Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cull Buck, thoughts?

skyleralan

PMA Member
Last year, to this year.

This year. Looks like one that needs to be taken out. Photos taken on complete opposite sides of farm. From one year to the next.

Last edited:
IMO he's too young to draw that conclusion on. Plus we just went through an extremely brutal winter which I personally believe stunted antler development this year.

IMO he's too young to draw that conclusion on. Plus we just went through an extremely brutal winter which I personally believe stunted antler development this year.

I'd have to disagree with this. I have seen excellent antler growth on the deer in my area. Mild summer really helped.

I'd agree that this deer needs to go and doesn't have the genetics to turn into much

I'd agree, the creator skipped over this fella! I'd say there should be some form of development from 2.5 to 3.5 (which I would put him at). It looks as if he filled into a 3.5 frame body wise but the antler growth didn't change. So far from what I've personally witness as well as gathered from others I'd say this spring/summer was one for the ages in terms of antler growth for many farms all over the state. A lot of deer made great gains in the antler department from our wet spring/summer compared to the past couple dry years. Just my opinion but if your managing that farm for good genes this fella definitely needs to go.

Great looking PLOT

Should have probably mowed it one last time, but it really is a nice stand of clover. Had put lots of time into with such a wet spring as far as weed competition, so I have sprayed it a couple times and mowed it probably 3-4 times.

I didn't have high hopes with how dry it has been in the past couple years, but man it really took off!

I have a cousin who just took up bowhunting in the past year. I am thinking of putting him on this guy.

Pattern this guy with your plot and would be a perfect deer for someone to start out on- helps you out management wise and would be an absolute thrill for a first deer with a bow.

no such thing as a cull buck

My definition of cull buck.... My farm can support only so many bucks. I'd prefer the bucks that make my farm home to be the better genetic bucks with better potential. There's only room for so many- so if I let a 130" 5 yr old stay- he's taking the place of others and often driving off several other bucks if he's aggressive. I "cull him out" fully appreciating the hunt & the deer and proudly shooting an older buck BUT there's a biological reason behind my decision... It's a decision of management of what types of bucks I do all I can with my managemt to make my farm home. I've got at least 6-10 buddies & kids (and myself) who have had a blast targeting, hunting and shooting "cull bucks". Everyone involved (including me, the owner) was extremely pleased, proud & we had some fun while bringing some more meat in too. Absolutely made room for younger good genetic bucks. I've literally seen new bucks take up the territory within weeks on occasion or realize they aren't going to get beat to crap anymore & become more visible & dominant.

"Culling" is overrated and unnecessary.

Please explain?
Keep in mind, folks are not talking about changing the genetic pool - they are talking about the limited amount of mature bucks any given property can hold and the frequent presence of aggressive bucks that run others off & don't have great genetics or are maxed out.
What you mean though?

Didn't mean to create a debate, but this buck (my opinion, and ultimately the only one that matters) will never be the type of buck I want on the farm.

I don't want him to be breeding my doe population and ultimately taking resources from potentially "better" bucks.

Like I said, he will be a great deer to take and hope to get my cousin into hunting and let him take this guy.

Didn't mean to create a debate, but this buck (my opinion, and ultimately the only one that matters) will never be the type of buck I want on the farm.

I don't want him to be breeding my doe population and ultimately taking resources from potentially "better" bucks.

Like I said, he will be a great deer to take and hope to get my cousin into hunting and let him take this guy.

Exactly people can't seem to figure out that not every deer hss the potential to make a booner. Some will never make 140.

Top Bottom