Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lake Michigan

LYON

PMA Member
I had the opportunity to go over to Kenosha Wisconsin with my dad, brother, brother-in-law and nephew this weekend to fish for some salmon and trout on lake michigan. We loaded up Saturday afternoon and headed out for about a 5 hour drive to Kenosha. Sunday morning rolled around and we were at the Marina at a little before 4 am to board with Captain Frank at twentyfourvii outfitters. The weather and sunrise was beautiful out on the water and our anticipation was high since they had been catching good fish and good quantities for the last week or so. Unfortunately, that changed a bit and we had a tough time getting the salmon to bite when the "should" have. Our captain was talking to a bunch of other charter's fishing the same area and they were all experiencing the same thing. Fish showing on the finders but they weren't wanting to bite. Regardless, it was still a blast and we ended up landing 6 fish including, 1 King salmon, 1 Silver salmon, 1 Steelhead trout and 4 lake trout. The smallest fish was about 2-3 pounds and the largest was probably 6 or 7. We had a 12 pounder at the boat but netting it didn't go as planned and it lived to see another day.

I'm not much of a fisherman but this was definitely worth doing, and really is pretty reasonable price wise. I'll definitely be going back in the future and wouldn't hesitate to go back with Frank again.
Here's the steelhead that I caught.

And a group photo with one fish still in the cooler.

That's funny. We were over in Kenosha Friday-Sunday for a bachelor party. We had 3 boats for Saturday morning and one of which was with Frank! Two boats did 15 each and the third only caught 2 (only fished Saturday morning). It's a great trip and if you can get booked at the harbor side best western it makes it sooooooo easy!

That's funny. We were over in Kenosha Friday-Sunday for a bachelor party. We had 3 boats for Saturday morning and one of which was with Frank! Two boats did 15 each and the third only caught 2 (only fished Saturday morning). It's a great trip and if you can get booked at the harbor side best western it makes it sooooooo easy!

Small world. Any preference on Frank vs. the other charter's?

I did not fish with Frank but, the guys that did said they would go with him again. He had low catch for the day but, one of our guys goes up there on his own a couple times a year and said he is a really good capt., just had a bad day that day. We booked thru Arnie and his boat is the Phoenix. He is a legit BA. Trolling out there is all about luck. Once they get off the hill in morning it is a complete crap shoot. We never even fished the hill cause you get about 30 mins right away and they start running for the deeper water. We were out farther and worked back towards the hill so we were in the fish most of the morning. Hit a couple good schools of steel heads that made it interesting as we were hooked up on quads a couple different times.

I would not be scared to fish with Frank from what I have heard about him. He is there at 3:15 in the morning tying leads and rigs up. Sounds pretty dedicated to me.

Some buddies and I would do that trip twice a year. The captain of the boat we would has since passed away. We would always stay in the old firehouse that has been converted over to lodging right at the marina. Always a great trip.

Top Bottom