Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Military... considering retiring in IA

Yeah... we were none too happy about that one. Things were pretty nice in WA (surprisingly) until that passed.

I can tell you this... not many are following that law: http://townhall.com/columnists/rach...s-i594--in-front-of-police-n1931759/page/full

Yep. I read some articles about the protests at the Capitol. I wish you guys the best of luck on that one. But if that law is still on the books a year from now, I think you guys will be in serious trouble. It opens the door for selective prosecution on felony charges.

Like I said, good luck to you WA residents. I'm pullin' for ya!!

Last edited:
That is one thing I do not like Iowa for. No place to roam. All private. because of deer hunting every land owner is trespass hyper. I have spent time in Wyoming, and Montana, BC Canada. I am contemplating my next move to be somewhere in Idaho. Forget the deer. I just like to ROAM!

That is one thing I do not like Iowa for. No place to roam. All private. because of deer hunting every land owner is trespass hyper. I have spent time in Wyoming, and Montana, BC Canada. I am contemplating my next move to be somewhere in Idaho. Forget the deer. I just like to ROAM!

Interesting perspective, have to say I agree. It has got bad! Nothing like walking all day for any reason and not have to worry about where you are.

Interesting perspective, have to say I agree. It has got bad! Nothing like walking all day for any reason and not have to worry about where you are.

I will say that is one of the beautiful things out west. You can explore/scout for days without covering the same ground.. and if there is nothing you are looking for on a given year by the time you get back to it in a few years there will be new animals to check out.

93077-What is the climate out where you are? Dry? Forest fires? With all the Mtns and Valleys I know the climate varies greatly -from Desert to Moist.

93077-What is the climate out where you are? Dry? Forest fires? With all the Mtns and Valleys I know the climate varies greatly -from Desert to Moist.

I would classify the area as fairly dry though it does get anywhere from 20-30 inches of rain and 48-60 inches of snowfall (not always accumulations because there are often melts). You can almost always tell how the fire season is going to be based off of the snowfall and how long it sticks around.

The summers are fairly dry and I would probably rank them the best in the country for comfort level.. nice cool evenings and great warm dry days.

You are correct about the variance of climate... WA alone has everything from Temperate Rainforests to Deserts with actual sand dunes to glacier covered mountains.

Thanks, I spent one Summer and 5 Autumns at the foot of the Tetons. Almost nill moisture until Nov. 90' days and almost touching 32' some nites during the summer! Cool nites for sure.

Thanks, I spent one Summer and 5 Autumns at the foot of the Tetons. Almost nill moisture until Nov. 90' days and almost touching 32' some nites during the summer! Cool nites for sure.

Yeah... you will only get that cool of a night at higher altitude... But I would say 60's at night in the area I am from.... Very low humidity in the summer which makes it nice.. and the cold even in November doesn't feel quite as cold as I have experienced back east where there is more moisture in the air.

Love the Tetons/Yellowstone area... beautiful place to be.

Just to try and kick this one to 16 pages. My fiance is likely to move here since I have not been able to find a position over in WI. But we would like to be at the foot hills in Colorado. may start trying to talk her into Washington. The climate seems like it is comfortable and warmer winters than here. With less people and more room to hunt and roam, like others have said.

I'll help. Now I see what you are up to Daniel; after the mass exodus to Washington, Iowa will be wide open for you to settle in; you'll have it all to yourself.:D

Just to try and kick this one to 16 pages. My fiance is likely to move here since I have not been able to find a position over in WI. But we would like to be at the foot hills in Colorado. may start trying to talk her into Washington. The climate seems like it is comfortable and warmer winters than here. With less people and more room to hunt and roam, like others have said.

If you aren't tied down to an area and you have job flexibility that entire region of WA/OR/ID/MT/WY is great. I'm a fan of the foot hills of CO too. It really all depends on what your are looking for... either way.. you will love it out west. It's all about what type of experience you want to have... World Class Mule Deer.. CO is absolute tops.. with WY/ID (Utah) not being bad. Great Elk Hunting MT/CO/WY with (Utah) again not being bad... If you still want the best Whitetail I would say WA all the way (even though the book may not say that) unless you can find access on the CO plain.

You will still find great Elk/Mule Deer, etc in all of those states. WA an WY have no state income tax so that's nice. OR and MT have no State Sales tax.... again... tons of options depending on what you are looking for.

I'll help. Now I see what you are up to Daniel; after the mass exodus to Washington, Iowa will be wide open for you to settle in; you'll have it all to yourself.:D

:D I didn't think it was a bad plan... hey.. I'm not selling them Ocean Front property in AZ. The west is great. I am going to miss the heck out of it.

If you aren't tied down to an area and you have job flexibility that entire region of WA/OR/ID/MT/WY is great. I'm a fan of the foot hills of CO too. It really all depends on what your are looking for... either way.. you will love it out west. It's all about what type of experience you want to have... World Class Mule Deer.. CO is absolute tops.. with WY/ID (Utah) not being bad. Great Elk Hunting MT/CO/WY with (Utah) again not being bad... If you still want the best Whitetail I would say WA all the way (even though the book may not say that) unless you can find access on the CO plain.

You will still find great Elk/Mule Deer, etc in all of those states. WA an WY have no state income tax so that's nice. OR and MT have no State Sales tax.... again... tons of options depending on what you are looking for.

I have flexability and I am not tied down to much to any one place. Like you, I moved a good bit when younger and was in the military. The only thing that I want to ensure, is that I have the money to retire when I am older.

I love whitetail hunting, would rather do so more on the ground than from a tree. I would like to hunt other big game also and the "West" would give me that option, without having to own property to do so.

I have flexability and I am not tied down to much to any one place. Like you, I moved a good bit when younger and was in the military. The only thing that I want to ensure, is that I have the money to retire when I am older.

I love whitetail hunting, would rather do so more on the ground than from a tree. I would like to hunt other big game also and the "West" would give me that option, without having to own property to do so.

From what you are telling me here I think your original idea of moving to CO is spot on. Great spot and stalk hunting on the plains and not too far away over in NE and KS. A good economy if work is needed and world class Mule Deer/Elk. Of course the summers are also great..lots of days of sunshine.

Daniel,

I think we should chat.

I think you might want to clarify your position a bit. Just so weare speaking the same language tho. Typical, Nontypical, Gross, Net, ya see where I am coming from?

Daniel,

I think we should chat.

I think you might want to clarify your position a bit. Just so weare speaking the same language tho. Typical, Nontypical, Gross, Net, ya see where I am coming from?

Thanks.. I always talk Gross Nontypical unless I specify otherwise.

I mentioned it earlier but I should add again that 160+ is what I can expect in WA with the absolute top end generally being right around 200 gross in the big woods/mountains away from agriculture. That 180-200 gross range is not extremely common to find but I would say that every few years you could find one in that range.

Last edited:
:D Just to keep the fun going I figured I would post another public land WA buck. This is a buck a friend of mine was hunting until he was poached (a couple years later on the decline). I love that 7X typical left side.

picture.php

Sheds of a WA buck owned by a reputable WA outfitter. I am not sure if these were public/private but I do know there is public state land in and around his guide area (never hunted his area of the county personally).

picture.php

These are public land whitetail from a local outfitter (different than the one above) that operates in some of the areas I hunt.

picture.php
picture.php

Top Bottom