Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Any here shoot traditional bows only?

I started shooting archery with a compound. A few years ago I hunted with a long bow. I was confident out to around 15 yds. Had the biggest deer that I have ever seen alive at 45 yds. He got my scent, since I was on the ground. Went and bought a new compound and can shoot it deadly out to 80 yds. I have not even been out this year and I am already thinking of seeing if I can hunt with the long bow. My compound is heavy, and you have to have a pretty good idea of what the yardage to the target is. With the longbow, I can carry it all day without wanting to put it down, I can instinctively shoot and not have to have the exact yardage. I also feel that I do not need to bring as much useless stuff with me to the woods. I also now own a recurve. I am at the point in life where the hunt is more about enjoying the time out, honing my woodsman skills and not how far I can shoot a deer at. I have already done that.

This will be the year for me....selling my compound and going to the long bow full time. I've been using the compound as a crutch for 4 years now, always telling myself that I'm not ready. I'm ready now - and I'll either harvest or eat a couple tags trying.

This will be the year for me....selling my compound and going to the long bow full time. I've been using the compound as a crutch for 4 years now, always telling myself that I'm not ready. I'm ready now - and I'll either harvest or eat a couple tags trying.

I like your attitude! Are you going to hunt from a stand or the ground?

Stand primarily. There's one area that doesn't really allow for a good stand location that is a candidate for ground sits. But I rarely hunt it until late muzz.

My compound sold last night so I am 'all in'. I had sat 2 other times with the stick bow this year but needed to oust my crutch. It feels almost spiritual to be in the woods with a simple stick and string.

Top Bottom