Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Kodiak fishing

goatman

I hunt days ending in Y
Slow around here. And I was out of fish so off to Kodiak Island. My third trip there and love it. Spent two days ocean fishing and two days on the river catching sockeye salmon.

First halibut was my best on day 1. 90 lbs. Second day was a 50 lb'er and smallest on the boat of keepers.
picture.php

On the way out the second day we ran into a group of about 12 whales feeding on bait fish right around the boat. Also saw several killer whales the first day.

picture.php

Our box of fish before we dropped off at the fish processor. Second day. Halibut,lingcod,king salmon,silver salmon.pink salmon,rock fish,and yelloweye.
picture.php

We then went to the river riding on side by sides about a 18 mile trip. Caught 24 sockeye salmon over two days. Yum. Together two us flew out of Kodiak with 275 lbs. of fish checked in as baggage. I'm set for a couple of years.

That's a great experience! Looks like a good time and probably a lot cooler up there.

I just returned as well. Sounds like you hit it perfect with the salmon. We were near the town of Anchor Point near Homer did really well with Halibut but not any real big ones. There were some reds or sock eyes in the Russian and Kenia but those were mostly being dip netted which is resident only. Our group of 3 brought home 338 pounds of vacuum sealed fillets.
The weather was perfect and we could see Kodiak to the west of us.

That's a great experience! Looks like a good time and probably a lot cooler up there.

Actually it was the hottest days of summer for them. 80's and the motels have no AC just ceiling fans. Did drop down to 60 at night though. :D:grin:

Ya done got me fired up! Wife & I go for our annual trip the end of August. Usually a good time to get silvers as well as halibut fishing the inside passage. Love AK!!!

Can I ask how much does it cost to ship that much fish?

Ballpark?

We brought them back as extra luggage.
I think the first two bags cost $35 apiece then $75 apiece after that on Alaska Air. We looked at Ak air cargo and it was a alittle more plus we would have to drive to St. Louis to pick up. Bigger catch and that would have been the way to go.

We do the AK trip every year. Oh for the days when you could check two 50# boxes per person as "baggage" per person for no cost... Trick is to pack all your gear & clothes etc. as carry on baggage. Last year I think between my wife & I we brought back six 50# boxes of salmon, halibut & rockfish for less than $300.

So this may be cost effective grocery shopping with the views and beauty of a lifetime. Awesome catches and fun. I did it 6-7 years ago and what a place. Congrats on the fish and trip.

This sounds like a great trip. Where do you guys go as far as lodging/ outfitters? What's the rough cost on a trip like this if you don't mind sharing? sounds like something the family might enjoy.

Rather than a lodge type trip, we have done a unique "sport fishing cruise" with Wild Alaska Cruises. I think this will be our 10th year with Larry and crew on the "Perseverance". It is a very unique way to fish the inside passage of SE Alaska. Calmer waters than open ocean fishing (no sea sickness worries), great fishing (species depends on time of year), scenery, wildlife viewing and treated like royalty! Check them out at http://wildalaskacruises.com/. It's not the cheapest way to fill a freezer, but if you go, you won't be sorry. It is a trip you won't ever forget! In full disclosure, I get a free hat every year whether I advertise for them or not. :D

Alaska

We do the AK trip every year. Oh for the days when you could check two 50# boxes per person as "baggage" per person for no cost... Trick is to pack all your gear & clothes etc. as carry on baggage. Last year I think between my wife & I we brought back six 50# boxes of salmon, halibut & rockfish for less than $300.

That is actually reasonable and you can't beat it on the table, plus healthy!

Looks very fun, I would like to go sometime in the next 5 years.

We brought them back as extra luggage.
I think the first two bags cost $35 apiece then $75 apiece after that on Alaska Air. We looked at Ak air cargo and it was a alittle more plus we would have to drive to St. Louis to pick up. Bigger catch and that would have been the way to go.

That will last a long time too! Definitely a must in the future.

We drive to Msp and flew non stop
To anchorage flew sun country. I checked 3 boxes for a total of 125.00 not bad.
We fish with friends on there boat so the cost isn't relative for us. The going rate on charters in the homer area seems to be about 250.00 per person per
Day.
This has got me thinking that since I didn't draw as any tags out west this year I would head to the Atlantic and catch some tuna have some friends with a boat there as well. One of the above posts describe a trip on a live aboard boat that that is truly a world class adventure it allows you to fish areas not accessed by the day chart groups resulting in much better fishing.
Any one thinking of doing this Do It it is that cool.

Top Bottom