Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

IBA supports feeding baiting bill

earthscratcher

well after a 2 hour long speech by dale garner at the iba board meeting on sunday,the board voted and supported him on (his) bill.i would think that the iowa dnr has enough work,sounds like they are trying to create some more?

i just wonder if this is what the membership really wanted?anyway if it passes,just give me a call i will bring the backhoe out and bury your mineral sights,,,,,i need some work to!!!!!!

2 hours were spent on this subject? Did they spend ANY time talking about things like poaching, all the shed bucks being killed, etc, etc, etc? Whether u r for banning feed or not- is this likely to pass? If not- why would they spend 2 hours on it and disregard lots of other big issues? Maybe it will pass- just curious and curious if they addressed the endless list of other issues we face??.

Why are they against the practice.?Disease fears? This was brought up in legislature last yr was it not? And defeated. Figured some would try it again.

2 hours were spent on this subject? Did they spend ANY time talking about things like poaching, all the shed bucks being killed, etc, etc, etc? Whether u r for banning feed or not- is this likely to pass? If not- why would they spend 2 hours on it and disregard lots of other big issues? Maybe it will pass- just curious and curious if they addressed the endless list of other issues we face??.

I agree skip.

Wisconsin still lets you bait and hunt over it there?
Weren't we worried and that is why we tested a lot of deer on the
other side of the river because of this? Are they gonna quit that practice?

Lets make sure people can see them 50 yards from the house.

Just as susceptible there to CWD.

I know the DNR felt that if some of the bill's language had been different, it would have passed last year.

So, before jumping on them and the IBA you might want to take time and read the bill again. Though I haven't seen it, I'm betting it's a little different than last years version.

So, before jumping on them and the IBA you might want to take time and read the bill again. Though I haven't seen it, I'm betting it's a little different than last years version.

Looking at what Garner proposed to the IBA to see their opinion in the other thread earlier this month it did not look like much had been changed.

Yes, if it has been changed from that version it would be nice to see what
the changes are if any.

i would think that the iowa dnr has enough work,sounds like they are trying to create some more?

Quite the contrary. They are trying to free up the Conservation Officers time by making it illegal to feed wildlife. If this bill passes the CO will not have to stake out a tree stand or blind for days, weeks or months to catch a poacher breaking the law. Instead they will have more time to pursue other investigations.

The Board of Directors of the Iowa Bowhunters Association are elected by the membership to Preserve and Promote Bowhunting in Iowa. We feel we are preserving and promoting our sport by supporting a bill that thinks about the future and not about the instant self gratification so prevalent in today’s society.

There were four DNR representatives at the meeting. Mr. Garner the Chief of the Wildlife Division, Willie Suchy who is the head of research, Tom Litchfield State Deer Biologist and Craig Cutts CO for Warren County. The bulk of the time was taken up with the Wildlife Feeding Bill because that is what they were there for. This is not to say that about every other topic of concern wasn’t brought up.

These gentlemen are four of the most dedicated public servants you will find. It was quite obvious they all care deeply for the resource and this bill is aimed at preserving the resource not exploiting it for fiscal gain by corporations, individuals or the State.

earthscratcher, did I see you at the meeting?

The ‘Bonker

Can you tell me how they came to their decision? When this was brought up last year I thought the majority of the members weren't in favor of it. Looks like I may be too late to voice my opinion again, but I've sent off an email anyway. I can tell you for certain though, if the IBA supports this bill they will no longer be supported by me.

Last edited:
We listened, we discussed and we voted.

As far as last year there are several versions of what happened but suffice it to say the bill was presented again this year and the Board voted, unanimously, to support the bill.

We knew this decision would be unpopular with some of the membership but sometimes one must do what is right, not what is easy.

I would like to see the latest version of the bill. Is that wording we saw a few weeks ago it?

As for the IBA supporting it or not, seems like one that they could have stayed neutral on. I understand they (IBA board) are looking at the future but I would like to know more about the reasons for the support and unanimous backing by the board. The IBA website doesn't say squat that I have found.

We knew this decision would be unpopular with some of the membership but sometimes one must do what is right, not what is easy.

Don't take my questions as negative. Honest questions. What is right about it and what is wrong with not changing from what we are allowing today?

To those of you considering dropping you support/membership to the IBA you are giving your de facto support to groups that would change the entire face of deer hunting in Iowa over the issue of feeding wildlife that will eat, survive and thrive whether they are fed supplements or not.

Fishbonker, thank you for taking time out to respond!

how will this free up a officers time-you will have to hire 2 more per county just to walk thru the timber looking for salt blocks in every 40 acre chunk.

would be a good way for me to get at a big landowner guy i didnt like,just toss out a couple salt blocks on his property then call in the dnr-instant ticket, yes we have another poacher.

preserve and promote bowhunting in iowa, are you sure this is not an enforcement thing or is this really better for the wildlife.

no Fishbonker i was not at the meeting,i feel that it would have been wasting my time,instead i was out doing what i love bowhunting!!!!!

Don't take my questions as negative. Honest questions. What is right about it and what is wrong with not changing from what we are allowing today?

I don’t consider your questions negative. I would ask your patience while I write a cogent reply. It was on my to do list for today to put some facts and what was discussed into a post but like all of us lists get changed. I am not dodging the questions. I only ask your understanding in giving me the time to get my scribbled notes deciphered and put a post together that is fact based.

no Fishbonker i was not at the meeting,i feel that it would have been wasting my time,instead i was out doing what i love bowhunting!!!!!

Please see the above post. And yeah, you got me. I hate bowhunting and would much rather be at a meeting than in a stand because it is what I love to do.:mad: It's right up there with root canal but I guess if I care enough to serve, what I wanna do comes in second.

I would like to see the latest version of the bill. Is that wording we saw a few weeks ago it?

I would bet that a lot of us are wondering what the new wording is?

If that was it a couple of weeks ago that we saw it will get real interesting.

I dont really understand why this is an issue that needs any time spent on it at all..let people put food out if they want to and if they do or dont WHO CARES! so is this going to make it illegal to place mineral, supplements, corn...etc in front of cameras? because if so thats insane and a waste of time.

Top Bottom