Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Slipknot

JNRBRONC

Lost one cat when the knot on the swivel slipped. :mad:;)

Was still able to land these as the sun set today.

Tossed these gills back as breeders.

Nice catch JNR! But I must inform you that you still only get second place on the cool fishing thread of the weekend. Saskguy has you beat with his annual pike slaying! :D

Nice catch JNR! But I must inform you that you still only get second place on the cool fishing thread of the weekend. Saskguy has you beat with his annual pike slaying! :D

Tough to compete with Kaare...... :(

I caught a couple more cats yesterday afternoon, but the bar has been set pretty high on here lately. :D

Last edited:
Tough to compete with Kaare...... :(

I caught a couple more cats yesterday afternoon, but the bar has been set pretty high on here lately. :D

You seem to always catch plenty of cats. How big is the pond that you fish? Do you have to stock it to maintain that level of fishing? I am under the impression that cats do not reproduce well in ponds.

You seem to always catch plenty of cats. How big is the pond that you fish? Do you have to stock it to maintain that level of fishing? I am under the impression that cats do not reproduce well in ponds.

Well Daver, like you I was under the impression that cats won't reproduce in a pond. I stocked the newly constructed 3 acre pond with 6 cats and forgot about them. A couple of years later, I started catching them on lures and jigs I was throwing for bass and bluegills. 300 have been taken out in the last three years. They are up in the shallows getting ready to spawn right now, so it's time to remove them before they do spawn.

Only thing I can figure is that there is a side hill seep that keeps a little trickle of water going in and that might be the reason they can successfully spawn. Wish my bluegills reproduced as well; part hybrid issue, part cat/bass pressure on the young un's.

Well Daver, like you I was under the impression that cats won't reproduce in a pond. I stocked the newly constructed 3 acre pond with 6 cats and forgot about them. A couple of years later, I started catching them on lures and jigs I was throwing for bass and bluegills. 300 have been taken out in the last three years. They are up in the shallows getting ready to spawn right now, so it's time to remove them before they do spawn.

Only thing I can figure is that there is a side hill seep that keeps a little trickle of water going in and that might be the reason they can successfully spawn. Wish my bluegills reproduced as well; part hybrid issue, part cat/bass pressure on the young un's.

Aha, interesting. I too would be curious if the seep contributes to the spawn success. Great fishing anyway!

I grew up fishing farm ponds for catfish and bass and took my fair share from most of them. None of them were stocked after the initial effort, yet there was no shortage of catfish, including several from smaller size classes. I think they reproduce in those ponds better than people think they do. Either way, I miss that kind of fishing!

After work tonight

I lost one at the bank, hook pulled out before I could get a hand on it. Had another one run out almost all my line, thought I had it turned, then the line broke. That was a good one. Still biting good on Sonny's blood dip bait that I found at Scheel's today. Time to filet fish.

Man them are some baby Large Mouth. No size limit there?

Caught these on the Big Sioux here in Sioux City.
_original.jpg

Top Bottom