usually late August which is why I prefer to plant early maturing beans so that they will mature and drop leaves in earlty September.

This is one reason I don't care for forage soybeans, they stay green right til frosts and then turn right in the middle of hunting season and it's way to late to overseed with brassicas and rye.

You can also plant wide rows and using RR soybeans it's not a big deal except it may require an additional application of roundup because they will not have complete canopy.

One just has to "think outside the box" and alter conventional planting methods slightly...;)

Ideally, you want to broadcast the brassica just before a rain. This will insure good seed-to-soil contact which will result in a high germination rate. If planted just before a rain, there is no need to till the soil or do any other site prep work. We also disk strips in our clover plots that radiate out from our stands that we seed to brassica during late summer. These strips are then overtaken by the clover by early summer of the next year. This can also be done around the periemeter to keep back brush encroachment. However, be aware that each time you disturb the soil you also promote annual weeds if their seeds remain in the soil.

Mick

Top Bottom