Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Been quiet

Man from what I gather here is that many residents hate nrlo ??? I will tell you this is that some of the best places I know of for deer are owned by nrlo and not even americans. They live in europe and came to the america bought land and created unrivaled giant buck meccas. All the while the resident land owners close by have no respect for their land as they inherited it. They break every law I can imagine and when you tell le they laugh as they are just good ole boys havin fun.

I don't think it's that a lot of people hate nrlos. I think it's just that some residents get sick of them bitching non stop on here year round about how poorly they are treated. I have only been a member on this site a couple years but since I've been here it seems like this has been a non stop argument. I personally have nothing against nrlos I only know one and he just bought small piece with a pond for fishing. He shut it down to locals but there are plenty of other ponds in the area. I will assure nrlos this ruling did nothing but hurt your chances of hunting a buck every year. It just shows how far the government is willing to take it to ensure that non residents don't get that privilege. Nrlos are putting more time in trying to change our rules and regs than trying to make their home state better. I will never get that but I guess it's your time to waste on whatever makes you feel better.

Bowtech, the NRLO's associated with the court ruling complied with residency requirements and it was changed, the NRLO's challenged and lost. In addition, when I first bought land I could hunt a doe every year with my bow, that also changed. I guarantee both of the mentioned regs changed with influence from upset resident hunters. When it changes for the benefit of resident hunters its ok, but the reverse is taboo.

I also guarantee there are many NRLO's who contribute a ton to the Iowa economy and Iowa residents who don't contribute much. I think we all know there are residents who don't work, pay little or no taxes, the money they do spend comes from the government but have hunting privileges as a birth right. Again, given the resident talking points that NRLO's shouldn't have the same privileges based on "contribution" there are many residents who shouldn't have them either.

Last edited:
Like I said previously, Fletch, you don't own squat. And before you go wasting your breath about all the land you manage and own, attach a deed or two. I call BS. You are just another non-landowning loudmouth. All the time you spend on this computer, why don't you get a second job, save some cash and maybe you can afford a place of your own. You could at least lease up some good ground. If you think this Supreme Court ruling is going to change anything, you got another thing coming. They just created a residency road map for anyone to follow.

I own and rent ground. Over 500 acres. But if it makes you feel better about yourself, believe that I dont. I could not care less. I have even allowed several nonresidents to hunt my farms for both deer and turkey for free. I have no ill will towards nonresidents. Only those that feel like they should not have to follow the rules or wish to change the rules in the middle of the game.

The ruling does in fact create a very clear road map for anyone to follow. All they have to do is move their primary residence to Iowa and they will be treated as a resident. Pretty easy stuff to follow. Not sure why the only folks that seem to struggle with it are guys that own ground here but dont live here as residents.

Fletch, you should be a politician you are one of the best spin doctors I've encountered here. Keep spinning, ignore the facts, keep spinning. Eventually you find yourself dizzy and on your hind end.

BTW, I'm not crapping my pants to hunt because according to resident talking points regarding posted NR land all the non-hunting on this resident locked land has created a sanctuary causing herd imbalance, breeding inconsistencies and disease. Something must change!

Give one solid example of where I ignored any facts or put a spin on this. Just one, please.

I directed you straight to all the requirements and you still could not figure them out. Its so easy, you have to live here as your primary residence to be considered a resident. PERIOD. How can that be so darn difficult for you guys to comprehend? I know its not what you want to hear, but thats just the way it is. It must suck so bad to buy ground here because you are sure that the system will change or because you think you can side-step it and then have the door close in front of you.

Beating a dead horse, its over.

I would seriously sell your ground and buy in a state that has over the counter tags so you can hunt it all the time. Why not just buy ground in your own state? They all have deer.

I don't think it's that a lot of people hate nrlos. I think it's just that some residents get sick of them bitching non stop on here year round about how poorly they are treated. I have only been a member on this site a couple years but since I've been here it seems like this has been a non stop argument. I personally have nothing against nrlos I only know one and he just bought small piece with a pond for fishing. He shut it down to locals but there are plenty of other ponds in the area. I will assure nrlos this ruling did nothing but hurt your chances of hunting a buck every year. It just shows how far the government is willing to take it to ensure that non residents don't get that privilege. Nrlos are putting more time in trying to change our rules and regs than trying to make their home state better. I will never get that but I guess it's your time to waste on whatever makes you feel better.

Brilliant, but not what they want to hear. The truth can be a bitter pill.

Here's the part that's interesting. I've been coming to Iowa for over a decade and have met farmers, hunting residents, and non-hunting residents. Overwhelmingly they believe NRLO's should be able to hunt their land every year and believe the current NRLO regs are ridiculous; especially compared to resident regs that permits 3 bucks per year. Keep in mind not one NRLO want 3 bucks per year, only to hunt one and be able to manage the doe population at less than a hundred and some bucks per doe tag.

IMO a small organized group of Iowa hunters have the ear of a influential politician or two who block common sense change. Eventually that hook will leave the legislature and things will change. Our political system is supposed to benefit the majority and in this case, and many others, it does not.

Here's the part that's interesting. I've been coming to Iowa for over a decade and have met farmers, hunting residents, and non-hunting residents. Overwhelmingly they believe NRLO's should be able to hunt their land every year and believe the current NRLO regs are ridiculous; especially compared to resident regs that permits 3 bucks per year. Keep in mind not one NRLO want 3 bucks per year, only to hunt one and be able to manage the doe population at less than a hundred and some bucks per doe tag.

IMO a small organized group of Iowa hunters have the ear of a influential politician or two who block common sense change. Eventually that hook will leave the legislature and things will change. Our political system is supposed to benefit the majority and in this case, and many others, it does not.

Pretty much what I have been hearing from disappointed NRLO's for about 15 years now. It's a pipe dream that has no grassroots support. The legislature will listen to those that can vote for them. I'm sure the original concept of change was started by some guys with deep pockets that have always been able to get what they want with money. But this time, it just never happened. Some of them and their hopefuls will continue to be in denial for a very long time. Kind of like being a CUBS fan. Just wait 'til next year, it will happen! lol

Truthfully, I think the odds are much better for the CUBS.

Last edited:
No grassroots support? Again the spin doctor at work. Every person I mentioned is an Iowa resident and voter. You never read what anyone posts. You spin the comment to your own desired conclusion. I would love to see what would happen if Senator Black would bring NRLO reg change to a vote. Never happens, he kills it.

Last edited:
No grassroots support? Again the spin doctor at work. Every person I mentioned is an Iowa resident and voter. You never read what anyone posts. You spin the comment to your own desired conclusion. I would love to see what would happen if Senator Black would bring NRLO reg change to a vote. Never happens, he kills it.

Because it dies for lack of support. Like I said. No spin there. Just because you dont like to hear the truth does not mean its a spin on reality. The only locals that I know of that think it would be fair to change the rules have something financially to gain. ie: realtors. Or, they hate deer. Thats it. I have lived my entire life in Iowa and deal with the public daily. I think I have a pretty good handle on where residents stand on this issue. Again, the support is not there. If it was, we would not be having this discussion. The only ones that really care are the NRLO's and their want is selfish. Get it, it only benefits them. They have many options on where to own ground.

Some things just arent for sale. Leave it to a state in the midwest to prove it.

I'm done. Those that live here hunt every year. Those that dont can apply for points. Fair enough for Iowans.

Last edited:
Most resident Iowans have no clue what the NR and NRLO regs are. When I discuss the issue with residents they can't believe a NR tag is 600 bucks, can't believe NRLO's have a hard time drawing a tag to hunt their own property and have to pay 100 plus bucks to hunt a doe. I have no idea who you are taking with but most don't even know the regs.

Bills can be killed a hundred ways that have support; especially when you have the vice chair of the NRC in your back pocket. Black is an old time conservationist that has been in the political biz forever. Bills have to be discussed and out of committee by a certain date each year. Pretty simple for the chair to not discuss and not move the bill out of committee regardless of support.

You guys just need to ignore Fletch. It's a common poster who created that profile to hide behind. He's been around for 10 years and has 95 posts that only involve being a complete prick on this single subject! No need to get worked up about some guy who runs his mouth from behind the curtain......

When I first started commenting on this thread I really didn't mind nrlos. But after reading all complaints about the laws in a state you don't live in are "cheating" you, I have decided that I really don't want you here at all. You behave like ungrateful kids who think something is owed to you. On top of that some of you try to cheat the system and the rest of you think that's OK.
In this case the ends do not justify the means. I think some of you may be commiting fraud. Against the state and possibly the feds. It may even be considered theft.
Now that I think about, I'll have to call the attorney general tommorow and see what his office has to say. Stay tuned, I'll let you all know

Last edited:
Most resident Iowans have no clue what the NR and NRLO regs are. When I discuss the issue with residents they can't believe a NR tag is 600 bucks, can't believe NRLO's have a hard time drawing a tag to hunt their own property and have to pay 100 plus bucks to hunt a doe. I have no idea who you are taking with but most don't even know the regs.

Bills can be killed a hundred ways that have support; especially when you have the vice chair of the NRC in your back pocket. Black is an old time conservationist that has been in the political biz forever. Bills have to be discussed and out of committee by a certain date each year. Pretty simple for the chair to not discuss and not move the bill out of committee regardless of support.

True. And he continues to hold office. Must not be ruffling too many feathers.

NRLO's are the only ones to benefit from change. The residents of Iowa gain nothing and in most likelihood, lose. So, why would we want to change it? Because is seems unfair to you? Not a very good reason.

You guys just need to ignore Fletch. It's a common poster who created that profile to hide behind. He's been around for 10 years and has 95 posts that only involve being a complete prick on this single subject! No need to get worked up about some guy who runs his mouth from behind the curtain......

Oh look, another nonresident with hurt feelings. Bummer. So unfair.

I recognize him I think PM me (his old name)

When I first started commenting on this thread I really didn't mind nrlos. But after reading all complaints about the laws in a state you don't live in are "cheating" you, I have decided that I really don't want you here at all. You behave like ungrateful kids who think something is owed to you. On top of that some of you try to cheat the system and the rest of you think that's OK.
In this case the ends do not justify the means. I have come to the conclusion that when I do business on the 4th floor at the Wallace building each month, I'll be sure to make informed comments to the powers that be about how nrlos are paying to pillage Iowa resources. How a portion of them are trying to play us for fools with residency scams and then make inquiries as to how to make it more fool proof if you will about purchasing resident licenses and tags. After all, some of those people are committing fraud. Against the state and possibly the feds. It may even be considered theft.
Now that I think about, I'll have to call the attorney general tommorow and see what his office has to say. Stay tuned, I'll let you all know

Oh snap......the NRLO's are gonna call you a Spin Doctor!

Bravo good man.

I recognize him I think PM me (his old name)

Please PM me too. I cant wait to hear this one! lol

I must be a part of a huge conspiracy to forever ruin the lives of NRLO's! This is precious.

I will admit to lobbying strongly against the change. Successfully, I might add. I have never been afraid to stand up for what is right, and will continue to do so.

Last edited:
In this case the ends do not justify the means. I think some of you may be commiting fraud. Against the state and possibly the feds. It may even be considered theft.

Go for it!! Read your posts and ask yourself if you have been civil or friendly (look in the mirror)

There are many residents and non-residents who get along on this site. This issue is extremely controversial for a good reason. Not be able to deer hunt (archery)on land they own is obviously controversial, especially when residents can shoot 3 bucks on the land they own.

It's strictly an access issue, political (group of hunters) have pushed for this. The residents that I have met in person are not opposed to NRLO tags, the small towns In Southern Iowa do care...they are getting smaller, empty buildings ...there are consequences for this of course.

It is what it is, hard to speculate on the future. NRLO have $$$ on their side, less controversy with lawsuits if a tag is issued, increasing numbers of outside buyers.

Residents gave a strong political group, and votes, and right now 9 to 1 tag ratio (best in the nation)

We will see?

Last edited:
Please PM me too. I cant wait to hear this one! lol

I must be a part of a huge conspiracy to forever ruin the lives of NRLO's! This is precious.

I will admit to lobbying strongly against the change. Successfully, I might add. I have never been afraid to stand up for what is right, and will continue to do so.

Ok I'll ask is this your first 99 posts on this site? You sound like a former contributor!

Iabwhntr, pretty strong comments. I could care less if you don't like NRLO's, but please explain what fraud is being committed against the state and the feds? You may want to ask the Attorney General about the extortion of a natural resource at the expense of NR hunters who pay way too much for a deer tag.

Last edited:
Top Bottom