Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Favorite Muzzleloader loads

bplate

Im kind of new to muzzleloader hunting and have just purchased the new Traditions Vortek. I am wondering what some of your favorite bullets are and how many grains of powder work the best. Thanks

My old traditions liked the Hornady 240 gr 44 caliber xtp sabots over 100gr pyrodex pellets. I tried some 295gr powerbelts one year and they wouldn't group well at all. I just bought a CVA Accurra this fall and it hated the Hornady's so I tried the powerbelts I had left and they grouped well, still over 100gr of pyrodex pellets. I have read mixed reviews on the powerbelts performance if you push them to hard, some claim they fragment and don't pass through. I killed a deer last night with one at 75yds shot in the should and no exit wound, lots of lead fragments inside but it died in 30yds. Muzzleloaders are like any gun, you have to try a variety of bullets and powder charges to find what works best.

I need help on the same thing. Im going to sight mine in in the next couple of weeks. Right now Im shooting 250gr Knight bullets with 110gr of lose powder. But im not sure if thats good enough for shooting 150-200 yards

I also just bought a Traditions Vortek this year and mine is shooting well with Hornady SST 250gr with 100 gr Triple 7.. I think Im going to re-sight it in with 150 gr Triple 7 though because I have a Nikon Omega scope on it and the little rings inside of the scope are meant for a 150 gr charge and 250 gr bullet.

i'm ordering my vortek this week. i plan on getting traditions 250 grain jacketed lead soft points and shooting 150 grains of poweder

To everyone who shoots 150gr of powder/pellet. I have been unable to get consistent accuracy with 150grains through my T/C Omega. Most shots would be on target but I would get an occasional flyer that would be off the mark by 6" or more. Has anyone else experienced this? To correct it I backed the load off to 100-110grains and have been successful at eliminating the stray flyer.

I like the extra velocity I get from the 150grains and have tried many different bullets, sabots, primers, and powders but the only thing that fixed it was decreasing my load. Am I the only one who has had this problem?

To everyone who shoots 150gr of powder/pellet. I have been unable to get consistent accuracy with 150grains through my T/C Omega. Most shots would be on target but I would get an occasional flyer that would be off the mark by 6" or more. Has anyone else experienced this? To correct it I backed the load off to 100-110grains and have been successful at eliminating the stray flyer.

I like the extra velocity I get from the 150grains and have tried many different bullets, sabots, primers, and powders but the only thing that fixed it was decreasing my load. Am I the only one who has had this problem?

Most guys I know are only shooting 100grains of 777 thru their omegas. Accuracy with this combo has been amazing. I'm shooting 110 of Blackhorn thru mine and have had good results. I will take the accuracy anyday. Not sure why 100 is more accurate though.

Nontypcl...I've got an omega and had the exact issues that you're describing. 150 grains I was all over the board. Backed off to 100 grains and seemed to solve my issues. When I was trying to sight in with 150 grains I would clean meticulously between shots and still couldn't achieve the accuracy I desired. Backed off the charge and problem solved.

the standard 26-28 inch barrel can only burn about 120 grains of powder. i wish pellets were 60 grains each. i really don't want to use loose powder, but it gets more tempting every year

Teeroy, I believe pyrodex pellets come in 30 grain as well as 50. Not sure if they are as readily available but would give you a better variety of load options.

Have any of you that used to shoot Pyrodex that switched to Triple noticed much difference in the amount of fouling in your barrel? I am thinking of switching as some people have told me the difference is night and day.

I love my 150 grains of Triple seven. I shoot tight groups with my T/C triumph- much flatter than the 100 grains I shot, faster and more power. The kick doesn't bug me one bit and I love the results. That's just me of course BUT I personally have no reason to go to 100 grains- zero benefit for my example and all sorts of pluses by using the 150.

I shoot 90 gr of regular black powder

and have a cleaner gun and better accuracy than with more powder.

the standard 26-28 inch barrel can only burn about 120 grains of powder. i wish pellets were 60 grains each. i really don't want to use loose powder, but it gets more tempting every year

Those 777 magnum pellets are just what the doctor ordered. Give them a shot Teeroy, you won't be disappointed!

69 grains of H4198 out of my Savage Smokeless with 250 grain Hornady SST's with MMP sabots.....Shoots tacks! For those of you who haven't made the switch to smokeless you don't know what your missing!

i believe the 30 grain pellets are pistol pellets, and i'm not sure how well they would work in a rifle barrel. there would be alot of waste space.

danny that is the way i was plannig on going, since 777 is supposed to burn hotter than pyrodex. until everyone got to crowing about how awesome the buckhorn 209 is supposed to be. basically, i'm still conflicted

Top Bottom