Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Egyptian Wheat

Hey Paul this is andy from Pennsylvania , I had emailed you a while back with some photos from our SE ohio farm we planted your mixes on this year. But anyhow I broke down and registered on iowawhitetail this morning, being that I read through it numerous times a week for about the past year now. I ordered some more seed from Welters yesterday, Alice white for frost seeding, crimson to plant along with oats over our brassicas and ordered some red top plus forage sorghum to attempt for a plot screen. Welters doesn't carry Egyptian wheat so I figured I would try the red top. My question is on the seeding rate Welters recommends 12 - 15lbs acre but I am assuming I should cut that rate to 8-10lbs to try to accomplish a thicker stalk to prolong the stand into winter. Does any one have some input on the red top sorghum or past experience using this instead of Egyptian wheat? Thanks again for all of the great info by everyone on this site, it has lessened the growing pains of food plotting for me and my dad by years I'm sure.

Thanks for the offer. Welters claims 7-9' tall on the red top so I will try it for this year, any thoughts on the seed rate ?

The best results for me came with a seeding rate of 6 to 8 pounds with EW. I also like a little wider screen, 10 feet if possible. I am sure the sorghum rate is not far off, however, I don't like planting a screen with anything that the deer may end up eating. Just my opinion.

If the area wasn't sprayed prior with Gly , will the Atrazine do enough to keep the grasses from coming back.

If the area wasn't sprayed prior with Gly , will the Atrazine do enough to keep the grasses from coming back.

Absolutely......as long as there are no existing grasses already growing..... and if you use enough Atrazine.

Well my problem is there is already grasses growing there I wanted to till plant and put down atrazine. Thanks

I believe Dbltree has used a mix, including some Gly in with the Atrazine if there are some weeds growing. I'm sure he will clarify.

Just wondering what everybody thinks:
Disked everything up nice, put the urea down, raked everything smooth.
Put seed down and raked smooth again.
No rain until Thursday. Will be urea dissipate or since I raked it in will I be okay?
Should I add more this weekend ?
I also cultipacked and sprayed with the Atrazine.
Thanks Guys.

Just wondering what everybody thinks:
Disked everything up nice, put the urea down, raked everything smooth.
Put seed down and raked smooth again.
No rain until Thursday. Will be urea dissipate or since I raked it in will I be okay?
Should I add more this weekend ?
I also cultipacked and sprayed with the Atrazine.
Thanks Guys.

Been better if you would have disced it in but if none was showing on top it's probably ok. Won't hurt to add more if rain is certain

Been better if you would have disced it in but if none was showing on top it's probably ok. Won't hurt to add more if rain is certain

Not going to beat a dead horse but if I planted it Sunday with no rain. (Missed every chance we had). Should I respray it? If so Atrazine and Clethodim?
I am worried that I will be fighting the weeds.
Thanks for the info.

Not going to beat a dead horse but if I planted it Sunday with no rain. (Missed every chance we had). Should I respray it? If so Atrazine and Clethodim?
I am worried that I will be fighting the weeds.
Thanks for the info.

Have you planted or going to plant? What have you sprayed and when? :confused:

Have you planted or going to plant? What have you sprayed and when? :confused:
Paul,
Did everything per your instructions and planted last Sunday and added 3 lbs. per acre of low growing Milo.
Sprayed with Atrazine just like you instructed after I cultipacked. Just have not had any rain.
I do not want weeds to take over or get a head start.

If atrazine made good soil contact, you will not need more atrazine. rain & time will make it work better. If no milo or EW has come up but there's weeds there- you can hit with round-up. no point in Clethodim as it's just as deadly on EW or milo as round-up would be. If there's little to no weeds OR any milo/EW is up at all - leave it alone. The only reason to spray would be if you have a big massive flush of weeds & they better be bad at that. Beyond that, leave it alone - the EW/Milo will blow past any weeds you will see later. If you don't spray and have bad broadleaf problems, later you could do 2,4-D.

Just stumbled across this site a couple days ago, and spent literally about 8 hours reading all of dbltree's advice. I plan on planting a bunch of buckwheat next week or so then tilling it under in late august and planting a combo of rye, clover, and some oats. Around 3/4 of the plot I am going add a screen of EW. I have the 46-0-0 ordered and the EW but where is a good place to order the amount of simazine I will need? Also, do I add water do it or just spray it on as is? thanks in advance for any and all responses

Just stumbled across this site a couple days ago, and spent literally about 8 hours reading all of dbltree's advice. I plan on planting a bunch of buckwheat next week or so then tilling it under in late august and planting a combo of rye, clover, and some oats. Around 3/4 of the plot I am going add a screen of EW. I have the 46-0-0 ordered and the EW but where is a good place to order the amount of simazine I will need? Also, do I add water do it or just spray it on as is? thanks in advance for any and all responses

Keystone pest solutions

They carry a full line of herbicides ;)

If atrazine made good soil contact, you will not need more atrazine. rain & time will make it work better. If no milo or EW has come up but there's weeds there- you can hit with round-up. no point in Clethodim as it's just as deadly on EW or milo as round-up would be. If there's little to no weeds OR any milo/EW is up at all - leave it alone. The only reason to spray would be if you have a big massive flush of weeds & they better be bad at that. Beyond that, leave it alone - the EW/Milo will blow past any weeds you will see later. If you don't spray and have bad broadleaf problems, later you could do 2,4-D.

Skip,
Thanks for the info.
The way it sounds I will probably just add some more Urea tomorrow with the rain chances the next week everyday.
I went 3 lbs. per acre for the milo. Is that enough? Did not seem like much at all.

Skip,
Thanks for the info.
The way it sounds I will probably just add some more Urea tomorrow with the rain chances the next week everyday.
I went 3 lbs. per acre for the milo. Is that enough? Did not seem like much at all.

We use 100# urea per acre, where did you come up with 3 ? :confused:

Top Bottom