Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hf 327 & sf219

sorry L2H, I tried to multi quote you and it bunched it all together. Didn't mean to bastardize your post!
You have made some good points and your imput has been thought thru.Alot of issues were covered .Some of the conditions you touch on did put the nr's and nrlo's together but like I said you covered a broad area.One thing that always puzzles me is why if the tag numbers stay the same and if nrlo's got drawn first and what ever was left over went to a nr draw how would that affect deer numbers. Land isgoing to change hands regardless of deer regulations.I question how many investors really even care about deer hunting. The day will not come when every one agrees !

If you ONLY used that logic & idea (I get where you're coming from)- all NR tags would go to NRLO's. Within 6 months you'd have a FLOOD of NR's buying land here and there'd be 3 times as many NRLO's as there is tags available and that would permanently eliminate any regular NR coming here to hunt that didn't have land. Unless you upped the quantity of tags to amount NRLO's wanted + 10,000 more or whatever the regular allotted amount is. I get your logic BUT if you work through it, it wouldn't solve anything & we'd have a whole new mess of problems.

Dedgeez....
th_horse.gif

My wife was born and raised in C.R. We have a lot of family in Iowa. We both love Iowa and have bought a 60 acre farm there. We plan to move there in the future.

We knew the DNR rules when we bought the land. I will bowhunt when I draw a buck tag. I will doe hunt when I don't draw. I will work to improve our ground and hopefully this will improve hunting not only on our place but surrounding farms.

My wife was born and raised in C.R. We have a lot of family in Iowa. We both love Iowa and have bought a 60 acre farm there. We plan to move there in the future.

We knew the DNR rules when we bought the land. I will bowhunt when I draw a buck tag. I will doe hunt when I don't draw. I will work to improve our ground and hopefully this will improve hunting not only on our place but surrounding farms.

Amen :way:

:way: Most well written thing I have read yet. Wish more people had your attitude (resident or NR).

by CedarCreek "And don't forget Iowa won't stop you from hunting those slick heads on Sunday. Now i suppose you're against donating meat to the needy."

Absolutely not! I'll stack em up for the needy, hunting my own farm, if guys like you stop preventing NRLO's from hunting property they paid for.
user_online.gif

Iowa

Arrowsmith: I might have the same attitude as you, but I do not feel that it is appropriate/fair/common sense or whatever, that a local resident landowner can shoot (9) bucks by the time you draw one buck tag. Three buck limit x 3 years=9.

Either way congrats on your purchase!.

by CedarCreek "And don't forget Iowa won't stop you from hunting those slick heads on Sunday. Now i suppose you're against donating meat to the needy."

Absolutely not! I'll stack em up for the needy, hunting my own farm, if guys like you stop preventing NRLO's from hunting property they paid for.
user_online.gif
This has been discussed many times on here. You can hunt your land in Iowa as a nrlo every year. Even on Sundays. That's more than you can do in Pennsylvania! Quit your crying, or wait for your inevitable change in hunting regulations in Iowa. Until then why don't you tell us about how great the deer hunting is in your home state.

Arrowsmith: I might have the same attitude as you, but I do not feel that it is appropriate/fair/common sense or whatever, that a local resident landowner can shoot (9) bucks by the time you draw one buck tag. Three buck limit x 3 years=9.

Either way congrats on your purchase!.
Move to Iowa then. It's that simple. Oh how i wish i was making a New York City salary, and small town Iowa expenses.

I think it also has been discussed many many times in here, most landownders if ANY shoot 3 bucks. Most guys are herd management, and shoot does too. So again, just because people can, doesnt mean they will. So you are stating a mute point IMO

3 bucks in one year

I think it also has been discussed many many times in here, most landownders if ANY shoot 3 bucks. Most guys are herd management, and shoot does too. So again, just because people can, doesnt mean they will. So you are stating a mute point IMO

Serious, you are defending a (3) buck limit...and I have seen pictures web sites of guys with three bucks in one year, and describing how they shot each one in Iowa.

Cedar Creek

Move to Iowa then. It's that simple. Oh how i wish i was making a New York City salary, and small town Iowa expenses.

You are OK with the (3) buck limit? I thought you were concerned about the overall deer herd.

Check out the article in North American Whitetail, it ranks Iowa as a deer herd on the decrease due to; 2/3 buck limits, party hunting, late rifle doe season, high number of poaching cases.

Serious, you are defending a (3) buck limit...and I have seen pictures web sites of guys with three bucks in one year, and describing how they shot each one in Iowa.

I think a more accurate interpretation of what Flugge was saying is that the 3 buck limit is not really a factor in managing our Iowa herd, as he personally knows very few people that actually do take 3 bucks, even though they could.

I probably know 20+ landowners who could take 3 bucks per year and I can only think of 3 or 4 that have even taken 2 in a year, the great majority taking 1 or none actually. No one that I can think of right off, or know personally, has taken 3 in a year than I can remember.

So, while it is a possibility that a resident LO could do it, take 3 bucks in a year, it practically speaking is not happening often enough to make any difference to anything so why throw it out there as an argument for or against anything.

Each year that goes by, the more NR's telling us how to manage our deer and licenses just warms my little heart.

Iowa

I think a more accurate interpretation of what Flugge was saying is that the 3 buck limit is not really a factor in managing our Iowa herd, as he personally knows very few people that actually do take 3 bucks, even though they could.

I probably know 20+ landowners who could take 3 bucks per year and I can only think of 3 or 4 that have even taken 2 in a year, the great majority taking 1 or none actually. No one that I can think of right off, or know personally, has taken 3 in a year than I can remember.

So, while it is a possibility that a resident LO could do it, take 3 bucks in a year, it practically speaking is not happening often enough to make any difference to anything so why throw it out there as an argument for or against anything.

I see what you are saying, but if no one does it, then get rid of it. The writer from North American Whitetail seems to think it is a big problem, he has mentioned it twice in his articles and he is a well know writer/hunter.

If you ONLY used that logic & idea (I get where you're coming from)- all NR tags would go to NRLO's. Within 6 months you'd have a FLOOD of NR's buying land here and there'd be 3 times as many NRLO's as there is tags available and that would permanently eliminate any regular NR coming here to hunt that didn't have land. Unless you upped the quantity of tags to amount NRLO's wanted + 10,000 more or whatever the regular allotted amount is. I get your logic BUT if you work through it, it wouldn't solve anything & we'd have a whole new mess of problems.
That makes sense to me but it does put nrlo's on an equal playing field with each other.I think most nrlo's could accept they didnt get a tag this year because another nrlo got one would and not raise near the controversy as a nr.Nrlo's obviously dont contribute on a daily as a resident but we certainly do more than a nr.The land sales sky rocketing I'm not totally convinced of. It's hard for to believe there that many people setting on these fairly large sums of money waiting to invest because of deer regs.

I see what you are saying, but if no one does it, then get rid of it. The writer from North American Whitetail seems to think it is a big problem, he has mentioned it twice in his articles and he is a well know writer/hunter.

The 3 buck law could go away for all I'm concerned... and I'm guessing many of the folks on here as well. But right now, the DNR is struggling to cut tags. Gov. Branstand just said no to the DNR cutting the # of does tags in some counties. The 3 buck rule is there, but seldom used.

The DNR also tried to cut the late doe season back a bit but that also cut thrown out this year... Thank you Governor.

I totally see how this ruffles your feathers having Iowa resident landowners getting 3 bucks tags and you getting a chance at one. But those are the rules. The rules are working, if the DNR wanted to change anything it'd be best to cut the 3 buck tags for resident landowners and/or # of doe tags and/or late doe season. The odds of any of those happening now... don't look good without some effort from the people

Top Bottom