Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Military... considering retiring in IA

If you get out away from the larger cities, the hunting pressure seems to be less during bow season. A lot of hunters are strictly shotgunners and they only get 14 days total to hunt. As for 160+ every year, I see at least 1 but getting them on the ground is a different story. The sections that I hunt are big enough that the gun hunters might push them a little but they are pretty hard to contain. (SW Iowa)

Another plus is that I'm sure the corn fed deer taste better :)

Daniel, How does your wife feel about a possible move? I know you hinted at it when you quoted and responded to my reply, but is she okay with it for the most part or is there some what of a reservation? Also, Do you have any relatives or family in this region?

My wife is torn like I am. We are both primarily torn between Iowa and Washington more so than any other states.

We have a large network of great friends and contacts in WA but her dad lives in Sioux Falls, SD so not too far away from where we would be in IA. The two kind of equal each other out for us.

We have also considered that Iowa is likely a better economy for our kids to get a start when they finish school. However, Boise, Seattle and Portland are available for our kids and within 5-6 hours so while not as ideal as Iowa and the job opportunities in the cities of the surrounding states there are options for them in WA. Spokane, WA..where our home is... has options but the economy is primarily a service economy so the jobs opportunities are not very diverse and the good paying jobs are few and far between outside of healthcare.

For the reasons above it really comes down to the hunting.

I should add... We are both used to the moving... right now we are WA residents and that is where we hunt and own a home but we are stationed in Germany. My wife is from Nevada and like me moved all over the country as a kid and as an adult. She only ended up in WA for the same reasons as me.... that is where my career took me. She has a of family in CA, AZ and NV but has zero desire to return to that region. I have a lot of family in AR but have zero desire to go there.

Last edited:
If you get out away from the larger cities, the hunting pressure seems to be less during bow season. A lot of hunters are strictly shotgunners and they only get 14 days total to hunt. As for 160+ every year, I see at least 1 but getting them on the ground is a different story. The sections that I hunt are big enough that the gun hunters might push them a little but they are pretty hard to contain. (SW Iowa)

Another plus is that I'm sure the corn fed deer taste better :)

That is good to hear... even if I live near one of the larger population centers I will have the luxury of going 2-3 hours away on a consistent basis and during the hunting season I will be able to spend a ton of time in those areas.

I have no doubt the deer taste better in IA. I have had a few old mountain bucks that were a little gamey.

I have a buddy that owns some land in SW IA but he lives out of state. He never comes back to hunt it but he always finds nice sheds on the property. Usually he pulls at least one 145 - 160 set every year.

Iowa vs Washington

160-200" are huge. I love how the 160 Mark gets thrown around. A 160" buck is big. I own and lease farms in some of the best spots in the state and can say flat out that 170 -200" deer are tough to take. I think your chances of killing a giant is definitely better here in Iowa, but they are few and far between. If you have reasonable chances of shooting 160-200 incher stay where you are. No point in moving unless u are looking for that rarest of deer...the monster that goes 200 or better. They are here, u might get pictures of them. U might see them, but killing them is the deal....much different. My humble opinion

160-200" are huge. I love how the 160 Mark gets thrown around. A 160" buck is big. I own and lease farms in some of the best spots in the state and can say flat out that 170 -200" deer are tough to take. I think your chances of killing a giant is definitely better here in Iowa, but they are few and far between. If you have reasonable chances of shooting 160-200 incher stay where you are. No point in moving unless u are looking for that rarest of deer...the monster that goes 200 or better. They are here, u might get pictures of them. U might see them, but killing them is the deal....much different. My humble opinion

Thank you for the feedback.

I like possibilities. 160 is definitely big. It's hard to kill something that big on a yearly basis in WA (I cant and I haven't met anyone that has had a streak more than 2-3 years in a row at best). I feel pretty fortunate if I can kill a 160+ every few years. However, I can find some every year. They are there and I am hunting them. I may end the season with 145 or nothing at all if I decide to hold out until the last day but the fact that I have that realistic and verified possibility every year keeps things exciting.

I am definitely not throwing around 160. I have killed 160 inch deer and know how exceptional they are. I know that it takes a lot effort (in WA at least) to locate this type of buck annually. They aren't behind every tree in WA and most guys don't find them with annual consistency but I have proven it's possible if you cover enough ground. Killing a 140-155 range in WA is virtually a done deal in WA if you know how to hunt the state. However, it's that ability to locate a huntable (i.e. have land access) 160+ every year in Iowa that I was curious about.

I am coming to the conclusion based off a lot of feedback that if a guy can cover the ground it's very possible to locate these (even on public land) in IA.

I would love to own land but I believe land ownership and long-term leases would tie me down far too much to the point that I wouldn't be able to find bucks like that year after year for a decade or more unless I am controlling 5K-10K acres of prime habitat which is just not in the realm of my possibilities.

Just found this article. It appears to show what is possible on Iowa Public ground. I'd like to just have the opportunity to locate and hunt deer like this each year in Iowa... this guy is consistently closing the deal.... very impressive.

"Over a 10-year span, Swihart had taken six bucks that grossed over the B&C minimum.... Most interesting is the fact that all but one was taken on public hunting ground."

"Swihart's success on public lands in the past 10 years is proof that you don't need to spend thousands of dollars to shoot the trophy of a lifetime. No doubt you won't find a Boone & Crockett whitetail behind every Iowa bush, but time spent scouting now could payoff big for you as well!"

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/deer-of-the-day/fred-swihart-buck-215-inch-iowa-early-bird/

Last edited:
OK guys, get some Permethryn concentrate please!!! mix your own, apply to clothes, no ticks ever again. Don't need a bunch more guys running around with Lyme's disease, most not even knowing it until way down the road. Easy solution.

Or becoming allergic to beef- no fun! Little to late to prevent that for me- but I am definately treating my clothes this spring for ticks with Permethryn!!

I would just like to thank everyone for the advice and experiences shared. My family and I are definitely looking forward to living in Iowa.

Just found this article. It appears to show what is possible on Iowa Public ground. I'd like to just have the opportunity to locate and hunt deer like this each year in Iowa... this guy is consistently closing the deal.... very impressive.

"Over a 10-year span, Swihart had taken six bucks that grossed over the B&C minimum.... Most interesting is the fact that all but one was taken on public hunting ground."

"Swihart's success on public lands in the past 10 years is proof that you don't need to spend thousands of dollars to shoot the trophy of a lifetime. No doubt you won't find a Boone & Crockett whitetail behind every Iowa bush, but time spent scouting now could payoff big for you as well!"

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/deer-of-the-day/fred-swihart-buck-215-inch-iowa-early-bird/

I know Fred and think it's important you all know what goes on there. Word on the street is he hunts exclusively in zone 11, right around the town of Middleberriesburg. There's 4 state game areas there and he bounces from one to the next. The Wazoo Management area is his favorite, specifically the north portion, he has 3 stands up there that produce with consistency, right next to the big oak ridge with the hidden apple orchards almost everyone overlooks. There was 3 booners frequenting that area that did in fact survive this season and all 3 should be there next year, from what I see, all over 200".
Sorry Fred, I think your success should be broadcast more, hopefully it's cool I let the cat out of the bag on where you're at and what makes you a success - you earned the recognition! ;)

Get a boat and hunt the river bottom public ground and you will do just fine :) Plenty of booners on public in November, far more than any private I hunt.

Get a boat and hunt the river bottom public ground and you will do just fine :) Plenty of booners on public in November, far more than any private I hunt.

Thank you. I definitely look forward to check out the river bottom ground. I have heard that it holds good bucks in the past.

No boat needed if you're willing to sweat like a pig before you get there. :D

Lets see some more pictures of some WA kills and make it 11 pages!!! Seriously, it's Feb and we need something!!

Lets see some more pictures of some WA kills and make it 11 pages!!! Seriously, it's Feb and we need something!!

Which is the best broadhead?
What do you think of guys continuing to shoot year old bucks year after year?
Is a Crossbow similar to a regular bow & arrow?
What do you think of Obama?

:D

Washington Public Land Whitetail

picture.php
picture.php

Which is the best broadhead?
What do you think of guys continuing to shoot year old bucks year after year?
Is a Crossbow similar to a regular bow & arrow?
What do you think of Obama?

1. Trophy Taker Shuttle T.
2. Because they taste good.
3. No.
4. I'm in in the military. He is my Commander in Chief... So I will keep my mouth shut. :D

How does this thread go on for 10 pages? Obviously I am missing something here!

To be honest. I think it's because people were extremely helpful. One of the the things I like about people in Iowa... And I tried to reply to as many people as I could so that probably nearly doubled the length.

Top Bottom