Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Huge walleye

hunt iowa

Life Member
The local Game Warden is reporting that a 36" Walleye was CPR in Brushy Creek Lake near Fort Dodge. Also numerous 30-32 inchers are being reported

The local Game Warden is reporting that a 36" Walleye was CPR in Brushy Creek Lake near Fort Dodge. Also numerous 30-32 inchers are being reported

Business must be slow for old mike over at the gas station for a fable of a story like this to surface......

36" walleye is 5 inches larger than the state record. Walleyes of that caliber reach 17-18lbs. If that fish was in fact caught, it would have almost 100% been a state record, assuming she absorbed her eggs and thus didn't spawn she would be easily over 15lbs shattering our state record by almost one full lb. I'm going to have to say, based off the world we live in and everybody has cell phones and no pictures have surface that I'm throwing the BS flag.

I'll have to ask Dakota this weekend, assuming I see him at the lake if he supports your random plug for "FISH BRUSHY" story.....

Last edited:
It IS A FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pic is on the wall in Duncombe

I spoke with a gentleman today who caught a 30" and a 32" last night.

That's a walleye that would equal about a 280 inch whitetail. I'd love to see some pictures of her. Hopefully he turned her back....

Caught-----Photo-----------Released

Was in duncombe last night and didn't see it. Since it's already public id love you to post a pic of it. I'm still betting the farm its no where in the ballpark of 36. Also betting picture quality is garbage, much like many of the pictures that make mikes wall. 11" crappie blows into a 16". 36" musky is a 50". A 36" walleye SHATTERS a state record length. I can assure you if someone felt the need to have their picture put up in a local bait shop, they surely would have called someone to verify just to make sure they didn't indeed catch a state record.

Was in duncombe last night and didn't see it. Since it's already public id love you to post a pic of it. I'm still betting the farm its no where in the ballpark of 36. Also betting picture quality is garbage, much like many of the pictures that make mikes wall. 11" crappie blows into a 16". 36" musky is a 50". A 36" walleye SHATTERS a state record length. I can assure you if someone felt the need to have their picture put up in a local bait shop, they surely would have called someone to verify just to make sure they didn't indeed catch a state record.
Too bad records are by weight and not length though length is recorded

Too bad records are by weight and not length though length is recorded

lol

It's 4.5 inches longer, with each inch come weight. It's a lake walleye, which means unless conditions are perfect (running water and plenty of it) that fish didn't spawn or dump her eggs, most likely absorbed them. I've caught numerous 25" walleyes from that lake and almost all of them this time of the year still have that "belly" indicating an egg sack is still in there. I've even cleaned a few big girls that ripped their gills out from smashing a crank so hard and wouldn't ya know....still had reminisce of aborting a dump and began to absorb the eggs.

With that being said, a 36" walleye is going to weight 13+ lbs even in the summer, that's close enough to being the 14 that holds our 20+yr old state record. And like I said, someone who needed to show off his catch at mikes store most likely would have also wanted a state record, who wouldn't. I had my 31" that weight 10.6 officially weighed because I had no clue how big she even was. A 36" is un-heard of, and I can guarantee if one was caught a lot of people would be hearing about it.

Last edited:
I've fished in Minnesota all my life and I've caught a 30 and 31.5

Biggest I have seen personally is 33...

36 would be a freak! I will believe it when I see pics

It's on Iowawalleye.com right now.
36" sounded big but I don't know crap about fish. Who knows. I'd sure appreciate seeing a pic of a walleye that big, it "sounds big" - I had no clue what a record fish is though.
One fish I saw with my own eyes, a "fish story" that's just fun and that's all it will ever be - a fun fish memory... My buddy & I (he's serious!!!) took all our gear out for the day. He caught a gigantic bass. I snapped the pic on his phone, he put on a digital scale & we took the pic on the scale - 11.1 lbs. Iowa. No, you can't enter it cause I think you needed to kill the fish and/or take it out and certified??? He didn't care about the record & didn't want to kill the fish. He got awesome pics that are as legit as you can get without entering it. Threw the fish back and had a replica made with the photo of the fish on the scale below the mount. Pretty neat. Good old giant Iowa farm pond monster bass. Biggest I'll ever see in my life I'm sure.

don't think so

well the current washington walleye record weighs
20.32 lbs
ITS LENGHTH WAS 35.50 inches.

sure would like to see a picture CPR

IMHO i don't think the state record will come from a lake/river without shad as a forage....even at 36" I don't think that fish right now would weight 13#.

But, imagine a 36" eye from the 'sippi or des moines river basin, pre spawn. That fish would go 18# plus!

IMHO i don't think the state record will come from a lake/river without shad as a forage....even at 36" I don't think that fish right now would weight 13#.

But, imagine a 36" eye from the 'sippi or des moines river basin, pre spawn. That fish would go 18# plus!

I think your completely correct, except if there was an exception lake in Iowa it would be Brushy. I personally know of 2 fish caught at the end of May that were over 11lbs and I can assure you they were no where near 36". The lake produces some freak fish. Wish they'd put a barricade over the spillway as the fast majority of the quality fish go over. When that lake was first built you couldn't keep small mouth of a leech when fishing for eyes. I haven't heard of smallie caught out of there in years. I've personally caught 2 walleyes down below the spillway that were over 30" not to mention the hundreds of musky that are down there. That lake would be 10 fold better if they'd do something about that, much like Big Creek did with their spillway.

Top Bottom