Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

deer hunting Saskatchewan Canada

SCOFFIN

Miles Coffin
Ok, so after reading a few of Sasguy's threads here lately and watching a couple hunting shows in Saskatchewan, I'm wanting info on how to actually go up there an hunt. While I'd really like to avoid using an Outfitter or a Guide, I realize that maybe that would be a good idea for a first trip, then once I have it all figured out, try and do something on my own.

Basically I'm just looking for some advice on how I should go about looking at Outfitters or doing a self-guided hunt up there..

Ok, so after reading a few of Sasguy's threads here lately and watching a couple hunting shows in Saskatchewan, I'm wanting info on how to actually go up there an hunt. While I'd really like to avoid using an Outfitter or a Guide, I realize that maybe that would be a good idea for a first trip, then once I have it all figured out, try and do something on my own.

Basically I'm just looking for some advice on how I should go about looking at Outfitters or doing a self-guided hunt up there..

Did some waterfowl hunting up there this past fall ( hopefully it turns into a yearly trip), was around the Yorkton area and let me tell you some gorgeous property up there. We saw alot of wildlife including some stupid big deer. My buddies dad had taken several nice one for even Iowa standards that didn't quiet meet the "full mount" requirement of 170+. I was curious to know what licences would cost and he stated unless you find an outfitter, us Americans are off limits up there. Apparently they are trying to change that rule for waterfowl hunting as well with so many American outfitters that come up here and run guide services on tresspassed property. May not see another house for 5 miles up there so i can see were it could be a problem. Def be a dream hunt, looked at some prices for some guides up north and the prices are pretty steep :(

Guide

I have a good friend up there that is a guide give him a call tell him Chuck Paddock sent you he kills big whitetails. Brad 1-306-835-7337 this is his cell.

You need to hunt with a registered outfitter, it is pretty much that simple. I know of a couple good operations, you can easily research others online.

I wouldn't replace hunting in Iowa with this idea, this would be in addition to hunting Iowa.

Well you can not self guide there, you must hire an outfitter to take you out. That's the law there. Things to look for are as follows.
1. Great Guide, not just after your money
2. Warm / clean sleeping arrangements
3. Good food
4. Enclosed stands.... too windy and cold
5. GREAT DEER... A must!

I have been going to SK for 9 years now and can only say great things about Norseman Outfitters ca. com. They have been in business for 20+ years. They promote a high quality experience. You will see a lot of high quality bucks in the 140;s and higher. With a 198 taken by a friend of mine. To encourage shooting large bucks the hunt is $4000 (2014 prices) If you do not kill a buck then your hunt is $3000. The full price is to encourage the guide to put you on a GREAT deer and it encourages the hunter to wait for that GREAT deer. Most guides charge the same amount for the hunt and at the end of the week if the hunter has not killed there buck then they will shoot a smaller buck, but because they have to pay the full price. Not good for quality bucks. With Norseman Outfitters ca.com you will only pay full price if you kill your Great deer. If you have any questions please email me at srtmedic45@yahoo.com

Scoffin--My family has land near Rainy River Ontario. So I am familiar with the area. Some positives #1---shorter drive from Iowa #2--Big bucks-giant bodies. #3--You can find areas north of Rainy River that a guide is not required, or you can arrange with an outfitter at a fairly reasonable price.

Negative--It may not compare with Sask?

Nice area and traditionally some very nice bucks. Something to think about.
Also tags are cheap

Last edited:
Why would want to huntcanada instead of iowa!!??!!?

why wouldn't you?? It wouldn't just be about antlers- it would be about the AMAZING scenery and experience VS the norm in iowa. We are certainly spoiled with deer in Iowa but I think it would be an amazing experience to just hunt/ fish in that area at least once in a lifetime

Scoffin, I always love watching the shows when they're hunting up there. Shooting a big buck up there would be just as fun as one here in Iowa. Good addition and Good luck! Keep us posted!

Scoffin--My family has land near Rainy River Ontario. So I am familiar with the area. Some positives #1---shorter drive from Iowa #2--Big bucks-giant bodies. #3--You can find areas north of Rainy River that a guide is not required, or you can arrange with an outfitter at a fairly reasonable price. Negative--It may not compare with Sask? Nice area and traditionally some very nice bucks. Something to think about. Also tags are cheap

Allot of truth in that statement. Sounds like the last few winters devastated the herd though.

Hunted Sask in 2011. Being from Ontario we did not have to use an outfitter. We new some guys that owned a quarter section where I took a good buck right near Yorkton. My good buddy took his buck near Turtle Lake two days later as we visited other friends on crown land they hunt. Unreal place to hunt, seen over 40 deer the 4 days we hunted. However the recent winters have been hard on there deer. Both friends of ours arnt seeing the mature age class bucks there use to. Both will prolly hang there tags on the Christmas tree this yr.

Well you can not self guide there, you must hire an outfitter to take you out. That's the law there. Things to look for are as follows.
1. Great Guide, not just after your money
2. Warm / clean sleeping arrangements
3. Good food
4. Enclosed stands.... too windy and cold
5. GREAT DEER... A must!

I have been going to SK for 9 years now and can only say great things about Norseman Outfitters ca. com. They have been in business for 20+ years. They promote a high quality experience. You will see a lot of high quality bucks in the 140;s and higher. With a 198 taken by a friend of mine. To encourage shooting large bucks the hunt is $4000 (2014 prices) If you do not kill a buck then your hunt is $3000. The full price is to encourage the guide to put you on a GREAT deer and it encourages the hunter to wait for that GREAT deer. Most guides charge the same amount for the hunt and at the end of the week if the hunter has not killed there buck then they will shoot a smaller buck, but because they have to pay the full price. Not good for quality bucks. With Norseman Outfitters ca.com you will only pay full price if you kill your Great deer. If you have any questions please email me at srtmedic45@yahoo.com

Holy thread revival, Batman. I still haven't made it up there but it's on the list of things to do.

why wouldn't you?? It wouldn't just be about antlers- it would be about the AMAZING scenery and experience VS the norm in iowa. We are certainly spoiled with deer in Iowa but I think it would be an amazing experience to just hunt/ fish in that area at least once in a lifetime

Bingo!! I went to Manitoba in "96" bear hunting! We drove up! We were 450 miles north of Winnepeg! The adventure was worth it!! I did not get a bear! 150 miles to the nearest town, bear and caribou along the highway!! For a Iowa boy it was amazing!! Having a bear come in the first night was worth the price of the trip! Enjoy the experience!!

Top Bottom