Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

Chestnut Oak

I have 100 acorns off a 8 yr. old Chestnut Oak for free. First year to bear. Be happy to mail them to some wanting to mess with them.

picture.php

Not as fast growing as a hybrid oak but nice shape and leaves. Branches spread out more than most in the white oak family. Tin wall is 8' high.
picture.php

I can find a permanent home for some of those! I don't need them all if someone else would like to try growing acorns into oak trees!

I've got a boat load of burs and white oaks collected if you'd like any of those. Any Gobbler Sawtooth acorns for you this year? :)

Sure thing Jordan. The Gobbler's are just now putting on acorns (which are always late) so they will be western Iowa bound.

Question: In a normal year when do Swamp White Oaks start dropping acorns? I have my eyes on 3 trees and in all 3 cases the acorns are very well attached and don't appear as though they will drop anytime soon. I've never paid that much attention to that variety because I don't have many (yet)

Side note: It appears to be a great year for white acorns. I was out collecting and in areas it was literally a blanket of acorns. If I had to guess I bet there was 20 acorns per square foot in all white oak tree areas.

Thanks.

Question: In a normal year when do Swamp White Oaks start dropping acorns? I have my eyes on 3 trees and in all 3 cases the acorns are very well attached and don't appear as though they will drop anytime soon. I've never paid that much attention to that variety because I don't have many (yet)

Side note: It appears to be a great year for white acorns. I was out collecting and in areas it was literally a blanket of acorns. If I had to guess I bet there was 20 acorns per square foot in all white oak tree areas.

Thanks.

My swamp white let go with the acorns last week. Still some on the tree but dry conditions have sped things up I think.

Ok dumb question, but I'm just trying this for the first time. I've got white oak acorns in the fridge from early Sept., the roots are just starting to pop out.
What do I do? Can they go in the ground this late in the year if I water them well? I'll also use partial tubes to keep critters out.

I should have added that I'm not setup for potting them and I'm wondering if I can leave them in the fridge for fear of frost if they happen to pop out of the ground in a couple weeks?

Ok dumb question, but I'm just trying this for the first time. I've got white oak acorns in the fridge from early Sept., the roots are just starting to pop out.
What do I do? Can they go in the ground this late in the year if I water them well? I'll also use partial tubes to keep critters out.

Its a natural thing for white oaks to pop a root in the fall. They'll be fine if you want to put them in the ground. Partial tubes will not work 100% against rodents. Frost won't hurt chances but lack of water will. With all trees sometimes you hit it just right and some years are failures. Maybe it will rain in Nov. and you'll be glad you did it.

Is there anything you can do to prevent acorn thievery other than a super tight fence? I don't know what is doing it, but something is stealing my acorns that are started in trays. Probably lost 25 out of 350.... and counting.

I had same problem over the weekend. I found a hole about 8-10" in fence at house.... I blocked it with mini football last night just outta curiousity. Just checked it and whatever it was pushed it outta way. Rabbit, squirrel or coon. Couldn't find foot prints but it goes and digs em up and eats em. Now there's a conibear trap by that hole. We'll see! It's hunting season tonight!!

I have 100 acorns off a 8 yr. old Chestnut Oak for free. First year to bear. Be happy to mail them to some wanting to mess with them.

picture.php

Not as fast growing as a hybrid oak but nice shape and leaves. Branches spread out more than most in the white oak family. Tin wall is 8' high.
picture.php

Acorns on an 8 year old tree, can't complain!!

Did you cage or tube the tree?

Acorns on an 8 year old tree, can't complain!!

Did you cage or tube the tree?

Tubed them from rabbits and deer. I started out with a few trees from Oikos Trees and they have been early producers. From them Ive been raising seedlings.

Mystery solved, the main part.... Nothing in my trap- went to check on acorns, little devil right there caught red handed.... Little chipmunk. Dang thing. He was pretty cute. Still got something else getting in but it's the chipmunk that eats about 3-4 acorns a day. Moved the trays up on my deck on the table and I don't think he'll get up there.

What no harvest pics. Sligh1 you're getting soft with age. It happens. Glad I don't have chipmunks.

What no harvest pics. Sligh1 you're getting soft with age. It happens. Glad I don't have chipmunks.
Can't do it! I slayed a few "cute easter bunnies" last year and didn't shed many tears. Pretty funny. Chipmunks, we have a tiny amount by rock landscaping & they are going to be safe there. I am just moving the trays where they can't get to em. Yep, soft. Next step, quitting hunting, PETA membership, bringing in like 94 cats, etc.

Nice looking greenhouse! Where did you get all of your tray supplies? I've been looking online, and I never knew (cheap) black plastic could be so expensive!

Top Bottom