Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Movement Update...

I guess I should be more exact in my question. I am planning on doing a lot of quick two hour hunts the next three days including Thanksgiving. I have a few hours everyday before work and before the visit to the in-laws this week. I have spent a ton of time sitting and not seeing much lately. I did put up a few new stands up Sunday during my 13 hour trip to the farm. I also have a couple Barronet blinds and can move quickly if need be, but I am just just not seeimg much movement. Had five does come in last night and not a buck to be seen coming in behind. I am getting frustrated. What is everyone else seeing and hearing from others?

I seen 2 yearlings and a 1.5 yr old buck all by 9 oclock on sunday and that was it. Sat until noon went home for a bit then went back out and seen nothing!! This is how the last 2 weeks have been for me....

Seeing few does and button bucks in clover plot feeding in am did see one shooter saturday morning in timber no response to calls. Very slow in evening. But I can't get one from the couch.

I guess I should be more exact in my question. I am planning on doing a lot of quick two hour hunts the next three days including Thanksgiving. I have a few hours everyday before work and before the visit to the in-laws this week. I have spent a ton of time sitting and not seeing much lately. I did put up a few new stands up Sunday during my 13 hour trip to the farm. I also have a couple Barronet blinds and can move quickly if need be, but I am just just not seeimg much movement. Had five does come in last night and not a buck to be seen coming in behind. I am getting frustrated. What is everyone else seeing and hearing from others?

Concentrate on food sources right now. I scouted last night and saw quite a few deer and 3 good bucks. All of them were in cut corn and the bucks were feeding hard. The best buck was a mid 60's 10 and he was feeding hard and not even looking at the 6 does that were in the field with him. I'm sure that changed when he was done eating, but I would concentrate my efforts now on does. The big boys will be where the does are now and will be concentrating their efforts on finding the last late estrous does as well as replenishing their fat supply. Midday may be a great time to find a cruising buck now as well. If I was still hunting I would be hunting funnels between bedding areas from daylight until 1-2pm and than moving to food sources for the evening sit. Good luck

Sat. am - four bucks looking, no does.

Sun. pm - two bucks looking no does.

Mon am - numerous does with fawns and only one small buck cruising.

I have seen more deer movement on my last two sits ... Friday evening, and last evening than I have in weeks. I had a mature 150s run the does out of the bedding area last evening around 4 and then walked circles at 40 yds around a younger buck that came in, then he stood and watched three trails as does came through right up until dark.

Concentrate on food sources right now. I scouted last night and saw quite a few deer and 3 good bucks. All of them were in cut corn and the bucks were feeding hard. The best buck was a mid 60's 10 and he was feeding hard and not even looking at the 6 does that were in the field with him. I'm sure that changed when he was done eating, but I would concentrate my efforts now on does. The big boys will be where the does are now and will be concentrating their efforts on finding the last late estrous does as well as replenishing their fat supply. Midday may be a great time to find a cruising buck now as well. If I was still hunting I would be hunting funnels between bedding areas from daylight until 1-2pm and than moving to food sources for the evening sit. Good luck

I have a cut cornfield on the south side and cut beans to the east and west. I sat a new stand in a tree at the end of the timber which extends into switchgrass and then to the corn. The rest of me sets are primarily in the creekline that runs right through the center of the property. Boths side are sloping hills covered in all 80ft evergreens with the occasional waterway sloping towards the creek. This is a new property to me and I have had a difficult time patterning the deer.

I have a cut cornfield on the south side and cut beans to the east and west. I sat a new stand in a tree at the end of the timber which extends into switchgrass and then to the corn. The rest of me sets are primarily in the creekline that runs right through the center of the property. Boths side are sloping hills covered in all 80ft evergreens with the occasional waterway sloping towards the creek. This is a new property to me and I have had a difficult time patterning the deer.

Benches on the hillsides will be productive if the deer are cruising from N to S or vice versa. I'm trying to lay this out in my mind, but I would also think that any fingers coming out of the main woods going to the CC may be a good transition area as well. Creeks always seem to be good travel routes, so if there are any crossings from ridge to ridge N of the corn field that could be a good spot to cover as well. Sounds like the bucks will be able to scent check any of the fields with a S, SE, or SW wind so play that accordingly and use it to your advantage. Hard to be spot on without seeing the farm, but it sounds like you have all of the ingredients for success.

Midday movement has been excellent, but I would guess that might begin to taper off by next week

You are exactly right. Follow this advice if you still have a tag. The big boys are putting on the weight for winter and then checking.

I did this on Sunday and smacked one at 2 in the afternoon moving from my funnel to my field edge food source.

I know I keep bringing up my misery this season, but I one more thought that would like to get some feedback on. This new property that I am trying to figure has a small 20 acre food plot of standing corn on it which is surrounded on two sides by thick evergreens and switchgrass and a beanfield on the other sides. There is still corn on the stalk, but I have seen very little activity. I have been considering sitting by theren but not sure if I should leave it alone until December(if I need to). I did check it out when it snowed a couple weeks ago and there was sign everywhere, but I never see deer around it coming in or exiting the property. Have any of you had much luck around standing corn this time of year or should I stick to the open fields?

I know I keep bringing up my misery this season, but I one more thought that would like to get some feedback on. This new property that I am trying to figure has a small 20 acre food plot of standing corn on it which is surrounded on two sides by thick evergreens and switchgrass and a beanfield on the other sides. There is still corn on the stalk, but I have seen very little activity. I have been considering sitting by theren but not sure if I should leave it alone until December(if I need to). I did check it out when it snowed a couple weeks ago and there was sign everywhere, but I never see deer around it coming in or exiting the property. Have any of you had much luck around standing corn this time of year or should I stick to the open fields?

I'm no pro, but I would stick to the food sources at night like the guys have said.

Alright...so I have analyzed what things have gone wrong and now its time to get the job done. Anybody seeing better deer movement as of tonight? I am hitting the next couple mornings and curious to see if movement has picked up any. It seemed mid-week last week it picked up but they almost seemed to go into lockdown again. I have in the past seen it pick up around Thanksgiving, so I am looking forward to getting out. What's been going on?

Well I couldnt go out tonight but decided to drive by my spot about an hour before dark and what do I see. A freaking monarch of a 10 pt with a bunch of stickers on his G2s and his browtines. He stood locked up right next to the road with two does for a good five minutes. Big tall wide dark rack that easily would have broke the 170 mark. Ill be back in the stand by 0600 tomorrow!

This applies to movement....I went to hunt my funnel heading to a cut cornfield last night and the landowner had decided to disc the field. My past experience has been once the field is turned, the deer lose interest. I have bean stubble on the east and west sides of the property and a small standing corn plot. I think I am going to move to the fenceline where evergreens meet the beanfield. Anybody with a similar experience? I have never moved stands as much as I have this year!

Last edited:
I could only sit until 9, but thought that is better than nothing. I sat between two bedding areas and had a group of 9 (does with female fawns) get bounced back and forth four different times, but never did see the buck that was bumping them....I know, I know...he's moving mid morning like right now, but had to get to the office and get some things done, so comp time for this morning was over. The clear skies and high pressure front hasn't showed yet. I like what warming thermals and high pressure fronts do with my scent a whole lot better than this damp heavy stuff...but didn't get busted once even though it was all going on within 20 yds of me, so hopefully will get back there soon! Anyone seen any big boys in the last day or so...and if so, what were they up to?!

This applies to movement....I went to hunt my funnel heading to a cut cornfield last night and the landowner had decided to disc the field. My past experience has been once the field is turned, the deer lose interest. I have bean stubble on the east and west sides of the property and a small standing corn plot. I think I am going to move to the fenceline where evergreens meet the beanfield. Anybody with a similar experience? I have never moved stands as much as I have this year!

I see the same. Tons of deer in a picked corn field until its turned. Worse if they load it with manure which is no surprise.

Top Bottom