Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Favorite Muzzleloader loads

The Blackhorn 209 and 250gr Barnes T-MZ bullets/sabots have done really well for me on accuracy and super clean.

I'm a little late on this subject, but my Omega likes 100 grains of triple 7, with a TC shockwave 250.

150 grains of triple 7 behind a 300gr XTP 45 cal Hornady, and Harvester 50 cal sabot in a 50 cal Austin Halleck. It will drive tacks at 100 yds, but it's a heavy gun to carry.

Have any of you that used to shoot Pyrodex that switched to Triple noticed much difference in the amount of fouling in your barrel? I am thinking of switching as some people have told me the difference is night and day.

Sorry Skully, didn't see this until the thread got reborn. Yep, I made the switch a few years ago and it is like a night and day difference.

Did a lot of shooting at the range recently and was messin around with some different loads for my T/C omega. I ended up settling on one that was giving me sub 1" groups every time at 100yds. 100gr blackhorn 209 with 250gr Barnes TMZ spitfire ignited with a winchester shotshell primer. I shot 4, 3 shot groups with each hole overlapping. To say the least I was definately pleased with the accuracy.:) Also shot a couple good groups with 100gr Triple7 ffg with 250gr bonded shockwave with the black sabot and a fiocchi primer. Good groups with that load but not near as tight as the BH209 and Barnes TMZ. I also shot a few with Precision Dead Center 240gr with the blackhorn 209 and liked it as well but I think I need to mess around a little more with the charge to tighten up the groups a little. The thing I like most about the Precision DC is that they are supposed to only drop 4-5" from 100-200yds, while the barnes drop around 10" out of my omega.

I'm a little late on this subject, but my Omega likes 100 grains of triple 7, with a TC shockwave 250.

I am shooting this same gun/powder/bullet combo and find that it takes a lot of force to load the barrel, even when completely clean. I will not even try loading it with less than 5 patches through it first.

For those of you that shoot this load, do you find the T/C superglide (yellow) sabots to be easier than the standard black ones?

I am shooting this same gun/powder/bullet combo and find that it takes a lot of force to load the barrel, even when completely clean. I will not even try loading it with less than 5 patches through it first.

For those of you that shoot this load, do you find the T/C superglide (yellow) sabots to be easier than the standard black ones?

The superglides do load a bit easier but I never liked them much. Try running a seasoning patch down the barrel. It definitely makes loading much easier. You could also try one of these spin adapters

http://www.maxmuzzleloader.com/productsAccessoriesUSA.html

They let the sabot spin with the rifling of the barrel. It seems to make cleaning easier and loading my barnes spitfire much better

Last edited:
Here's a similar product: http://www.spinjag.com/index.php

I have one. At one time, it was thought that having the bullet spin with the rifling as it was seated would help accuracy, but from what I've heard, people found it doesn't help that much. If it makes loading easier, that's a good thing, too!

Just curious, when you guys say your satisfied with your groups what is that. I switched to an omega this year with 150 gr of 777 and 250 gr shockwaves, I am about an inch high at 100yards and 1/2 inch-1 inch low at 150 yards. I have found that if I turn my scope to 12X and put the top of my bottom post I am on at 200 yards.

BUT my groups are 2 inches or so, maybe a touch bigger at times, seems good enough for me. Would you be satisfied.

BUT my groups are 2 inches or so, maybe a touch bigger at times, seems good enough for me. Would you be satisfied.

2 inch groups at 100 or 200 yards?

For me, a two inch group at 100 yards would be adequate for 99% of my hunting. Just the way I set up. I would want to improve it, though.

Just curious, when you guys say your satisfied with your groups what is that. I switched to an omega this year with 150 gr of 777 and 250 gr shockwaves, I am about an inch high at 100yards and 1/2 inch-1 inch low at 150 yards. I have found that if I turn my scope to 12X and put the top of my bottom post I am on at 200 yards.

2" groups at 200yds I would be satisfied. If I was shotting 2" groups at 100yds I'd probably be tweaking my load to improve the accuracy even though thats a small enough group to kill a whitetail.

I found that my omega doesn't shoot 150grains very accurately but is easily capable of 1/2" groups at 100yds when shotting 100-110grains. I've shot quite a few different loads through my omega and have seen my best groups with 100gr Blackhorn 209 with a 250gr barnes spitfire TMZ or a 240gr Precision Dead Center. Each gun is different though. If your want to tighten up your groups it just takes a little experimenting with different loads.

I use the 209 Blackhorn lose powder with a 250 gr. shockwave and CCI magnum primers. The lose powder gives you much more accuracy. Tried tons of different loads and I can say that this takes the cake. 250 yds I am 18 inches low, and at 200 I hold right at the top of back with no air in scope. The recoil is nicer too. use a scale to weigh powder, don't just pour to a marked line. I found this isn't the way to go......no kidding right?

[I found this isn't the way to go......no kidding right? /QUOTE]

Black powder subs are designed to use a volume for volume measure. If you want to weigh it, use your volume measure for a baseline and weigh what it throws out. Never just weigh the powder. Subs weigh much less than black powder.
I'm thinking this is what your doing, just wanted to make sure for safety sake.

[I found this isn't the way to go......no kidding right? /QUOTE]

Black powder subs are designed to use a volume for volume measure. If you want to weigh it, use your volume measure for a baseline and weigh what it throws out. Never just weigh the powder. Subs weigh much less than black powder.
I'm thinking this is what your doing, just wanted to make sure for safety sake.
Thanks for clarifying this SB. What you stated I thought was right, as I have never heard of people weighing loose muzzleloader powder...so I just had to get out my digital scale and see. I weighed my 777 90 gr VOLUME load and got 66,64,66 gr WEIGHT for three different weight measurements; filling my volume measurement up 3 different times.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing that HC. It's easy to see that way. That would be an awful hot load if a person weighed out 100 grains!

Good point SB. Thanks for clarifying that. I weigh the powder at 85 grs....i believe it is 140 grs by volume. Dont weigh out 150 grs of loose powder.

Top Bottom