Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

IBA supports feeding baiting bill

Can you identify which of the following photographs are of baiting and which are of wildlife feeding?

265-1_original.jpg

265-3_original.jpg

265-2_original.jpg

265-6_original.jpg

265-5_original.jpg

265-11_original.jpg

265-10_original.jpg

265-4_original.jpg

265-9_original.jpg

265-8_original.jpg

265-7_original.jpg

265-13_original.jpg

265-19_original.jpg

At this point in time they are all considered wildlife feeding because no one is hunting over them. I think it is a safe assumption that the proximity of the wildlife feed to the blind/stand is for hunting and not just wildlife viewing, but a CO cannot make that assumption. Given a new set of rules the CO will be able to do what we would all like them to do, bust the poachers in a quick and efficient manner.

Can you identify which of the following photographs are of baiting and which are of wildlife feeding?

kdjv35.jpg

2078cqu.jpg

f3xh6v.jpg

I think if a blind/treestand were shown in these pics, your reply regarding these photos applies here too. Since these food plots were placed there to attract wildlife, and will not be harvested, these are not normal agriculture practices, and falls under illegal baiting, as described by Iowa Code. Either allow it all, or none, imo.

At this point in time they are all considered wildlife feeding because no one is hunting over them. I think it is a safe assumption that the proximity of the wildlife feed to the blind/stand is for hunting and not just wildlife viewing, but

The 2nd photo I posted looks like a lot of close saliva, feces,contact with a deer herd, for those of you that say scattered grain has more risk of close contact then a small food plot. Looks like anything that steps in that plot, is within bow range, and def muzzle loader range.

Last edited:
Since these food plots were placed there to attract wildlife, and will not be harvested, these are not normal agriculture practices, and falls under illegal baiting, as described by Iowa Code. Either allow it all, or none, imo.

Just because you don't practice this kind of management, Don, doesn't make you the voice of reason. Your interpretation of how the food plot implementations fit into the Iowa code is wrong. Plain and simple.

Not to be a smart-ass but whats your point???? As soon as the person tries to take an animal, that is illegal and they deserve a fine. You can go in my back field right now and see the same thing. Am I hunting, NO. I find it hard to take you seriously at all Tom when you thought process is not well thought out.

Couldn't agree more......... Once again, all you're trying to accomplish is to make criminals out of honest folks. Is this something you're really that passionate about Tom, or is it something you're trying to tie into the CWD portion of your efforts? I commend you and Randy for removing your mineral sites and letting your food plots grow up in weeds, after all, it's your ground and you can do as you wish. However, I don't think either of you have any more experience than most people on the site do in regards to time in field, deer behavior, social structuring, or agricultural management. You can throw all the statistics you can gather at me and I'm still going to do what I feel is acceptable on my own property as long as it's within the boundaries of the law, not because I think I know better, but because I don't believe anyone else does either.

I agree with HCH. If its not a self sustaining food source, my OPINION is it should be considered bait and illegal.

hahaha, well, thats fine I guess. I completely disagree, but whatever. But I can assure you, the IDNR will not outlaw food plots. not even worth the discussion as far as I'm concerned

I believe that this whole thing about the 50 yards of the house thing is being taken way out of context. As I understood it that was to allow the homeowners in the suburbs to put out bird or squirrel feeders in their yards not so that they could dump 50 bushels of corn there to draw deer to take pictures of with trail cams. This bill does apply to the feeding of all wildlife, not just deer. I know of a couple of people living in the country who do actually have feed bunks in their back yards to feed deer and since several deer have been hit by cars at or very close to their houses have stopped that practice. I know at least one was visited by the DNR and was asked to stop feeding deer because of this.
Right now I have 4 bird feeders in my yard and use about 50 pounds of sunflower seed in about 3 weeks. I also have 30 apple trees and several crab apple trees within 50 yards of the house which deer feed on in the fall and winter as the fruit drops, so without that 50 yard rule I would have to pickup every apple that dropped or I would be in violation of baiting.
We have to get real about this whole thing. Since no one really knows if CWD is transmitted through these bait or mineral sites they also don't know that IT DOESN'T GET TRANSMITTED THAT WAY. If there is even a small chance that it does then isn't it worth the effort to ban baiting? With our deer herd in such a rapid decline (about 50% in just 5 years) if a devastating disease like CWD or TB or Black Tongue were to break out just think what could happen in just months rather than years. Doesn't it just make sense to error on the side of caution? Isn't that what we do for ourselves every fall with flu shots or with our children when they start school, with the polo or rubella or all the other vaccinations that are required before they can even attend school. No one knows that a child will get measles for sure, but they might so we make it mandatory for them to get a shot. No one knows if that world record buck will get CWD but he might but we can't give him a shot so we do something else that just MIGHT prevent that. We ban bait and mineral sites because that deer is to dumb to know that he could get sick there.

Thats the problem, they dont know how its transmitted. How long have food plots really been getting planted? Minerals have been in the soils for ages, and obviously, we add to them with mineral licks. But starting to plant food plots, perhaps that could be where its all turning up, and maybe its the food plot that is spreading the disease. I guess since we dont know, we should ban them too then right?! Thats the thing, if they dont know, its all got to go to make any sense.. just my opinion...

I believe that this whole thing about the 50 yards of the house thing is being taken way out of context. As I understood it that was to allow the homeowners in the suburbs to put out bird or squirrel feeders in their yards not so that they could dump 50 bushels of corn there to draw deer to take pictures of with trail cams. This bill does apply to the feeding of all wildlife, not just deer. I know of a couple of people living in the country who do actually have feed bunks in their back yards to feed deer and since several deer have been hit by cars at or very close to their houses have stopped that practice. I know at least one was visited by the DNR and was asked to stop feeding deer because of this.
Right now I have 4 bird feeders in my yard and use about 50 pounds of sunflower seed in about 3 weeks. I also have 30 apple trees and several crab apple trees within 50 yards of the house which deer feed on in the fall and winter as the fruit drops, so without that 50 yard rule I would have to pickup every apple that dropped or I would be in violation of baiting.
We have to get real about this whole thing. Since no one really knows if CWD is transmitted through these bait or mineral sites they also don't know that IT DOESN'T GET TRANSMITTED THAT WAY. If there is even a small chance that it does then isn't it worth the effort to ban baiting? With our deer herd in such a rapid decline (about 50% in just 5 years) if a devastating disease like CWD or TB or Black Tongue were to break out just think what could happen in just months rather than years. Doesn't it just make sense to error on the side of caution? Isn't that what we do for ourselves every fall with flu shots or with our children when they start school, with the polo or rubella or all the other vaccinations that are required before they can even attend school. No one knows that a child will get measles for sure, but they might so we make it mandatory for them to get a shot. No one knows if that world record buck will get CWD but he might but we can't give him a shot so we do something else that just MIGHT prevent that. We ban bait and mineral sites because that deer is to dumb to know that he could get sick there.

This is what it's all about............. It's got to be one of Iowa's most hypocritical bills ever drawn up. Rewrite the bill and I think you'll have a surprising number of folks back down on it, or at least become neutral as I would.

A lot of the series of pictures you show would still require the CO to catch the offender huniting there with new law. Otherwise, rival neighbors and local hunters would just dump a saltblock or pile of corn in front of your stand, call the CO, and remove the competition. Can't prove I put it there therefore no violation if I don't hunt over it.

hahaha, well, thats fine I guess. I completely disagree, but whatever. But I can assure you, the IDNR will not outlaw food plots. not even worth the discussion as far as I'm concerned

Right on Thomas! :way: Food plots are a part of the Farm Bill. Its not up to the DNR

This is what it's all about............. It's got to be one of Iowa's most hypocritical bills ever drawn up. Rewrite the bill and I think you'll have a surprising number of folks back down on it, or at least become neutral as I would.

I would agree as well.

Otherwise, rival neighbors and local hunters would just dump a saltblock or pile of corn in front of your stand, call the CO, and remove the competition.

I have to say, the more I read on the few sites I visit the better and better things get at home. I cannot even fathom such a thing and suspect I'd hate hunting where such a thing was possible.

You're right they won't.....but I'd guess that somewhere down the line that plots lead to the legalization of baiting....assuming this bill fails, which I believe it will based solely on the within 50 yards of a house business, it doesn't hold water if disease is of concern.

Otherwise, rival neighbors and local hunters would just dump a saltblock or pile of corn in front of your stand, call the CO, and remove the competition

I can't believe that is a serious risk but I suppose it could happen. I just couldn't see anyone in my neck of the woods doing something like that.

A few years ago at the KBA's annual convention, Kansas Dept. of Wildlife and Parks chief wildlife biologist, Lloyd Fox, did a two hour presentation on CWD. We have had CWD in KS now for 3 or 4 years. We also allow baiting, even to hunt over during deer season. Not my choice of way to hunt, but its legal. The topic of banning bait was discussed at length, and according to Fox THERE IS NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE to support that CWD is spread through bait piles. So Kansas decided to not ban baiting until the proof was in the pudding. He did go to great lengths to show how much interaction goes on between the deer herd. The amount of nose to nose contact, licking, rubbing, between all members of the herd is much more than many of us realize. Deer will spread the disease regardless if there is corn on the ground or not. Once CWD is found, nothing will stop the spread other than mass slaughter of all the deer in an area.

Lloyd Fox is a super nice guy and could probably give you plenty of info on what KS has studied about CWD. I encourage you guys to try and contact him and chat with him.

I think that is what alot of us keep trying to say. Is there since they dont know how its spread, how can you ban one thing, but not another when it comes to feeding. Since there is no evidence, they have no ground to stand on to use that in there arguement

I think that is what alot of us keep trying to say. Is there since they dont know how its spread, how can you ban one thing, but not another when it comes to feeding. Since there is no evidence, they have no ground to stand on to use that in there arguement

I also agree that they have no ground to stand on. That said, if this bill is shot down does anyone foresee a legalization of baiting for hunting bill ever being proposed, I personally do not see how it cannot??

I will also add that so far the spread in our state has been minimal, yet the use of baiting is very prevalent, not just for cameras, but for hunting. The number of lazy, no-skill hunters in our state is staggering. I'm not talking about a bag of corn either. There are guys that hunt over dump truck loads of corn. So far in isn't contributing to the rapid spread of the disease here.

Top Bottom