Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Starting To Fire Up

I was wondering how the deer activity is in everyones hunting areas? Ive had some people from home saying they have seen nice bucks chasing but only early morning and late evening. I havent personally seen it yet but Im hoping that this weekend it will get even more active with this cold front coming in. Me and the old man are going out this weekend and hes going to hit the horns together. Hopefully it works out. He seems to have the touch when it comes to rattling. Never seen anything like it.

Sunday last day of early muzzy season had a nice 140ish come through, hot on a doe like it was the first week in Nov. Oct. 23 started seeing yearlings kicked off by themselves. Get in a tree!

I haven't made it out much. Fired up for the weekend though. A buddy of mine harvested a 150 class buck on Tuesday that was dogging a doe. He was hunting SE of Des Moines. I was shocked by that, especially with the warm temps. A fews guys have told me they are having really good luck rattling.

make noise

make it sound like 2 bucks trying to kill each other, break sticks bang them together, i found if you find a blow down with a lot of limbs and use a large stick and go crazy on it rattle and grunt don't be afraid to create some noise, it will help if you have a buck decoy close but positioned so you can shoot around it because they will come to it and want to fight.:drink2:

Went out tonight and saw 2 shooters prolly 175 /180 class running the does good. The woods are gonna be on fire this weekend.

i saw one 6 point and a larger one in with some does on the food no real chasing from what i saw pretty quite in my woods

Tonight from 5 o'clock until about 5:30, I witnessed one of the longest fights I've ever seen. A 130 class buck just owned a 2.5 yr old for a half hour. The commotion was unreal. This weekend is gonna be good!

Planned on hunting tree line divided by standing corn on one side and three acres of clover on other side surrounded by timber in morning with a decoy but now starting to second guess myself and think I need to hunt in timber on ridge top. Anyone have any thoughts to help with decision ?

went out tonight as well. Wind was awful, seen 5 does and 1 100 inch 8 point. No seeking/chasing going on around here. Perhaps this weekend.

Planned on hunting tree line divided by standing corn on one side and three acres of clover on other side surrounded by timber in morning with a decoy but now starting to second guess myself and think I need to hunt in timber on ridge top. Anyone have any thoughts to help with decision ?

I am afraid you will bump deer in the morning still feeding in the clover. So yes, I would sit more of a travel route or closer to a bedding area and catch them transitioning back to bed.

Then, I would sit the first stand you mentioned in the evening.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Saw a 140 chasing a few does tonight. He also ran off a smaller buck. Action started in the open at 4pm. He milled around with them as they fed on clover until dark, never left them but there wasn't the tenion yet that we'll see in a few more days. It's on the brink of getting good fast and it's already good if you're in the right spot.

11:30 p.m. tonight. Saw two nice bucks chasing a doe across the road in front of car on my way home. Gotta get in the stand in the A.M. !!

On my way to work this morning about 5:30, saw a nice 160 class 10 point standing in the ditch along the road, a doe was bedded down about 8 feet behind him. Slowed almost to a stop to get a good look at him and they didn't pay me any attention.

busting out of work early today to hunt the evening. Saw 2 decent bucks last night, some minor bumping of does but nothing all out yet.

bumped a few on the way to the stand this am - nothing too eventful though once I got to the tree. in the stand from 7 AM to 11:30 AM.

Coworker's son in law shot a real nice buck this morning, and then a friend of mine shot a real nice one as well about a half hour later. Ugh... I can't focus at work any more today!!!!!!!

Top Bottom