Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

IBA supports feeding baiting bill

Okay, so now with the other cwd topic started, and he states it is not spread at a bait pile
That is not how I read it.

It might not be the bait that transmits the CWD, but the amount of deer that congregate around bait sites facilitates transmission from animal to animal.

Anytime you concentrate any animal, the risk of disease transmission increases.

but yet they are unsure how it is actually spread though, so thats what still gets me. They cant pinpoint it to them being there alone, it could be anywhere, at anytime they are picking it up. I understand that yes, deer tend to be there more, I know that. But again, they dont know how it is actually spread. So what is different with a food plot again..Especially if they arent sure, you cant just say " well its the saliva on the mineral block" because they havent pin pointed it to that...get what im saying? And no, im not argueing, just trying to give you an idea of my thoughts..

Yeah, I think they will be conducting more research to find the exact mode of transmission.

Many blame penned deer for transmission to the wild population. If this is the case, then it would seem to be nose to nose contact through a fence. Some DNRs even suggest that game farms be bordered by two fences to keep the wild deer from making physical contact with the penned.

Anytime you concentrate any animal, the risk of disease transmission increases

I'll chime in again on this Randy and not picking on ya but just cause you brought it up buddy. He also mentions a food plot is not implicated in the spread of the disease but they draw in or yet concentrate deer. Right wrong or indifferent, we would not plant food plots if they did not draw in or concentrate deer. Standing grain crops are the same as a bait pile if they are left after a harvest because they also draw in or concentrate deer. I have had to brush up on my prion disease here but found that nothing dessicates them in the environment. If a "sick" deer deposits/leaves them at the food plot/grain pile/acorn ridge/water hole/bedding area/browse area/staging area/........it stays in that area indefinitly

If it is about CO availability in checking on bait piles...illegal folks will still do illegal activities. It is illegal to shoot a deer with a rifle in bow season with artificial light but yet it still happens every year....that law has not changed the unethical shooter.

If it is about the spread of disease, the standing grain plots and 50 yard from the house rule have got to go as well. The pictures posted above show that in fine detail.

I can understand both sides of the situation as for those who want it and who don't but neither argument for the ban fulfills its intended goal.

I have one of these game farms 3 miles east of me,i often wonder why they dont have a double fence.This last case in missouri was in one of these pens.

I know i have my own selfish reasons for not liking this bill,but it seems the dnr would be more ridgid with these game farms.Maybe they should start there with the baiting feeding rules,then get some good research going, then come to the public with there findings.

Can you identify which of the following photographs are of baiting and which are of wildlife feeding?

265-1_original.jpg

265-3_original.jpg

265-2_original.jpg

265-6_original.jpg

265-5_original.jpg

265-11_original.jpg

265-10_original.jpg

265-4_original.jpg

265-9_original.jpg

265-8_original.jpg

265-7_original.jpg

265-13_original.jpg

265-19_original.jpg

At this point in time they are all considered wildlife feeding because no one is hunting over them. I think it is a safe assumption that the proximity of the wildlife feed to the blind/stand is for hunting and not just wildlife viewing, but a CO cannot make that assumption. Given a new set of rules the CO will be able to do what we would all like them to do, bust the poachers in a quick and efficient manner.

Bonker, how exactly will this new rule make it any easier for the CO? If anything, it will make them waste MORE time on it than they do today. Not saying they waste time, just saying it will not make their time any more efficient.

Also, the new rule turns otherwise law abiding citizens into law breakers. The law breakers will still do what they do and will be just as hard to catch.

Another question? Why is it bucks have more of the Disease than does and fawns? This was the case in MI, with the TB too ,supposedly. Seems like does and fawns lick eachother more than bucks. Does and fawns eat more from baits and plots too.

I would think bucks get it more since they travel a bigger area? Especially during breeding perhaps??
And with the photos, again as stated, how will it make it easier? Dont they still have to catch someone there hunting?? Just asking

Can you identify which of the following photographs are of baiting and which are of wildlife feeding?

Not to be a smart-ass but whats your point???? As soon as the person tries to take an animal, that is illegal and they deserve a fine. You can go in my back field right now and see the same thing. Am I hunting, NO. I find it hard to take you seriously at all Tom when you thought process is not well thought out.

Bonker, Randy.... Got a lot of respect for you both!

However, neither of you are providing any kind of information, stats, or any hard evidence that this bill do do anything other than have an extremely low, if not non-existant reduction in THE CHANCE that this disease will spread. To be honest, you are sounding like talking heads reciting info you have been fed. No offense.

Furthermore, it is all coming down on the deer hunters, more specifically the recreational camera users..... The bird watchers are getting off. What about the cattle farmer with salt/mineral licks set out in pastures (not lots)? Don't say deer don't use them, because they do, I have witnessed it. And I know its been beat to death, but the 50 yards or feet from a residence thing? Absolutely the dumbest part of this bill..... Bottom line with that aspect is its completely political... SO, I see this as discrimination and its bunk.

As far as the enforcement side of things, this will allow the COs to make a case quicker than before, but there is still investigation that will be involved, trips to the courthouse, etc., etc. It will not have large enough of an impact to justify the claims they say it will. Those guys will fill that time with other issues..... basically robbing Peter to pay Paul.

This bill is full of holes and in its current form will not pass. I think the DNR, IBA, and other interested parties oughta consult with the guys it is affecting more before they move forward AT ALL. if not, bridges will be burned. Sad but true.

I certainly will not support this bill as it stands, and I plan on using my media outlets to better educate the hunting public about what is being rammed down their throat.

Looking forward to signing that petition at the classic!
:way:

I think it will help them out in two ways. First the local CO knows who is who and what is what in their area. They know a guy is putting out bait but just haven’t been able to catch them over it. You and I both know that those permanent blinds that were baited were used by the land owner or are used by someone well known to the land owner. They just don’t “show up” without the land owner knowing whose they are. A simple stop, chat and write a ticket. Second way, and I know I’m rather altruistic here, if wildlife feeding becomes illegal then those of us who are otherwise law abiding will continue to be law abiding in this regard.

I am not a CO, I have never ridden with a CO or any law enforcement for that matter. So there is some speculation on my part. I would recommend calling your CO for a chat about this bill so you can get real answers not just my ideas.

Bonker, Randy.... Got a lot of respect for you both!

However, neither of you are providing any kind of information, stats, or any hard evidence that this bill do do anything other than have an extremely low, if not non-existant reduction in THE CHANCE that this disease will spread. To be honest, you are sounding like talking heads reciting info you have been fed. No offense.
No offense taken. I'm pretty much neutral on the bill as stands, too many loopholes. Also, there isn't any great science on this topic. Still, I'd rather err on the side of being conservative and I have done that on the properties I hunt (no food plots, no mineral licks, etc.). And my decision wasn't base on ONLY the disease issue, there are other factors involved.

Also, I'm not big on more laws nor do I care to tell anyone else what to do. I've tried to keep posts informative and show a different perspective, to let people make up their own mind, appears most already have, which is fine.

Cheers.

Not to be a smart-ass but whats your point???? As soon as the person tries to take an animal, that is illegal and they deserve a fine. You can go in my back field right now and see the same thing. Am I hunting, NO. I find it hard to take you seriously at all Tom when you thought process is not well thought out.

The point I'm trying to make, and rather poorly I guess, is the person no longer will need to be trying to take an animal for it to be illegal to have wildlife feed out, hunting or not.

Fishbonker,there are 2 types of pens (game breeders)controlled by the department of ag,(hunting preserves) controlled by the dnr.The one located by me is a hunting preserve!!!!

The difference between the 2 is game breeders are tested often for disease,animals can be brought in and out.hunting preserves, not has much testing, no animal can leave alive!!!

so before you take away my rights to do what i enjoy,maybe we should tighten up some other areas!!!

Care to share?

Here's how I see it based on the conversations I have had....

The enforcement issue is the only positive side to this argument. Making it illegal during the season is all I would support, and Bonker is right that they don't have to catch the hunter in the act of hunting over it to make their case. All they have to do is determine WHO is hunting the area and go from there.... So, from that perspective, I can see a benefit. However, the disease issue is a selling point, nothing more, and is TOTAL bull the way it is currently set up. Once its illegal, the COs will have to enforce it still. It is simply a redistribution of their work. I agree in how it will aid in making cases easier.... but thats it.

Again, I offer this solution IF this is really that big of an issue....
If the IDNR and IBA want this bill passed, there needs to be some compromise. I'll be honest, this affects my camera efforts as it does a vast majority of this membership and MANY MANY other hunters in iowa.... To help in the COs reduce their work load, or redistribute as it were, make any and all baiting illegal from Sept. 1 through Feb. 1, then allow those land managers who believe in supplemental feeding to continue their efforts, and the trail camera guys can still do their work, as it IS a valuable aspect to their scouting efforts in the preseason.

If not, then make residual baiting illegal, not the feeding of grain or ag products. If Licking is the concern, do away with licks, not the alternative.....

Everybody wins in this case! And, I just flat don't believe that this effort will prevent any spread of CWD. If its gonna get to Iowa, it will happen with or without the implementation of this bill. Let's be real here....

I have never baited, never put out minerals or supplements or what have you. So as far as im concerned this bill wont change the way I hunt... BUT I dont see how any of the pictures are any different than if those were of tree stands or blinds next to harvested corn fields or food plots or nut trees or honey locust or turnip patches :rolleyes:. It doesnt say "poaching" or "Unethical" to me, it does say, shooting a deer over a food source.

Is it fair for a landowner to plant a 10+ acre food plot next to large tract of public land? Is it also fair for that same landowner to be able to shoot 3 bucks on his property?

Is it fair for the residential tree huggers who live next door to a prime hunting spot to put out corn piles so the deer stay on their property and then don't get hunted?

Is it fair for a landowner to put up a huge drum feeders? Drawing all the deer to his property, leaving the neigbhoring land owner high and dry? What if that landowner was a Non-resident?

So whats fair to ALL hunters and still takes a proactive approach to the disease issue? Banning all feeding and all food plots. Only self-sustaining food sources should be available to deer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom