Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

walleye central

BDAHMS

Be here Now
I will just keep adding to the fish threads:)

went out with a couple buddies yesterday for about 2.5- hours to do some crappie fishing at our favorite spot and while they were off fishing the brush piles- I went to a drop off with jigs and minnows and literally caught keeper walleyes EVERY single cast. Caught 30-40+ in a couple hours- all keeper size - one was even roughly 7 lbs or so that was released. kept 15 and also a lot of keeper crappie that they had caught

13606731_960562558534_6005374726989800120_n.jpg

13537601_960562573504_8191022478550728420_n.jpg

that would be correct - Private

was never stocked- but river flooded into it years ago and now is a walleye mecca

Yep. Im 90% sure I know where you were. Lots of fish there. I used to trespass there when I was a kid. I know a lot of guys that still do.

there are multiple spots like this around the metro- the one I am on is probably trespassed the least as it is not in the public view as much as others- fortunately for me- I am out there on permission (they are a customer of mine) and dont have to worry about that.

Roughly - ballpark- how big and deep is that? I own a farm with a large body of water inside it and I wondered if that could be like that on my place.
Now- my place doesn't have the sand and rocks though. & that water looks like it's "cleaner" or "flowing". Mine is not like that. Mine roughly 38-40 acres and 17-20' deep.
Pretty cool!!!

Roughly - ballpark- how big and deep is that? I own a farm with a large body of water inside it and I wondered if that could be like that on my place.
Now- my place doesn't have the sand and rocks though. & that water looks like it's "cleaner" or "flowing". Mine is not like that. Mine roughly 38-40 acres and 17-20' deep.
Pretty cool!!!

It is about 60 acres and most of it is around 30' ft. Some 40' holes. It is pretty clear- good gravel and water flow. But you could easily have good walleye habitat with the size and depth of yours.

walleye

It is about 60 acres and most of it is around 30' ft. Some 40' holes. It is pretty clear- good gravel and water flow. But you could easily have good walleye habitat with the size and depth of yours.

Just curious can a pond/small lake withstand taking a limit of walleye out, is there just that many, or do you have to be more selective on harvest numbers. We don't fish small bodies of water much or at all, just lakes in MN.

Just curious can a pond/small lake withstand taking a limit of walleye out, is there just that many, or do you have to be more selective on harvest numbers. We don't fish small bodies of water much or at all, just lakes in MN.

Really depends on the body of water. If you stocked a pond- and you don't have good water movement- they won't always reproduce. So you need to re stock it every 10 years or so. But the place I am fishing is so loaded with fish- I could take 30 walleye and crappie out every day for weeks and not touch the population. It's absurd

Side note- took a guy frogging today at my wife's grandfather pond- caught 30 GIANT bullfrogs. Those froglegs will be GOOD!!:)

Really depends on the body of water. If you stocked a pond- and you don't have good water movement- they won't always reproduce. So you need to re stock it every 10 years or so. But the place I am fishing is so loaded with fish- I could take 30 walleye and crappie out every day for weeks and not touch the population. It's absurd

Walleye reproduction in glacial streams and rivers is less than 1% in Iowa. Majority of Iowas population is based off a put and take. There is no chance those walleyes are spawning in your gravel pit regardless of running water.

On a side note, that place must be stacked with eyes if your able to catch limits like that. fish look healthy too, must be quite the population of baitfish in there. Good stuff!!

Last edited:
Walleye reproduction in glacial streams and rivers is less than 1% in Iowa. Majority of Iowas population is based off a put and take. There is no chance those walleyes are spawning in your gravel pit regardless of running water.

On a side note, that place must be stacked with eyes if your able to catch limits like that. fish look healthy too, must be quite the population of baitfish in there. Good stuff!!

It is an extremely healthy population. I would have to Lean towards they are reproducing in there though only because it hasn't flooded in there in years and we were catching quit a few 6-8" walleyes ice fishing this past winter. Along with catching a few 26-28" this spring. So there are huge mature females as well as pretty small walleyes. I would imagine with it being almost 50' deep
In areas and pumping water almost year round- it could be a perfect storm for them maybe???

It is an extremely healthy population. I would have to Lean towards they are reproducing in there though only because it hasn't flooded in there in years and we were catching quit a few 6-8" walleyes ice fishing this past winter. Along with catching a few 26-28" this spring. So there are huge mature females as well as pretty small walleyes. I would imagine with it being almost 50' deep
In areas and pumping water almost year round- it could be a perfect storm for them maybe???

Hmm interesting, the owners told you they aren't stocking it? Walleyes need gravel/sand and running water; like i said it's so unsuccessful in our streams that majority of the walleyes caught in this state are from stocking. Not sure how else you'd be catching 6-8" fish though if the owner isn't stocking it; hard to grasp that idea but like you said maybe it's the perfect storm??? I always knew there was a reason I switched degrees from fisheries to agronomy during my undergrad years, it's way to complicated :D

Hmm interesting, the owners told you they aren't stocking it? Walleyes need gravel/sand and running water; like i said it's so unsuccessful in our streams that majority of the walleyes caught in this state are from stocking. Not sure how else you'd be catching 6-8" fish though if the owner isn't stocking it; hard to grasp that idea but like you said maybe it's the perfect storm??? I always knew there was a reason I switched degrees from fisheries to agronomy during my undergrad years, it's way to complicated :D

100% not being stocked and the bottom is exactly that- gravel and sand :). Not sure if there is any mud bottom in the entire lake

If you are getting natural reproduction in there (free walleye) that is awesome!! I was on our lake association in MN, and we stock 50,000 fingerlings every year on our lake which is 8,000 acres.

Fingerlings work the best as the sunfish, perch and crappies often eat the fry.

This year we are seeing a bunch of short walleye, which almost has to be from natural reproduction...some years good natural reproduction and others nothing.

100% not being stocked and the bottom is exactly that- gravel and sand :). Not sure if there is any mud bottom in the entire lake

Crazy stuff if in fact they are reproducing. Is there a small stream or creek that connects to the quarry that fish could potential "run up" or something that has some type of current structure as I believe in order for eggs to become fertile mother nature (current) has to come into play.

Regardless, you have one sweet spot to fish if you're catching quality fish like that on a consistent basis especially so close to the metro area.

Crazy stuff if in fact they are reproducing. Is there a small stream or creek that connects to the quarry that fish could potential "run up" or something that has some type of current structure as I believe in order for eggs to become fertile mother nature (current) has to come into play.

Regardless, you have one sweet spot to fish if you're catching quality fish like that on a consistent basis especially so close to the metro area.

There isn't a stream anywhere into it- but they run a massive pump year round that would create a pretty good current/stream

Last edited:
Top Bottom