Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Big creek

Jordan46

Does anyone know if big creek is melted off yet and what the fishing is like? Plan on going down there on Sunday.

It's open. No docks in yet. Cat's are hitting pretty good.

Just a tip to the unlearned :D...if Blaster says the "Cat's are hitting...", then you better pay attention. Every year he posts some nice pics of stringers full of cats here on IW, so he knows what he is talking about!

Just a tip to the unlearned :D...if Blaster says the "Cat's are hitting...", then you better pay attention. Every year he posts some nice pics of stringers full of cats here on IW, so he knows what he is talking about!

The bite has begun!:D
picture.php

What are good baits to use for ice out cats? I'm guessing stink bait is more of a summer bait?

To me, even more important than the bait to use for early cats is the location. Look for shallow water, as in 2'-4' of depth, a mud bottom(water warms quicker with a dark bottom), if possible AND where the wind is hitting the shore. The wind will congregate drifting dead fish(bait) and slightly warmer water. The wind is a key to me, keep it in your face.

For bait, shad guts is probably #1, followed by dead chubs/minnows and some guys even use worms with good results. Try to simulate something that a cat would find to eat naturally at this time of the year, with the ice melting off, there is often "bait" released in the form of dead minnows/shad that then begins to drift.

We were going to try for some crappies, because the two guys Im going with arent catfishers like I am. Plus it is not my boat lol

We were going to try for some crappies, because the two guys Im going with arent catfishers like I am. Plus it is not my boat lol

Should be a good trip regardless. Sounds like the walleyes though sub legal are being caught with good luck. A lot of 13-14.5 inch fish, jig head minnow or slip bobber and minnow 16-24 FOW. If you have the navionics app on your phone or GPS you shouldn't have problems locating crappies over them brush piles. Bit early for pre-spawn crappies but they will still be in their late winter /early spring patterns so you shouldn't have any issues catching them. Shoot me a PM and I'll point ya in more specific directions for the walleyes if you guys decide to go that route.

Should be a good trip regardless. Sounds like the walleyes though sub legal are being caught with good luck. A lot of 13-14.5 inch fish, jig head minnow or slip bobber and minnow 16-24 FOW. If you have the navionics app on your phone or GPS you shouldn't have problems locating crappies over them brush piles. Bit early for pre-spawn crappies but they will still be in their late winter /early spring patterns so you shouldn't have any issues catching them. Shoot me a PM and I'll point ya in more specific directions for the walleyes if you guys decide to go that route.
Itll be more of a catch whatever is biting trip. Try to get into the shallower areas and we'll probably see what the spillway is doing

Top Bottom