Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tresspaser

So a couple of years ago, I was back in Tennessee talking with three or four of my "watchers" at the little country store up on the highway. A big, customized pickup pulls up, and everything goes real quiet, while a fairly young man pumps his gas. The instant he got back into his truck, everybody burst out laughing--like there was a big inside joke or something.

I said, "I don't get it," and one of them explained. The man was a very high-powered lawyer from Nashville, who five (5) years previously, had bought 320 acres of some really good hunting ground my watchers liked to hunt. That didn't go over well, and they got bounced off the river bottom repeatedly until the attorney threatened a lawsuit in a certified letter.

In revenge that first season, they went to the store and bought 5 boxes of TIDE laundry detergent--full scent--and then they soaped the lawyer's ground. The whole 320 had little piles of TIDE detergent dumped on it which quite effectively killed it for any kind of hunting. Then, EVERY YEAR AFTER THAT they did the same thing. The lawyer had about a million dollars invested in land, equipment, food plots and improvements and he had yet to kill a doe.

"And we're gonna keep doing it till he dies," my watcher said laughing, like I was part of the gag. "If we ain't gonna kill deer on it, neither is he!" Then he went on to explain how to soap a rifle stand, a bow stand, or the whole damn property.

Now, everytime I'm in North Carolina, West Virgina, Kentucky, Arkansas or Tennessee talking with "the local folk" about deer hunting, I let slip with, "Anybody around here ever soap peoples stands?" and 9 times out of 10 everybody starts laughing.

If I was in Iowa on a very expensive, but kinda small piece of property, I would be extremely careful about who I pissed off. An 80, 160, or 320 can be destroyed every year by one asshole and a couple of boxes of TIDE.

If your ground or stands go dead routinely around about early October, you may have pissed off some vindictive asshole who is TIDE-ing your ground.

Use your head, is what I say. Because you may think you are winning--or have won--but in reality you are being laughed at.

Bronc
So what you are saying is to let the crazy meth heads that have been convicted of lots of felonys keep making meth in our old barns and on our property.Dont turn them in because they are bad people and they could do bad things to you.

It sounds to me that you are trying to give the people that got caught ideas as what to do.That being said if i owned property and i caught a trespasser(poacher) on my property i would take care of it and wouldnt even think twice. I am going to put some soap in the field tonight and see if deer are scared of it.I dont honestly think it will bother them.I see deer walk right by my truck and it smells like gas and oil.

Are you kidding me?

If you've ever blown into town and leased up (or bought) a bunch of ground that permanently displaces a lot of locals from all the places they've been hunting for generations, there is a better than a 50/50 chance your ground is getting soaped. And you don't have to be on that piece of ground to do it. All these deer cross county roads to get from one place to another, and it don't take a rocket scientist to discover where they are doing it. Soap that crossing, and guess what happens to your carefully-crafted honey hole?

Why you getting angry at me? This crap is so common it even has a name, as in: "It ain't no thing, we're gonna soap 'em out."

You want to see a real blood-spitting pissing match? That's when two outfitters get to trying to soap each other out.

Want to see a real feud get started? That's when someone in the neighborhood sees a giant deer and all the neighbors get to soaping each other's property.

Any of you guys from Iowa ever been out of Iowa? This is common crap in the real world. That's why you have to be polite, gracious and humble with everyone you meet, trespasser or not.

Bronc

Last edited:
This makes zero sense. I'll guarantee you I could go dump a whole box of Tide out in a picked corn field and the deer will feed there the same way every night. Deer don't associate the smell of "soap" with danger. They associate human scent with danger.

Bronc, I live in the south and I have never heard of soaping someone's land. My family owns land, and yes we keep people off of it, we are polite the first time, but not the second. There is a place for people that would burn your crops or timber or any of the other things you say they do, its called jail, and it is your local police department's job to put them there.
Are you just tring to scare everyone in Iowa so you can go and tresspass and them not prosecute you, or are you really that scared of people.

Last edited:
Get out of Iowa and into the real world?!! Pretty sure Iowa helps produce enough corn and soybeans, along with hogs and cattle that help actually run the real world. I would therefore say, we are a pretty big part of the real world... And you might think the soap will detour the deer, but I have seen them sniff the dryer sheets and eat corn right next to it. I realize thats not soap, but basically same difference IMO

Any of you guys from Iowa ever been out of Iowa? This is common crap in the real world. That's why you have to be polite, gracious and humble with everyone you meet, trespasser or not.

Bronc

"O well hello Mr. trespasser sir, I hope your having a fine day today. O by the way your on my land, Ill let you hunt this time, but please Don't come back" HAH! the day I'm "Humble" to a thieving trespasser the cubs will probably win the world series.

I'm Out!

Listen, some of you guys are starting to freak out on me--which always happens when people start hearing things they don't want to hear.

I'm done with this topic. All I was trying to say is: Every action has an opposite and equal reaction. And when it comes to trespassers--people who are often previously and deeply involved in the criminal justice system--that reaction may be rather ugly. Yes, if you get lucky and actually do catch a trespasser your reaction might be a legal spanking, but a trespassing/poacher/meth-maker might react by shooting your horses--or even worse. (Does anyone seriously believe that even 1% of this kind of behavior will ever be caught?)

As I said previously, this topic has a lot of regional and cultural variablity, but it does have one common thread: the people who are normally involved in this bullsh-t are quite rural in nature. Someone said, "Call the police department..." The person who said that obviously lives in a city, because a city or town police department will have nothing to with something like this. It's the county sheriff, and a bunch of over-worked deputies, who you will be depending on...and fellars...they are not around that often.

I'm trying to be your friend here, and all I'm saying is to use your head and think things through before you start a blood feud over a 90" shed antler. But do as you wish--people always do--and good luck with trying to get all those mature bucks in Iowa to ignore piles of Fresh Scent TIDE in your travel corridors!!

Bronc

Last edited:
I am going to go buy some stock in Tide now beings the thousand or so people on here now are all educated in the art of soaping. No wonder I didn't see any big bucks this year some sob soaped my farms

The day I don't prosecute a trespasser out of fear of retribution is the day I sell my property. I will not live in fear nor will I let the criminal win.

If you've ever blown into town and leased up (or bought) a bunch of ground that permanently displaces a lot of locals from all the places they've been hunting for generations, there is a better than a 50/50 chance your ground is getting soaped. And you don't have to be on that piece of ground to do it. All these deer cross county roads to get from one place to another, and it don't take a rocket scientist to discover where they are doing it. Soap that crossing, and guess what happens to your carefully-crafted honey hole?

Why you getting angry at me? This crap is so common it even has a name, as in: "It ain't no thing, we're gonna soap 'em out."

You want to see a real blood-spitting pissing match? That's when two outfitters get to trying to soap each other out.

Want to see a real feud get started? That's when someone in the neighborhood sees a giant deer and all the neighbors get to soaping each other's property.

Bronc

I seriously have my doubts that this is a common practice in the "real world". As others have said, I've never heard of "soaping" a property. If you soaped mine, you would most likely get caught on a trail cam, and I would prosecute you until you couldn't afford another box of Tide, simple as that.

At the end of the day you're just trying to justify trespassing, but really there is no good excuse for it. :way:

. It's the county sheriff, and a bunch of over-worked deputies, who you will be depending on...and fellars...they are not around that often.

I'm trying to be your friend here, and all I'm saying is to use your head and think things through before you start a blood feud over a 90" shed antler. But do as you wish--people always do--and good luck with trying to get all those mature bucks in Iowa to ignore piles of Fresh Scent TIDE in your travel corridors!!

Bronc

Picking nits here, but one of our county sheriffs lives a mile away and he's around all the time. He makes time for volunteering as a wrestling coach and several other activities. I don't think he feels overworked. Maybe I'm the exception to your rule :way:

Get off your TIDE SOAP BOX already...it's lame.

The day I don't prosecute a trespasser out of fear of retribution is the day I sell my property. I will not live in fear nor will I let the criminal win.

Boom! Well said, I agree 100%. If Broncazonk is just trying to provide a friendly warning of sorts that you have to consider that some "elements" may be difficult to deal with and so forth, well I think that is true myself. If he is trying to dissuade others from prosecuting trespassers because someone may exact some revenge, then no thanks, let's get it on!

Ive actually had one of my properties "soaped" before. by the Neiboring hunters. All the way down a fence line for a quarter mile or so. Not sure what they were attempting to do being as if it did work they were keeping deer from my farm out of theres just as much as deer from theirs out of mine. It took me a few days to figure out what the hell it actually was but when I found literally bars of soap also placed on fence jumps it all made sense. I will tell you It didnt make abit of difference to any deer on that farm. Possibly for a day or two but as soon as they got used to it with no danger associated with it they moved just like normal. Perhaps they were using the wrong brand of soap I dont know:rolleyes:
I would think the worst thing to use would be human hair if you could get enough, but even then the deer are still going to get used to it and associate no danger with it over time and back to normal.

Aha!

I got it figured out. According to some potential trespassers on this thread, trespassers prefer Snuggle! So I am going to soap out the trespassers with TIDE!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, asking if I have ever been out of Iowa is a total joke. I have hunted and fished in probably 30 states and a lot of Canada and this is the first time I have ever heard of soaping. I did hear of a guy pouring bleach on a bear bait one time though. Tide is probably cheaper, he probably didn't know about soaping.

Human Hair...

Yeah, I wasn't going to mention that, because it works so horribly, horribly well. But when someone is really trying to end your chances for that year, they go to a beauty shop and get a big bag of hair.

It's such an insidious trick, on so many levels. By the way, do all you guys have game cameras that see through cold-weather face masks? How do you think you're going to get an ID on any of these people? Ever.

And again, all I'm saying is use your head, and think things through.

Bronc

Since this world is full of such lawless outlaws poachers, someone mentioned wyatt earp and the cowboys. My new policy is shoot first so they cannot soap my property. After all a dead hand cannot pour a box of tide. Just saying since it is a lawless world. LOL

If he is trying to dissuade others from prosecuting trespassers because someone may exact some revenge, then no thanks, let's get it on!

Shortly after prosecuting trespassers, I had molitav cocktails thrown from the road.

I'd still press charges in a heart beat.:way:

Top Bottom