Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hf 327 & sf219

ElkHunter

Life Member
ICA Action Alert

The non-resident landowner deer hunting bill (SF219/HF327 – same bill both chambers, both in Natural Resource subcommittees) has taken an interesting turn. NRA now appears to be supporting the bill, with some horse-trading on gun issues the probable reason. The bill is also favored by the DNR Director and is rumored to be supported by the Governor’s Office. This issue is not going to die easily, and it will be important to educate all legislators and members of the key committees about the difficulties with the bill. Even if these bills are not voted out of committees, the issue will resurface later in the session (likely as an amendment to an appropriations bill). Here is a link to the Senate bill Senate File 219 which mirrors HF 327. Hold down on your Control Key and click the link to be taken to the legislation in your browser.

In our teleconference of Sunday 2/20/2011, the Conservation Alliance voted overwhelmingly to oppose SF219/HF327. These bills provide a guarantee that Non-Resident Landowners with 80 or more acres may obtain an any-sex deer permit (and an accompanying antlerless tag) upon payment of a higher fee of $1000 (this is more than other NR’s pay--more than double the current NR fee structure). Please provide the following information to your members and ask them to contact their personal state legislators (both House and Senate). Contact information follows at the end of the email.

Here’s the impact of SF219 and HF 327 on Iowans, and on non-residents that do not own land -- important points to bring forward when talking with legislators:

1. These bills establish a deer licensing system that discriminates between Non-Resident (NR) landowners and NR deer hunters that do not own land. Preference is given to NR landowners at the expense of others, placing unfair advantage in the hands of one group vying for a limited number of permits. NR landowners are charged more ($1000 vs $420) for guaranteed drawing preference (1 anysex / 1 antlerless permit). This is also unfair to those unable to buy these special privileges.
  1. These bills give privileges to Non-Resident landowners that other NR deer hunters are not afforded, and that are not even granted to Iowa residents! Under these bills, a non-resident landowner would be allowed to hunt all of the Iowa deer seasons until their tag is filled. Early muzzleloader, bow, 1st gun season, 2nd gun, late muzzleloader--everything. Even Iowa resident hunters are not allowed these luxuries.
3. These bills do not ask for additional any-sex permits now, however, they guarantee increased future demand. The legislation encourages increased land purchase by Non-Residents (because of the guaranteed license). This exerts pressure for additional permits from other NR’s that lose out to NR landowners.
4. These bills are unconstitutional! The legislation suggests that some of the license money generated will be directed to REAP for land acquisition. Iowa has a constitutional amendment that protects where license dollar are directed (they must go to the Fish & Wildlife Trust Fund) and how those dollars are spent. A misdirection of these funds risks the loss of matching Federal Pittman/Robinson funding. In any case, the funds generated by the bill will purchase very little public land, particularly when compared to the loss of access that is likely on private lands.
  1. <LI style="COLOR: black; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo2" class=MsoNormal>SF219 and HF 327 will quickly diminish hunting access for resident Iowans. This legislation guarantees the sale of many 80 acre tracts to non-resident deer hunters. Few Iowans will ever set foot on these areas again. It will also fuel resident purchases of recreational hunting lands. Access is an issue in Iowa! Iowa is not like Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, and Missouri--all of which have national forests and many more public areas. This legislation will result in a net loss of access to private lands for resident Iowa hunters.
  2. Legislators should not be tampering with Trust Fund revenue, or with REAP allocations and where those dollars come from. Iowa Legislators and the DNR should be working to create expanded outdoor opportunities for Iowans - not on legislation favoring non-resident landowners.
Please have your members contact their Senators (http://www.legis.iowa.gov/Legislators/senate.aspx) or Representatives ( http://www.legis.iowa.gov/Legislators/house.aspx) by typing in their town). Legislators may be contacted by phone or email. However, the best way to contact legislators is in person. Most of them have periodic forums at home in their districts that offer the opportunity for those concerned to visit with them in person.

· Contact Legislators through the weekend at home at political forums (listening posts, Eggs and Issues Breakfasts, etc).
· Call them at home over the weekend (phone #’s are available for many legislators via the links above).
· Call or email early next week when Legislators return to Des Moines and the Legislature is in session (Iowa House 515-281-3221 / Iowa Senate 515-281-3371)

Importantly, the members of both the House Natural Resource Committee http://www.legis.iowa.gov/Schedules/committee.aspx?GA=84&CID=28 and the Senate Natural Resources and Environment Committee http://www.legis.iowa.gov/Schedules/committee.aspx?GA=84&CID=10 should also be contacted. Many are freshman legislators, and may not be aware of the importance of the issue to resident Iowa hunters.

Last edited:
Thank you NRA. If you are a member of this organization they need to hear your love. To think they could sell out a whole state! I must admit that I don't have the facts yet. But if it is so Uncle Ted just sold out America!

Last edited:
CRIPES!!!

The NRA, one of, if not the most powerful lobbying group in the US.:mad:

Farm Bureau, deeply entrenched across Iowa and the Midwest.
shakingmad.gif

Insurance industry claiming $$$ losses, deer numbers are down, but is your bill?
thumbsdown.gif

Rich NRLO's >
rant2.gif

A sympathetic DNR head.:(

Appears the Iowa resident hunter is
censored.gif
d.

I have already heard back from my rep on the house committee that he will not support this legislation. It is important you contact your rep. If they do not hear from their constituents they will be more likely to trade a yes vote on this issue for votes on issues they care more about. If these bills come down to a vote it will be interesting to watch how this shakes out by party.

I really hope those that haven't gotten involved in contacting their legislators will do so now. It appears that the stakes have been raised and the voice of Iowa's resident hunters needs to be heard loud and clear. Don't forget to contact Director Lande as well since it appears he hasn't heard much from us on these issues.

Council Bluffs Public Library
Meeting Room B
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM:TODAY
Legislative Coffee
For Western Pottawattamie County

Elkhunter ---no truer words were ever spoke... a deer licensing system that discriminates, I guess you could say that's right!

Hey everyone did you know:
These bills establish a deer licensing system that discriminates between Non-Resident (NR) landowners and NR deer hunters that do not own land. Preference is given to NR landowners at the expense of others, placing unfair advantage in the hands of one group vying for a limited number of permits. NR landowners are charged more ($1000 vs $420) for guaranteed drawing preference (1 anysex / 1 antlerless permit). This is also unfair to those unable to buy these special privileges.

Be sure to email your legislator and see if you can convince them that these bills even come "remotely" near the discrimination that presently exists, for non-resident landowners. Thanks Elkhunter for letting everyone know this.

ironwood said:
Thank you NRA. If you are a member of this organization they need to here your love. To think they could sell out a whole state! I must admit that I don't have the facts yet. But if it is so Uncle Ted just sold out America!

The NRA has nothing to do with this bill.

mplane, I think residents can buy multiple tags every year at $27 and resident landowners can shoot up to three bucks every year. How is a LANDOWNING NR who is paying $1000 per year, if this passes, to hunt one buck and one doe getting preference? They do own and manage land that the non-landowning NR does not.

Where did the NRA endorsement mention go in the original post?? The first post said the NRA backs this bill.

Last edited:
I think everyone is getting too far out on their treestand.... The IBA does not care about the NR or the NRLO.... This bill does not "discriminate" against the NR as far as his chances of getting a license goes.... There would still be 6000 NR tags and these NRLO tags would be in addtion to them just like the Govenors tags..... As far as cost "discrimination" goes I don't remember the IBA coming out and saying anything when the NR license went up to $420 which some guys can't afford...... I don't think there are 1000 of guys with around $250K sitting around that want to run out and pay $1000 for a license.......

mplane, I think residents can buy multiple tags every year at $27 and resident landowners can shoot up to three bucks every year. How is a LANDOWNING NR who is paying $1000 per year, if this passes, to hunt one buck and one doe getting preference? They do own and manage land that the non-landowning NR does not.

Where did the NRA endorsement mention go in the original post?? The first post said the NRA backs this bill.

JDubs...I'm with you, maybe Elkhunter is retracting his statement, along with the swipe at the DNR Director (who they just had amicable meeting with)and the Governor of the great state of Iowa

Jdubs, I was referring more to the cynical statements regarding the "discriminatory" nature of the current draw system.

I really have nothing against NRs coming here to hunt. I look forward to the day I can afford to head out West or up North on a trip. When I do I will play by my chosen destinations draw regulations.

We're being told the NRA is supporting this legislation . Pretty good sources. I simply believe it is time for supporters to hear the out cry
NRA Included

IBA, NRA... it really doesn't matter much to me what you all think about their stance about this issue. If you don't like them, voice your opinion to them and let them know about your displeasure with them. You really need to understand the issues as individuals and let your reps know what you think.

My passion is the management of our wildlife populations, overall herd health and hunting, land access and purchasing opportunities, both now and in the future. Any one of you residents or non residents who think the impact of this proposal, should it pass, would be insignificant, are fools (sorry if you are offended by that).

I am really concerned since my Senator on the committee has failed to reply to my concerns, which has me thinking he supports this. More of us need to be heard.

The CTA/Action Alert, I posted came from the ICA (Iowa Conservation Alliance) the IBA is a member of ICA. I'm going to delete it and put up an updated one. Some of the information may not be in line with some of the comments/posts made earlier from IBA.
Not softening any comments on DNR Director,meeting we had was open and frank, but I'm 99.95% sure he supports this legislation.
I know the author of this update and he's not one to make wild comments without being able to defend them. If you belong to NWTF,PF,OF,DU,BASS,Trappers or several other conservation groups you will be getting the same Action Alert, this was forward on to all ICA members.

This won't pass, but it's giving preference to the nrlo over the nr hunter. Why should the nrlo be given the opportunity to hunt BUCKS every year, and the nr hunter waits three years? First the nrlo calls discrimination against the resident landowners. Now your willing to discriminate against other nr hunters to get your way.

Top Bottom