Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

IBA supports feeding baiting bill

As much as I hate to say this, I dont think anyone will agree anymore. Especially since they do not know how CWD even spreads. After that came forward, now its just going to be a pissing match on how many people they want to piss off. Thats just my opinion.

If you remember waaayyyyyy back on like page 9 or something I said there were two bottom lines, one on spreading disease and one on enforcement. When they shared the pics of the tree stands with bait in front of them I became incensed. I was pissed off. I felt like I had been personally violated. Who has the balls to do that and get away with it? Don’t you wanna see them busted? Don’t you wanna see the poachers that are thumbing their noses at the rest of us who hunt within the law get their comeuppance? I want those jerks busted, fined and hunting privileges gone. IN MY OPINION the new law will help the CO bust these poachers back to the stone age. So yes, I am quite passionate about it. I am not trying to tie enforcement into disease spreading. It just happens that some of the pics are of grain/hay and some are mineral.

The term “stands to reason” keeps haunting me. It is the same as “empirical knowledge”. It “stands to reason” (Bonker reason) that minerals will help develop a deer herd even though there is evidence that it may not. It also “stands to reason” (again, Bonker reason) that diseases are spread through several deer licking the same area over and over even though there is evidence it may not. So how do I reconcile the two reasonable possibilities of mineral licks? I wanna believe there is no risk of disease spread by mineral licks, but I just can’t. Shredder I know you’re a veterinarian and have a solid knowledge base in regard to spread of disease so I respect your opinion. I’m a nurse so I too have a basic understanding of how diseases are spread and I see a mineral lick as a petri dish full of agar just waiting to grow germs. Germs, viruses and prions just waiting for the next healthy deer to come along and get whatever disease the last deer to visit that site had.

Back to the enforcement part, I don’t get angry easy or often but those pictures just push my button. So it is out of anger in the guise of passion that I want the poachers to be caught by the most efficient and effective means possible and banning wildlife feeding, to me, is the most efficient and effective means possible.

Bonker, where do I start? I have sat mute for the last week or so on this issue, but you have just completely come back to the reason I was upset about this in the first place. I agree with you and it pisses me off as well that people get away with the things that they do in any aspect of life, not just hunting. BUT this is where my original point comes in. Where does it stop after this? I spoke with another member of the IBA board last week and in the course of our conversation he mentioned that he hated when people name the deer on their trail cam pics and that he didn't use them(cams). He spoke of them like they have ruined the hunting industry and should be done away with. So my point is that this is a personal agenda of a few fellows in an elected position. When you take on the title of IBA board member it is your duty to leave personal agenda's out of your decision making. I'm sorry if it enraged you when you saw those photos, but you should have taken a deep breath and thought things through as well as taken into consideration all of the people that utilize this resource LEGALLY. This whole thread has been about peoples personal feelings and what they think is wrong or right or ethical. That is not what this is about! This is about enacting another meaningless law that will serve absolutely no purpose and only cause more time and effort by our CO"s to enforce. The same people that pissed you off in the first place are still going to piss you off! And yes this could make it easier to catch THOSE people, but think of how many thousands of guys are still going to be putting out corn and minerals on their land that will require the CO"s to pursue, now that that is illegal as well. I appreciate you finally coming out after 42 pages and admitting that this is a personal agenda of yours because you got mad and acted on a whim! I personally could care less if I can't put corn out for my cams next year, and it will not effect my hunting in the least bit, but like I said before that is not what this is about. I just don't want this to snowball and turn into a group of guys with to much power banning everything just because they don't like it, or use it! I don't see the IBA turning into that and I will continue to support it, I just ask when you are in these meetings to check you personal feelings at the door.

Thanks for representing us and keep up the good work! :way:

Last edited:
Lets break this Debate into subtopics, here's how I see it.

Ethics of Baiting
Legalities of Baiting
Legalities of Feeding
Disease
Fair Access to Deer

I would propose that we don't! The initial thread was that the IBA supports the baiting ban. It has been admitted by the board members that they knew they were going to receive backlash from this. Stay on the topic of the proposed bill, otherwise everything else is just opinion based and that's what got us here in the first place. If you want peoples opinions on what they think of baiting, diseases, access, utilization of products, etc... than start appropriate threads for each.

No doubt about it, squirrel boy is greg bickal.....and great point dedgeez. I agree with you 100percent. This law will do nothing but punish the law abiding supplemental feeders. The criminals will still commit the crime of baiting whether or not we can supplemental feed. It's similar to stricter gun laws, it doesn't stop or hinder crime, the bad guys will still carry.

That is the problem with some people who have power. They think that just because we say, 'No, you can't do that' that people will stop. That's not the way it works. I hope the CO's have fun being tied up with supplemental feeders instead of working on catching the spotlighting rifle hunter 3 sections over.

IBA supported the stance, the members didnt. So give the IBA a stance that they can support.

Is the current thread going in any direction besides arguing? I was trying to put on my facilitators hat and get it moving in a productive direction. Give me some whiteboards and multi-color markers, and a couple of subcomittees and I think we can put some ideas to paper :rolleyes:

What? This doesn't make sense, The members and the board are the IBA! This is the first disagreement the members and the board have ever had. The issue arose because the board acted without the members support(which is not the norm).

Ideas for what? We already know what the members and the board of the IBA think, so what are you facilitating? This bill has petitions out against it and more than likely is not going anywhere anyway. I think if you want to get more opinions you should start other threads and keep this one about the original subject, not about how Joe Schmo feels about food plots Vs. corn piles, or whether or not John boy thinks that scouting with and utilizing the information from your trail cams is "real" hunting. If you want to gather ideas, go back and read the previous 43 pages! Keep it fact based not opinionated! :way:

Last edited:
I dont know your real name, nor do post it on the board and I would ask that you respect my right to privacy and anonymity not post mine.

I don't know your name either, you just remind me a lot of a member who recently left the site who went by the username of GregBickal.

I have read the whole thread. I guess why do I bother. If this bill passes it will actually benefit me as I dont feed or bait or use supplements. I was trying to help you guys out to keep your rights. Hopefully your petition works for you, if not, maybe you'll wish you had more support from people like me. But what do I know right, just the village idiot here.

Ugghhhhhh! This is exactly my point! And the reason that there are 44 pages of "my way is better" or "your not a real hunter" because you use that product........ CRAP. This bill is not about whether or not it is going to benefit an individual (YOU) if supplemental feeding and minerals are banned. But somehow that is what it turned into and the reason that it was unjustly voted for in the first place. Look at the big picture for god sakes and stop worrying about me me me me me me me me me me... Like I said, start another thread if you want to talk about ethics, hunting practices, baiting, food plotting, sex, drugs, or rock and roll. I don't care, just stop wasting our time with insignificant banter.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Not really, until they have actual proof..imo..and besides, if you are worried about cwd, they will have to ban all mineral blocks, because the deer dont see the ones for cattle as off limits..

Greg,

Lose the tunnel vision and u'll see what dedgez is saying. Open ur eyes.

Last edited:
Ok this is killing me! What happened to Greg Bickel? And squirrel if that is you why the change? Did someone give him the boot?

""That is, a proof must demonstrate that a statement is true in all cases, without a single exception""

So you just post that link, that states that in it.... So your telling me, mineral licks have been proven to spread cwd, without exception? wow...id like to see this research...everything that has been said on this site lately states they dont know how... and as I stated before, minerals have been around forever... it could be the food in the food plots, the brassicas, and turnips, and all of that that very well could be setting off all of this..but nope, everyone turns there head when I said that...hmm, weird

you dont need proof. As a rule of science you error on the side of plausability.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_proof

OMG than run to the kitchen and put on your tin foil hat, because the Aliens are coming! WOW for real man? What if's will only make you paranoid and pessimistic.

There have been people way smarter than you and I studying these diseases for years and no one knows for sure what causes what or who transfers what to what or whom :rolleyes:

If we error on the side of plausability, then we as humans would never leave our homes nor would we even be worried about deer, because of all the things that could "supposedly" wipe US out.

1 - IBA members who have an e-mail address posted with the Association were sent an e-mail approximately two weeks before the last Board Meeting with the language of the Baiting and Feeding Bill. Less than 12 responses were received, from approximatly 500 addresses, with a 50/50 split for and against.

This thread was started 10 days ago and has been viewed 891 times with 15 pages of back and forth and I doubt if 10 people have changed their minds.

I don't know Linejammer and don't know he came up 12 responses. If his information is correct, my question is.Where in the he** were the other 488 people. 500 people were given the opportunity to give their in put and TWELVE took the time to answer. Does that sound like it a hot topic to you.

Does this mean the next time we have a big issue at the statehouse there will be at least 891 emails and phone calls made to legislators. Any organization is only as strong as the membership. There are a lot of people lurking on this site, that are really smiling cause we are fighting amongst ourselves. NOT TRYING TO TAKE ANY HEAT OFF THE BOARD, it is what it is.Decision was made and can't take it back.

IBA sends out updates and asks for your help on a regular basis. GET INVOLVED.

This thread was started 10 days ago and has been viewed 891 times with 15 pages of back and forth and I doubt if 10 people have changed their minds.

I don't know Linejammer and don't know he came up 12 responses. If his information is correct, my question is.Where in the he** were the other 488 people. 500 people were given the opportunity to give their in put and TWELVE took the time to answer. Does that sound like it a hot topic to you.

Does this mean the next time we have a big issue at the statehouse there will be at least 891 emails and phone calls made to legislators. Any organization is only as strong as the membership. There are a lot of people lurking on this site, that are really smiling cause we are fighting amongst ourselves. NOT TRYING TO TAKE ANY HEAT OFF THE BOARD, it is what it is.Decision was made and can't take it back.

IBA sends out updates and asks for your help on a regular basis. GET INVOLVED.

Randy,
I'll take partial blame here for obviously not updating my correct email address..........but I can assure you that I would have responded to the email if I would have seen it. I responded last year, and to be honest I assumed the IBA understood that a large percentage of members were not in favor of the bill.
Jamie

Top Bottom