Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
Mowed my clover low (4 inches). This year I have had lots of broad leaf competition. Lots of moisture so don't think it will stress it but need to but with some 2-4D on obviously before season if this doesn't help.

ForumRunner_20150720_203256.jpg

ForumRunner_20150720_203320.jpg

ForumRunner_20150720_203342.jpg

ForumRunner_20150720_203354.jpg

Does it make sense to have a dedicated clover plot (acre in size) if its immediately next to a 20 acre grass hay field that already has "decent" clover representation? If I made clover, it would be to hunt over. If I opted out, I'd just reseed it back to hay for more rent.

Does it make sense to have a dedicated clover plot (acre in size) if its immediately next to a 20 acre grass hay field that already has "decent" clover representation? If I made clover, it would be to hunt over. If I opted out, I'd just reseed it back to hay for more rent.

I'd do a dedicated clover plot next to a hay mix. But, I'd pry do like 1/4 acre and the rest I'd do like Dbltree rotation. Reason I WOULD do clover next to hay that has clover..... I'd do different types of clover. For example, in a hay mix, most clover will be red, most of the time, some white but probably not dominant. Your clover could be tweaked to have the most desirable.... different whites like Kopu II, Alice, Ladino, Durana or whatever. Alsike, Balansa, berseem, etc. But, aside from the variety, you have the ability to keep on weeds, fertilize heavily, mow to keep tender, etc. If you baby that smaller clover plot, it will be better and targeted IMO.

Last clipping of the summer, 1 acre white clover plot. Took it down to 4-5". Should be nice and palatable all fall.

Last edited:
I'd do a dedicated clover plot next to a hay mix. But, I'd pry do like 1/4 acre and the rest I'd do like Dbltree rotation. Reason I WOULD do clover next to hay that has clover..... I'd do different types of clover. For example, in a hay mix, most clover will be red, most of the time, some white but probably not dominant. Your clover could be tweaked to have the most desirable.... different whites like Kopu II, Alice, Ladino, Durana or whatever. Alsike, Balansa, berseem, etc. But, aside from the variety, you have the ability to keep on weeds, fertilize heavily, mow to keep tender, etc. If you baby that smaller clover plot, it will be better and targeted IMO.

Lots of good info there.

Here is a 2nd year white clover plot, planted with a rye and wheat cover crop in August 2014. I frost seeded some trouble areas this March and was only able to clip it twice this summer. We had a brutally dry Summer here in NoMo, but a few timely rains helped it roar back just in time for prime time. Pic taken 11/7

Is it to late to fertilize 0-26-26 to my clover plots @ 200Lbs a Acre ? I usually do first April , we got a good rain coming in this week end so I thought it might be worth a shot. I didn't get a chance this spring with all the apple trees I planted.

Is it to late to fertilize 0-26-26 to my clover plots @ 200Lbs a Acre ? I usually do first April , we got a good rain coming in this week end so I thought it might be worth a shot. I didn't get a chance this spring with all the apple trees I planted.
Never too late on p&k. P&k needs a lot of time to break down. One is essentially "rock" so it really needs winter to freeze and thaw to break down. But yes, put down NOW. You can put p&k down anytime, unlike N- it cannot evaporate and u r putting down so it starts the breakdown process.
So...... best time to put down.. use a time machine and put down last fall or over last winter. Second best time: Right now.

How many pounds an acre of oats do you guys use when using it for a nurse crop? Want a good fall plot but don't want smother out the cover

Bag of horse oats/acre. Hard for me to find just common oats. They all want seed oat price so I just buy the horse oats.

Yep , 1 bag , oats don't get to tall so you wont have a smothering issues it last mine haven't , not like Rye , I would add rye to my mix and kill of the upcoming spring , add a bag with the oats. Plant first September.

Was just listening to podcast Mark Drury was on. Mark talked about a BASF product that he uses on his clover for broadleafs. Sounds different than 2,4-DB. Sounds like its intended application is for angae in ponds but has lasting residual. Anyone know what that would be? I am super curious. It think 2,4-DB is so-so to OK.

Was just listening to podcast Mark Drury was on. Mark talked about a BASF product that he uses on his clover for broadleafs. Sounds different than 2,4-DB. Sounds like its intended application is for angae in ponds but has lasting residual. Anyone know what that would be? I am super curious. It think 2,4-DB is so-so to OK.

I've never sprayed for broadleaves in 16+ years of clover plots. Too weedy- redo em. I'll admit- I have way too many projects going and that's PART of reason. But- crummy plots- burn em up and rotate em out and back in. For example- burn em up and brassica them or if want clover later- do ur rye mix. Forbs & annual weeds don't do so hot with mowing, most of the time. Then, nail in coffin on weeds after mowing..... next late winter for example- frost seed more, mow later- game over. Million ways to do this like
Anything. Grasses on other hand are harder.... perennials that need to do- clethodim & crop oil. Want a little riskier but " solve all" herbicide??? hit with round up and heck- go scatter more clover seed in later. Many people do lower doses - true story.... I hit done with 3 qts Round up, ams & 40 ignite/liberty and some still came back quite strong!!! That's tough stuff. Well- I said - by by clover - 2,4-d + some more ignite & round up and it was a knock out - game over. That stuff is silly crazy hard to kill if growing well. Imo (if busy & lot of projects)..... take care of grass but deal with rest with mowing, interseeding, rotations and frost seeding. Any combo. Never used Butyrac in my life and likely never will. If I did have more time, sure, be different. Million ways to deal with it.

I've never sprayed for broadleaves in 16+ years of clover plots. Too weedy- redo em. I'll admit- I have way too many projects going and that's PART of reason. But- crummy plots- burn em up and rotate em out and back in. For example- burn em up and brassica them or if want clover later- do ur rye mix. Forbs & annual weeds don't do so hot with mowing, most of the time. Then, nail in coffin on weeds after mowing..... next late winter for example- frost seed more, mow later- game over. Million ways to do this like
Anything. Grasses on other hand are harder.... perennials that need to do- clethodim & crop oil. Want a little riskier but " solve all" herbicide??? hit with round up and heck- go scatter more clover seed in later. Many people do lower doses - true story.... I hit done with 3 qts Round up, ams & 40 ignite/liberty and some still came back quite strong!!! That's tough stuff. Well- I said - by by clover - 2,4-d + some more ignite & round up and it was a knock out - game over. That stuff is silly crazy hard to kill if growing well. Imo (if busy & lot of projects)..... take care of grass but deal with rest with mowing, interseeding, rotations and frost seeding. Any combo. Never used Butyrac in my life and likely never will. If I did have more time, sure, be different. Million ways to deal with it.
Good stuff. Still curious what this mystery herbicide is that Mark was talking about. Sustained residual broadleaf control in clover. Sounds too good to be true. In years like this that it's too dry to think of mowing but weeds popping sure be nice. Yes too much to do not enough time. I hear ya!

Good stuff. Still curious what this mystery herbicide is that Mark was talking about. Sustained residual broadleaf control in clover. Sounds too good to be true. In years like this that it's too dry to think of mowing but weeds popping sure be nice. Yes too much to do not enough time. I hear ya!
If I had to guess... bet he's either taking about Prowl or trifluralin. Total guess but if u find it- lemme know if I guessed right :). He could mistakenly be talking bout Butyrac (2,4-dB) but I doubt he'd make that mistake. My bet is on 1st 2 unless something new i ain't heard of. And ain't needed ;).

Top Bottom