Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hf 327 & sf219

like2hunt;418531.There may be others but as far as I know Iowa is the only state that does not give nrlo's any preference over non residents who do not own land. Not really very complicated .[/QUOTE said:
That is a false statement! You are just pissed about this one privledge you will never see. NRLO do get privledges.

As long as the IBA and IWTF has a stronghold and a finger on the pulse of Iowa's hunting legislation, NRLO benefits, and NR tag numbers will not change much if at all.... Better quit your internet bantering and drop some Benjamins into your lobbyist....

picture.php

That is a false statement! You are just pissed about this one privledge you will never see. NRLO do get privledges.
Have you forgotten nrlo's are put into a lottery with nr's? Yes you are correct that does not make me happy.I havent liked it for the past 10 years that I have owned property in Iowa.But I dont think I am wrong either.From your posts I believe you would feel the same way if the tables were turned and you had land in Illinois and you were required to rely on the luck of draw that had all nr's grouped together.

I believe that is correct .There are 4 major groups=resident landowners=residents =non resident land owners=non residents.Each group has their own priviledges and should be recognized.There may be others but as far as I know Iowa is the only state that does not give nrlo's any preference over non residents who do not own land. Not really very complicated .
You better pull your head out of your "you know what"! When was the last time you looked at Iowa deer hunting regulations? Have you ever heard of the nonresident Iowa landowner antlerless-only deer hunting license? Now correct me if i am wrong, but i'm pretty sure nonresidents who don't own land can purchase these licenses. Evidently it is a little more complicated for some of you to figure out!

Last edited:
I don't necessarily support this, but hypothetical situation:

Why not give NRLOs an extra preference point or some kind of advantage in the draw, but leave overall tag numbers roughly the same(or maybe bump up +2000 or so)? You'd still sell out of tags every year and you'd still cap the number of tags every year to appease all of you that think NRs will take over completely.

I don't necessarily support this, but hypothetical situation:

Why not give NRLOs an extra preference point or some kind of advantage in the draw, but leave overall tag numbers roughly the same(or maybe bump up +2000 or so)? You'd still sell out of tags every year and you'd still cap the number of tags every year to appease all of you that think NRs will take over completely.
Bumping up nr tags +2000 isn't appeasing me! NRLO's have the opportunity to hunt deer every year on their own land. That means you can hunt deer in Iowa plus your own state. What more do you guys want? I say if you guys don't like the Iowa deer hunting regulations; look for a state that you do like.

Do you notice however, they are not happy hunting there own land for a doe..I mean come on, really guys.

come on guys we have plenty of hunting opps

Do you notice however, they are not happy hunting there own land for a doe..I mean come on, really guys.

Yeah guys cmon don't you think it is a bit selfish to expect to shoot a buck, especially now that we can get otc dove tags....or is that a draw?

Hardwood, you self centered and selfish NRLO. You get to shoot one doe on your own farm. You should genuflect before the DNR, Ironwood and Cedar Creek, feel fortunate and enjoy your 2 lbs. of slick head back strap. Oh, and don't forget to donate a portion of you bounty to HUSH.

Hardwood, you self centered and selfish NRLO. You get to shoot one doe on your own farm. You should genuflect before the DNR, Ironwood and Cedar Creek, feel fortunate and enjoy your 2 lbs. of slick head back strap. Oh, and don't forget to donate a portion of you bounty to HUSH.
Sorry to disappoint you, its just that I talked to my neighboring farmers in iowa and they all think this nr draw is ridiculous, so I guess I started to take the attitude that it would be nice to shoot one of the 20+ deer that use my property with a bow and arrow, but then I started to read all the good threads on iowawhitetail.com and then I realized that I was being selfish and foolish for thinking that way, so again I apologize!

It
You better pull your head out of your "you know what"! When was the last time you looked at Iowa deer hunting regulations? Have you ever heard of the nonresident Iowa landowner antlerless-only deer hunting license? Now correct me if i am wrong, but i'm pretty sure nonresidents who don't own land can purchase these licenses. Evidently it is a little more complicated for some of you to figure out!
No we have figured it out but it seems to be a band aid of some sort .I bought one of those tags a few years ago. .The past ten years I have had 4 tags including that one.I have shot 2 deer.I have never tried to get a tag under any false pretenses .I'm sure there are many nrlo's that also play by the rules but many of you group us together as selfish and unreasonable. But illiteracy may not be as big a problem as you imply.It really isnt complicated we let alot of residents hunt our land even when we cant so who is the selfish ones.Outfitters tie up alot larger parcels and block out more resident hunters than what nrlo's do I would suspect .But I dont hear you guys lash out at them nearly as hard,why is that?

Last edited:
No we have figured it out but it seems to be a band aid of some sort .I bought one of those tags a few years ago. .The past ten years I have had 4 tags including that one. Outfitters tie up alot larger parcels and block out more resident hunters than what nrlo's do I would suspect .But I dont hear you guys lash out at them nearly as hard,why is that?

40% is a pretty good odds if you ask me. If you told me I could get drawn 40% of the time for NM or Arizona or Wyoming elk tags I would jump all over it. And yes, Iowa whitetails are just as sought after if not more than western elk. And yes that is part of the lashing out! You just backed a point that alot of us as residents are worried about. A lot of the outfitters here are NRLO, and if we start guaranteeing NRLO buck tags every year or upping the NR quota, we will be infested with outfitters trying to make money and not worrying about the quality of our herd. Iowa cannot sustain that sort of pressure. Listen, I for one have nothing against the guys on this site that are NRLO wanting to hunt here, and I fully understand why you would, but you guys have to understand that letting every Joe from some other state buy land here and hunt every year would not be good for us. You NR's would be just as upset if Iowa decided to pass a bill allowing or upping the NR quotas, and the few of you on this site that already own land have some dude from Jersey buy up the land around you and start outfitting. Next thing you know you have guys shooting every 120 inch deer in your area and sitting on your fencelines, and wondering around your piece because they don't know where they are. And yes, this is a hypothetical situation, but whos to say that it wouldnt happen, and why would we even want to find out if it would? So, you say" well just grandfather the existing landowners in to something" well we all know that wouldn't work either, because 5 years down the road there will be a new crop of guys that are in the same position that some of you are that want the rules changed also. We can all sit here and say what if, what if, what if, but the fact is that what Iowa is doing now and has done is the reason that many of you want to come here so bad in the first place, so why change a good thing? I have never heard anyone say that you can't manage your land every year! Timber improvements, food plots, minerals, CRP, shooting does, etc. You are all still allowed to do this every year with no penalties or laws. These are all the same things that the die hard residents do as well! IMO you should have an advantage when it comes to killing monsters, because your letting your bucks grow for 2-3 years before you pursue them, perfect if you ask me. You guys have an opportunity to have some serious age structure on your ground. And if you want to gun hunt for bucks, you can do that even more frequently. I guess I just don't see the problem! If you ask me, you guys are truly blessed just to own dirt in this state, and you should enjoy the fact that Iowa lets NRs hunt at all! It is a privelage for any of us to hunt another state, NOT A RIGHT!

Last edited:
sorry L2H, I tried to multi quote you and it bunched it all together. Didn't mean to bastardize your post!

I believe that is correct .There are 4 major groups=resident landowners=residents =non resident land owners=non residents.Each group has their own priviledges and should be recognized.There may be others but as far as I know Iowa is the only state that does not give nrlo's any preference over non residents who do not own land.
I believe you were incorrect in making this statement, and i only wish to show you how wrong you are.

And don't forget Iowa won't stop you from hunting those slick heads on Sunday. Now i suppose you're against donating meat to the needy.

dedgeez said:
I for one have nothing against the guys on this site that are NRLO wanting to hunt here, and I fully understand why you would, but you guys have to understand that letting every Joe from some other state buy land here and hunt every year would not be good for us.

us = you, me, all Iowa residents, non-resident hunters (landowner and non landowner). It would be a huge negative impact on the Iowa deer heard and quality... for all of us. There has to be some policing of the deer heard and the rules are there to manage the heard, if they open the door to allow more opportunities for more hunters... that is going to change the good thing Iowa has going.

Last edited:
Top Bottom