Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tag your bucks!

Glad to see the CO's spend time and resources tracking these guys down. There obviously are not other issues going on. Tresspassing, Baiting, ect, but lets get a couple guys because they didnt tag a deer right away.

That's pretty sad it has to come down to something thing so petty when so much else is going on.

I can't say I've had a run in or even hardly seen a CO in my area in MN...which is probably why some people get away with the things they do.

We did have one run in with a fed warden in Canada. We were field hunting mallards and we had just dropped out final bird (limited out) and a truck comes flying across the field and claims we were over our limit. He spend the next 20 minutes tipping over every shell decoy and searching the brush around the area to find nothing but exactly our limit of mallards. He then checked our plugs, which were all good. Then my grandpa tried to buy a smoke off him for a quarter. He have him the smoke for nothing and said have a nice day. Haha, I thought that was funny.

So, you would no longer need a tag from the field to the freezer? I guess I would be curious as to what is defined by the DNR as "processed" and how you could transport a deer without a tag even if you called it in earlier. I've always questioned if you shot a deer way deep in public land, why could you not quarter the deer and haul it out in pieces? Seems to me that to transport the deer correctly, you would still need the tag and whole carcass.

The DNR said that anything other than gutting it is defined as processing.

So, you would no longer need a tag from the field to the freezer? I guess I would be curious as to what is defined by the DNR as "processed" and how you could transport a deer without a tag even if you called it in earlier. I've always questioned if you shot a deer way deep in public land, why could you not quarter the deer and haul it out in pieces? Seems to me that to transport the deer correctly, you would still need the tag and whole carcass.
I've been told by a CO up here to my face that if I quartered my deer out that I shot up here on public ground that I would receive no less than 3 tags. I was early season muzzleloader hunting with a buddy who moved here from Colorado and he had the packs and game bags so I asked him well prior to season if it was legal. He said he would throw the book at me.

Quite the variation of response from DNR. I have also heard that quartering a deer and hauling it out would be asking for tickets. Sure don't understand why the western states can manage to figure it out, but not us. I suppose it will take some old man with a heart condition dying because he's trying to drag out a 300lb. deer on a big piece of public ground for that to change.

Quite the variation of response from DNR. I have also heard that quartering a deer and hauling it out would be asking for tickets. Sure don't understand why the western states can manage to figure it out, but not us. I suppose it will take some old man with a heart condition dying because he's trying to drag out a 300lb. deer on a big piece of public ground for that to change.
He told me the big one was wanton waste because Iowa doesn't have the scavengers to clean it up. I asked him if he realized how many coyotes, small game, and scavenger birds were in the area. He then went on to talk about the illegality of transporting a deer in pieces and I zoned out because partially he looked like Farva from Super Troopers and because I knew the answer was no.

Why don't a few people bring up some of these episodes at the annual meeting that the DNR has to discuss what sportsmen did & didn't like about the previous season. Might be an opportunity to get some further explanation &/or call out some of the "Badge Happy" COs in public. We had a good discussion at the Nevada meeting about blood trailing wounded deer last year. At least on that topic the COs in attendance didn't sound at all like the type of person that would pull some of the stunts being reported recently for central Iowa officers. They all agreed there was nothing illegal about taking your dog for a moonlight stroll in the woods as long as you weren't armed. IF it ever happens that I get a deer in a spot where I need to quarter it to get it out & get ticketed for it, the officer better be ready to tell a judge &/or jury why that deserved a ticket, and where in the law it says quartering an animal constitutes "processing". He/she would also have to confess in public that they were too stupid to tell if 4 quarters were from the same animal and if they included nearly all the edible meat from said animal.

The Iowa law reads that a deer or turkey must be tagged within 15 minutes of finding the animal or transporting it whichever occurs first. So by the way it reads you have 15 minutes to take as many pictures as you want.

Some co's can be jerks. Two of us out of 6 got tickets for hunting with a cb one year. We were standing by the trucks after we pushed a timber about quitting time as he pulled up. Checked everyone's license and asked who Wade and myself were? Said he had heard our 1st names on the cb earlier that day. We had no radios on us nor did any of our trucks have cb's, he said didn't matter. He didn't show for the court date and the judge was pretty mad and said he was going to complain about this guy because he does this all the time.

The Iowa law reads that a deer or turkey must be tagged within 15 minutes of finding the animal or transporting it whichever occurs first. So by the way it reads you have 15 minutes to take as many pictures as you want.

Wrong. The CO said you can't even move the deer to take pictures. It counts as transporting. Just talked with him last week.

He told me the big one was wanton waste because Iowa doesn't have the scavengers to clean it up. I asked him if he realized how many coyotes, small game, and scavenger birds were in the area. He then went on to talk about the illegality of transporting a deer in pieces and I zoned out because partially he looked like Farva from Super Troopers and because I knew the answer was no.

Haha. Love it

Sent from my XT1030 using IW

Missouri has it right. You don't have to have a tag on the deer as long as your tag is notched. So, don't forget your pocket knife or gutting knife while hunting mo!

Wrong. The CO said you can't even move the deer to take pictures. It counts as transporting. Just talked with him last week.

Out of curiosity, what CO told you this? I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering if this is his interpretation of the rules or if all COs would write a ticket to someone for just picking up the deer's head to get a quick snapshot before tagging. If this is the case, they could write a whole lot of poaching tickets.

Out of curiosity, what CO told you this? I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering if this is his interpretation of the rules or if all COs would write a ticket to someone for just picking up the deer's head to get a quick snapshot before tagging. If this is the case, they could write a whole lot of poaching tickets.

Story County

Sounds like Story County has a new CO looking to make his bones or he's just a super d bag. I know I have showed one of our COs pictures of a buck I shot, when he asked, that were taken right were the deer was found right when we found it. No tag yet and he did not say a word about it.

Every CO is different. ..you want the real law..read the iow code books...if ya want to test them, know your literature well....There should be no Gray area in the outdoors....but that's how they jack us for more money.

Top Bottom