Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Starting another...Its Done !!!!!

Shovelbuck

Since restoring/rebuilding my flint pistol, I've been thinking about building one from scratch. I mentioned it to my son and now he's been pushing me to do it. I've got a line on another "Bill Large" barrel and there's a dandy piece of Nebraska walnut sitting in the shop begging to be made into a stock.;) I'm not going to get in any big hurry on this project and since my son is pushing me, I plan on involving him in quite a bit of the build. At 27, it's time he figured out how to do some of these things.:way:
I had a bit of time today and decided to get the ramrod pipes made. I could have bought factory made for 20 bucks but for an hours work and some scrap sheet brass, they are done. Plus the satisfaction of building them is a bonus!
I'll probably make the trigger guard next.

DSCF0002-2.jpg

DSCF0004-2.jpg

Just don't be holding your breath guys. Although your encouragement helps move me forward, this is going to be a long process.

Built the trigger guard this morning from two pieces of brass stock. Final polishing will be done when it's mounted on the stock. This was a bit more time consuming than the ramrod tubes. Took about 2.5 hours.

DSCF00052.jpg

DSCF00072.jpg

Just don't be holding your breath guys. Although your encouragement helps move me forward, this is going to be a long process.

The best things usually take longer, but are very much worth waiting for. This will be a great diversion from the long days back down here in Alabama!

Well, I haven't built any parts lately but have dug up an ancient horse shoe that looks like I can make the sights from. More on that later.
I did do some trading last Saturday while at the memorial and picked up the Bill Large barrel.:way: This is also .45 cal. but is 8 inches long. Pretty much a rough barrel blank as it needs to be drilled and tapped for the breech plug. Nothing like brand new 40 year old stock !
While doing the swapping, I also picked up a nice green 4 point Hudson Bay blanket.
I got a collector barrel and blanket, and he got the Black Bow. We both came away happy campers.

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0003-1.jpg

I messed around quite awhile building the sights from that old wrought iron horseshoe. When it came right down to it, I wasn't happy with the way they looked so I purchased some rough castings and just finished polishing them. I also picked up the breech plug and trigger assembly. Time to get the lock and cut the wood to rough shape.

DSCF0001-1.jpg

If anybody is still interested, here's the latest job that is now done on this build.
Fitting a breech plug can be a tedious and time consuming process. The depth of the thread and length of the breech plug have to be just perfect so the plug bottoms out against the shoulder of the bore at the same time the tang snugs up against the back of the barrel. All of that must also be aligned with the top flat. This can involve quite a bit of filing, test fitting. filing again, and it goes on.
I had my good friend...Earl E. November, chuck up the barrel in a quality lathe to cut the threads to depth. I had him do this as I don't trust the lathe I use for this kind of work as it's tail stock is wore out. I've got to say, Ken really nailed it! It only took about 10 file strokes on the aft end of the barrel and a slight filing on the end of the breech plug for it to tighten up and be indexed perfectly! I've got to say I never had one go easier. Thanks Ken!!!

BreechPlugFit.jpg

Slow but sure it's moving along.

Last edited:
I am always interesting in your projects, you have talent my friend. Please keep posting those photos. :way:

Here's the roughed to shape walnut stock.
I'm afraid that with winter being upon us and my shop being unheated, the inletting of the stock will have to wait until spring. I may have to look into a small vice to put down in the man cave that would allow me to work on this project through the winter.
DSCN1160.jpg

I still need to purchase the lock.

Since this project began, I've been looking for a good deal on an L&R lock. It's been my experience with this brand that the older ones are better than the new. Finally found a good deal on a older Manton and received it today. Smooth and sparks great!

DSCN1252.jpg

Top Bottom