Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Don Kisky

joed

I just spent the last hour talking to Don about whitetails. Good guy and should have a good show this year. Showed me a couple of pics of this year sheds.

My brother went to school with a kid who was trapping road ditches down by some if kiskys farms. Got reamed in two by them accusing him of stealing treestands. Typical deer farmer being a a--hole!!! Later came and apologized to the kid u can just tell how he really is from the stupid TV shows

My brother went to school with a kid who was trapping road ditches down by some if kiskys farms. Got reamed in two by them accusing him of stealing treestands. Typical deer farmer being a a--hole!!! Later came and apologized to the kid u can just tell how he really is from the stupid TV shows

So he came and apologized, you've never made a mistake in your life? :rolleyes:

I've always wondered how many of their "Hitlist" Bucks get killed by lucky hunters that border their farms.

The whole "hit list" concept just annoys the daylights out of me. Maybe I'm in the wrong, but it seems like it adds to the concept of commercializing an activity that was supposed to be just a fun day afield. I prefer just to jump up in a stand and see what happens...if a deer wanders by that I want to shoot, so be it. If I've never seen him/her before while scouting or on a trailcam pic, so much the better. Like I said...I'm probably just being an old poop :confused:

NWBuck

I've heard rumors of lakowskis walking border ground trying to drive the deer onto theirs and then huntin em

I've heard rumors of lakowskis walking border ground trying to drive the deer onto theirs and then huntin em

That's nice. If you have actual fact about that then take it to the co. Until then, stop spreading those rumors.

I can't imagine that someone who hunts for their living would risk getting in big trouble by doing it illegally.

As for the original post, I'd love to sit down with one of the people who hints for a living. Their knowledge has to be incredible!

That's nice. If you have actual fact about that then take it to the co. Until then, stop spreading those rumors.

I can't imagine that someone who hunts for their living would risk getting in big trouble by doing it illegally.

As for the original post, I'd love to sit down with one of the people who hints for a living. Their knowledge has to be incredible!

Watch what ya say look at ol spook spann!!!

Don and Kandi could of not been nicer. I ran into them at the airport and they gave me an hour of their time to talk whitetail. There is no doubt these guys have pressure to kill big der on film every year. I have been getting burned out on whitetail shows but now with some insider info I can not wait to watch next season.

an activity that was supposed to be just a fun day afield. I prefer just to jump up in a stand and see what happens...if a deer wanders by that I want to shoot, so be it.

It may be that way to you & great - however you enjoy hunting! BUT- to say others don't enjoy passing a young buck for example (when he's likely not real smart & not mature) to watch him grow older & put him on a "hitlist" when he's biologically mature... I know many folks who love every minute of this and find it as rewarding as anything that you would enjoy. Personally, I feel, the greater the challenge, the greater the reward (in this case of hunting: satisfaction, enjoyment, setting goals & accomplishing them, fulfillment, relaxing, enjoying nature without having to kill everything, etc). And, if there is anyone out there that's "BOTHERED" in anyway by folks passing young bucks, having "hitlist" bucks, managing their land for "mature deer" or simply hunting for mature deer - rest easy.... There's a million times more folks out there that do "shoot whatever" for a variety of reasons I couldn't begin to count. Which- whatever, to each his own BUT the "hardcore guys" possibly described on here are "few in #" and the rare farms they manage- there isn't a one person who would prefer to hunt "regular ground" like public VS being able to hunt a piece bordering "those guys". Actually don't know much about the folks who the thread is titled after BUT if they are in fact managing for mature bucks, biology of herd, ratios, age structure, etc - props to them! And I'll bet they are having a blast at that part & if they are "Burnt out" I'll bet it's from the Video pressure and not the type of hunting they do.

Very well said Sligh. Unless someone's done it they have no idea what kind of pressure and stress is involved with producing a hunt on film. Whether it be deer, turkey, waterfowl, predator or otherwise. Same can be said about being with your salt as a guide and putting people on quality hunts.

Hunting for film can burn a person out in a hurry... and the pressure that gets put on some of the bigger names is not always fun either... I have seen some shady stuff when I filmed for some bigger names, things that made me quit because I didnt believe the way things were done.. So now I hunt for fun, and whatever happens, happens... but I agree, a "hitlist" is only a word to describe something you want to shoot IMO, not necassarily making it gospel, or a bad word...

Sligh is right on with his statement. I couldn't agree more.

Just a general comment here...

I feel like the so-called "trophy hunters" get a lot of bad rap. To each their own, but don't knock the hunter who tries to manage his farm and hold out for the trophy he wants to harvest. It is these type of managers that seem to put the most back into their properties and create booming habitat for wildlife as well.

I hunt for certain deer each year, I guess that makes me a "hitlister".. I am however not afraid to dump a deer that happens along that was not high on my radar,...happened just this yr actually. However, I don't worry about who else is hunting the same properties or nearby ones as anything beyond my own actions is beyond my control and not worth my worry.

The comments regarding pressure and stress of getting a kill on camera have definately got me thinking. Likely because I have agreed to tote a camera around this yr in an attempt to try and get some good footage for a friend who has a show up here in Canada. He's giving me the camera, with no pressure attached and I'll give it a whirl I guess. If the light or angle just isn't right then there'll be no kill footage I guess because I know for sure, if the right deer comes along, I'm going into action,..the right camera situation or not.

Another perspective on the "hitlist" thing (even though I hate that word). Since running trail cams more, I have started to try to target certain bucks and "try" to pass others in an attempt to kill bigger bucks. It's been a journey so far for me with some missteps along the way.

However, one thing I have noticed and been amazed by, how certain mature bucks can show up recurringly on cams but never be seen on the hoof. I have one target buck for which I now have a shed from 2011 and a matched set from 2012, I don't know how many cam images of but I have never and I mean never seen than buck on the hoof. It has raised my respect level for the really mature bucks even more that before.

I have a buddy has to kill everything that walks by and early on I guess I was like that too. But after you kill 25, 30, 35 deer, I don't know for me anyway, I need to raise the bar. I think if you have the circumstances to occasionally target a specific buck, as I do on public land and pull that off, it's very gratifying. And it's probably similar for those who control vast private land, they need to raise the bar so that it remains gratifying. It probably comes off as arrogant or greedy though.

Another perspective on the "hitlist" thing (even though I hate that word). Since running trail cams more, I have started to try to target certain bucks and "try" to pass others in an attempt to kill bigger bucks. It's been a journey so far for me with some missteps along the way.

However, one thing I have noticed and been amazed by, how certain mature bucks can show up recurringly on cams but never be seen on the hoof. I have one target buck for which I now have a shed from 2011 and a matched set from 2012, I don't know how many cam images of but I have never and I mean never seen than buck on the hoof. It has raised my respect level for the really mature bucks even more that before.

Couldn't agree more :way:

Top Bottom