Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Movement Update...

Heading out this evening for a quick hunt. Hopefully movement is a little better than what it has been.

There were deer moving everywhere tonight...saw a couple bigger ones on the prowl with no mate...that's usually a good thing!!!

iatreehugger said:
There were deer moving everywhere tonight...saw a couple bigger ones on the prowl with no mate...that's usually a good thing!!!

Same here with the bigger bucks cruising, I think they ditched their last girls and are searching for some more fun.

I didn't go out yesterday morning because I had to come out of the stand at 8, and then from 6:30-7:30 sat inside and watched deer move all over. Today was the same scenerio, except today I figured why no go ahead and enjoy a couple hours of watching Iowa come to life even if I did have to beat it to work after that. If you still have your tag...I saw more deer moving today than I have seen in a long time...there was some heavy cruising going on and a big boy with a doe running everything off which means we aren't to full post rut yet. If you get a chance, get out there and enjoy it!!!

Saw my best buck movement this morn! Bucks were cruising early but the wind pushed them to there beds. Finally saw my target buck for the year, 70 yds, atleast i know he is in the area.

very slow in the stand today no movement on the way in none setting and none on the way out didnt see anything...nut it was a good morning i was in a treestand...nothing better...anybody else haveing the same problem...:way:

Drove down to Martensdale this morning right at sun up. Saw a lot of deer in the fields including two shooter bucks with does. One of them had a doe pinned right in the west ditch of I-35.

I saw two does around 10 am that is it! slow slow day. I hunted thursday and friday morning til noon and had a bunch of deer moving. I was going solo that morning and I also video tape my hunts so I had to run the camera and hunt at the same time. It was getting really windy and deer settled down and I wanted to move up into the camera stand real quick because I was better concealed up in there. It was about a 3-5 minute move to get the camera arm moved for my top camera man stand. I had a shooter buck cruise up the damn creek in the middle of moving into the camera stand. seriously? what are the odds of that crap happening. Well he wasn't anything huge but the season is winding down and need to get one killed. He was in the 140's and would have looked awesome on film! Hopefully that is just a blessing in disguise and I smoke the big boy that I have seen twice while in stand in that same location!

i had the same slow action this morning which was dissapointing, i was down in a hole out of the wind in a pop up blind, i figured after yesterdays wind i would have had to set it back up this morning but it was still standing. only saw 1 doe and a 110" 8pt. really hoping this cold front gets them moving in the morning. i hunt in the earlham area.

They moved really good this week until today, with this cold front they should be moving well tomorrow. Ive good luck after the temp drops down into the upper 20's into the lower 30's, so tomorrow looks really good!

hunted on the edge of a 16 acre timber patch which is next to a corn field, a bean field and an alfalfa field for 3 hours this evening and did not see a single deer. crossing my fingers and hoping it is a good morning tomorrow.

This is the first time I have had this happen since the rut started in early Nov., but had a lot of does and fawns come out to the corn field without a care in the world. They weren't nervous or goofy, and there wasn't a single buck dogging them in the field. I did see three dinks check out the bedding area around 3:30, but compared to Thurs. and Fri....it was like someone shut the heat lamps off!!!

This is the first time I have had this happen since the rut started in early Nov., but had a lot of does and fawns come out to the corn field without a care in the world. They weren't nervous or goofy, and there wasn't a single buck dogging them in the field. I did see three dinks check out the bedding area around 3:30, but compared to Thurs. and Fri....it was like someone shut the heat lamps off!!!

Maybe not enough bucks around? I dont just a guess but i have had this happened to, but i figured it was just because there was to many does in the area.

Bear...I'm not sure how to call it. There are a lot of does taken around here, and the bucks are managed pretty intensely for a couple miles both directions. But like everyone knows...one hot doe a half mile from where you are hunting this time of year and it can look like an all girls boarding school for a couple of days.
I saw this very distinct buck hot footing a doe on Wed. evening, then I saw him Thurs. evening giving hot chase with her running about a half mile, and the next time I saw him he was single and a bigger buck had an exclusive with him just kind of watching like a 9th grader at a dance right after the senior hot shot asked if his date would like to dance!

Had 2 little 6 pointers and a spike come in together and bed down 30 yds. from me. About 45 mins later, a 14yr. old kid hunting "wabbits." Needless to say, heading out again tomorrow morning with tag in pocket...

Saw decent deer movement today in NE Davis County. Tonight I saw a nice 10 pt shadowing a doe about 3:00P, but while they did a few trots back and forth, it never got to crazy chasing. I suspect the warm temps suppressed their running around. :grin:

I saw three other smaller bucks on their feet cruising this afternoon, with one coming in to about 12 yards, a nice 2-1/2 that has a nice body size and a good frame, so hopefully he dodges the bullets for the next couple of years, he could be a real nice one. Another 2-1/2 8 pt came up to about 40 yards before the fluky wind gave me away.

My son was about 300 yards away and saw probably a dozen deer and could have shot a small buck or a couple/few different does, but saw no shooters. This morning he could have shot a couple of does and had a nice buck cruise through early but couldn't get him to stop. I suspect it was the nice 10 I saw tonight.

I think tomorrow AM should be good as the temps were clearly dropping this evening as the NW wind started to blow finally.

I sat all day yesterday in western Iowa. It was one of the best hunts I have ever been on without seeing very many deer. Before it was even light a deer went by about 90 yards out in the corn, to dark to see what it was. Then at 930 a little four point went by at 15 yards, then at 1100 a 130 8pt went by at 50 yards, out of my range and would of got the pass anyways. Then at 1230 I had some amazing chasing. I huge typical that I would guess to be 170-180 chased a doe across the cornfield into the edge of the woods by me about 35 yards down but there was to much brush. He chased her around just out of range then the doe came into 10 yards in front of me, I couldn't belive it. Then the buck tried to circle around to force her back the other way, so he went behind me...and caught my wind. He stood there at about 35 yards behind some brush for a couple minutes and my scent got the best of him. This buck looks like it could be Dedgeez's bucks twin in the harvest forum execpt wider. Then a 140's 10 point came across the cornfield at the doe, still 10 yards from me, grunting and nose to the ground. He chased her all over but would not stop for nothing. A couple minutes later they were gone. I didn't see another deer until just before dark, a doe out in the field. So not a ton of deer but an outstanding hunt. If a hot doe is around be ready. Besides that it was a miserable day weatherwise to be in the stand.

Central iowa - sat all morning on public. Rattled in a spike. Went to change cam cards on private and seen about 20 and as I was leaving seen a big 10 chasing a doe in a picked bean field right next to where my cams are. The chase was goin on at 1:30..

I checked a few traps this morning with my son and bumped a doe with a buck in a set aside field. They were a longggg ways from any tree lines or anything like that...just tucked in out of the wind, but they were still very much together. Like everyone says it looks like the rut is still swinging pretty good...just gotta have a hot doe!

Top Bottom